2010 Blue Devils Show announcement

I would not pretend to speak for any particular corps, but I do have a general observation from over a couple decades of writing the DCI program books. Sometimes, it takes awhile for music licensing issues to be resolved and corps don't release the repertoires until that is remedied. I'm not saying was or wasn't what happened here, but it's certainly a possibility for any corps.

The show repertoire would have been released sometime before the season, so every day it isn't released is a day closer to when it is released and each day brings a greater chance that happens. So, I wouldn't read anything into the release other than it was time.

And to think we had to go to the first show to find out what corps were playing.

I was just being a ( ) !

G

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. if we're used in the show, maybe we fans could get royalties paid to us for our " Master Pieces " being used without our copyrght approval.

I think that's fair. Under what category would you place the fans at a DCI event? For copyright purposes. Hmmmmmmm..........occasionally animated. :tongue:

I think that's fair. Under what category would you place the fans at a DCI event? For copyright purposes. Hmmmmmmm..........occasionally animated. :tongue:

" The Heavenly Choir and Congregation "..... or " The Motley Crue "....you decide. Plan9.

Listening now to the "City of Glass"CD- the "Incident in Jazz" is a pretty cool piece- And yeah, Graettinger is kind of like Charlie Parker collided head-on with Charles Ives, even moreso than I remembered. The guy's a sheer genius and really unique, but not easy to listen to...

I have a feeling this show will be a "Those who like that sort of thing will REALLY like this sort of thing" show.

Those who don't are gonna get headaches. :tongue:

Yeah, definitely! All I know is there's not a lot of material they can effectievly use from the "City of Glass" itself- but they're utilizing so many works that all they need is no more than a minute's worth at most.

The big problem that they then have to solve is to make sure the show doesn't end up starting ideas and breaking away abruptly before concise and coherent musical thoughts and ideas are completed. Some modern programs tend to try and stuff 10 pounds of potatoes into a 5 pound sack and end up sounding like the writers have ADD. :tongue:

I was just being a ( ) !

G

Are you hoping I disagree with you? :tongue:

Edited to make grammatical sense.

Edited by Michael Boo

Sounds like it going to be a good show! We shall see. :tongue:

Well, if it's half the show 91 was (I called 91 the 'oh...you didn't like us all positive and happy last year...well, take THIS then...) then I'm going to absolutely LOVE IT! 91 was, in my humble opinion, the finest brass performance in drum corps...ever. It's is the be all end all of drum corps brass. Yes - many other fine and wonderful shows...some I actually marched in. But the 1991 Blue Devils horn line - simply the best. And a lot of that had to do with what they were charged with playing. 2010 is looking like another opportunity for something like that.

As for La Suerta: Gimme Art West (yeah...I know...not possible for many reasons...one major one in particular...) but still...

Ok - gimme Scott Tiret! Yeah - THAT I would really truly love...

Edited by FHdork