2010 Blue Devils Show announcement

Well, if it's half the show 91 was (I called 91 the 'oh...you didn't like us all positive and happy last year...well, take THIS then...) then I'm going to absolutely LOVE IT! 91 was, in my humble opinion, the finest brass performance in drum corps...ever. It's is the be all end all of drum corps brass. Yes - many other fine and wonderful shows...some I actually marched in. But the 1991 Blue Devils horn line - simply the best. And a lot of that had to do with what they were charged with playing. 2010 is looking like another opportunity for something like that.

As for La Suerta: Gimme Art West (yeah...I know...not possible for many reasons...one major one in particular...) but still...

Ok - gimme Scott Tiret! Yeah - THAT I would really truly love...

I'd argue for the BD '93 book if you want to talk sheer brass technical geekitude. :tongue:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first heard the Kenton City of Glass CD, I thought "OMG, that's some crazy, far-out stuff." THANK YOU, Wayne Downey, for returning BD to its roots of difficult, aggresive, hard-hitting jazz! It's what you do best and what we always want to hear from you!! BALLS!!!!!!!! :tongue::tongue::worthy::doh::doh:

Yeah, definitely! All I know is there's not a lot of material they can effectievly use from the "City of Glass" itself- but they're utilizing so many works that all they need is no more than a minute's worth at most.

The big problem that they then have to solve is to make sure the show doesn't end up starting ideas and breaking away abruptly before concise and coherent musical thoughts and ideas are completed. Some modern programs tend to try and stuff 10 pounds of potatoes into a 5 pound sack and end up sounding like the writers have ADD. :tongue:

Agree here......look like to many pieces all jammed in to one show. Someone provided some links to samples (On amazon) of the tunes BD is presenting.....and I must say.....it sounds a lot like the BD of recent years.

We shall see I guess.........but I have to say...that I am not getting a vibe their 2010 offering will scream BD Jazz..... :tongue:

Edited by Triple Forte

OK - I'd never heard of City of Glass...so, I hop over to good 'ol Youtube...and there it is -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1F_L8IojuA

YIKES! I've played far more than my share of Schoenberg...and Graettinger could be the love child he had with Alma Mahler...or perhaps Hedy Lamar (Schoenberg lived quite a long time in LA...) - and that's what this sounds quite a lot like - 2nd Viennese school meets progressive jazz. I'm just about to the 4 minute mark, and while I'm liking it, I'm wondering if drum corps fans will like it. Perhaps this part is not going to be part of the BD show...

Here's another clip from the album:

I'd love to know what y'all think about this...

OK - I'd never heard of City of Glass...so, I hop over to good 'ol Youtube...and there it is -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1F_L8IojuA

YIKES! I've played far more than my share of Schoenberg...and Graettinger could be the love child he had with Alma Mahler...or perhaps Hedy Lamar (Schoenberg lived quite a long time in LA...) - and that's what this sounds quite a lot like - 2nd Viennese school meets progressive jazz. I'm just about to the 4 minute mark, and while I'm liking it, I'm wondering if drum corps fans will like it. Perhaps this part is not going to be part of the BD show...

Here's another clip from the album:

I'd love to know what y'all think about this...

i listened, dissonance is the first word I could think of, blink. It's been a long time since I heard Stan Kenton. thnx :-)

So, I had a friend who saw their preview the other day and was blown away at 1) how good the hornline sounded this early (even for BD) and 2) how hip the arrangements were and "old school BD" like they sounded. He said that while most people will listen to "City of Glass" and think it is all dissonance and unmusical, that they have done a great job of taking the best of the tunes and making them fit the theme in a very fresh and musical way.

My guess is that while it will have to have some moments of trueness (is that a word?) to the original music, most will be arranged in a way to make it accessible to the audience and judging community. Based on the tune list, I am thinking that most of these are the stand alone pieces and that the other 2 or 3 listed are very short clips in a production. I just don't think it will be a big mash of many tunes this year, but more developed arrangements in this show. Call me crazy...

It sounds like this may end up being alot like the 91 show and if so, I have a feeling we may all fall in love with the BD hornline again! Well, I never really left I guess.. :tongue:

BD on a King hornline again+ Kenton = smokin!!

i listened, dissonance is the first word I could think of, blink. It's been a long time since I heard Stan Kenton. thnx :-)

By Kenton Standards, Bob Graettinger is by far the most obtuse and eccentric composer that ever wrote for him. Very controversial. Even Bill Russo, likely the second next-most obtuse Kenton composer, (likely best known for his composition "This is an Orchestra!") disliked Graettinger's compositions intensely.

This "Innovations Orchestra" period was pretty avant garde/experimental- using French Horns and a string section, etc.

A lot of people aren't warmed up to this era- exceptions being the pieces written for Maynard Ferguson and Conte Candoli that were titled for them- it isn't popular.

Now, "Los Suerte", using the later Neophonic Orchestra (aka the "Mellophone Band"), much, mucch more popular, esp amongst Drum Corps freaks.

So even by Kenton standards, the music chosen for this show is very dissonant. Compare it to his 70's bands- a total shift in harmonic techniques and intrumentation as well. Not as familiar with the Rugolo selections (kudos to BD for finding stuff a Kenton junkie like myself doesn't have LOL), but I have a guess they're much more accessible than Graettinger. The "Incident in Jazz" piece I believe will be very much in the traditional mold of BD- it's a fine work that if it's done right should land a few hard blows to your jaw when they put the horns into the stands and cut loose on the shouts.

I've always thought BD should build the City of Glass on the field and explore it with us when I first heard the album and read the liner around 1983-4. The original 10 inch liner notes were really wonderful to read- unfortunately an ex owns that album and I don't- unless I made off with it. Will look in a couple of weeks and see if I did take it and will ttype it out if I do. It's about time BD paid a visit to a unique Kenton landscape- could be a really neat program if we're fortunate. :tongue: