The OFFICIAL Phantom Regiment Thread

To use 16? I dunno...maybe some peer pressure, maybe that's just the way JD wanted to write the score.

For going back to 12...it definitely cleans up the visual. plus it's hard to find high quality tuba players who can march. the more you have it seems as if you'd be running the risk of diluting the quality.

That's not the first time I've heard that less contras cleans up a show visually, and that is a strong point. Also, I was sort of thinking last season that even if you found 16 top-notch players, good intonation becomes more difficult with each contra added. That is, it seems that 12 contras much closer to one-another pitch-wise have the potential to sound just as big as 16 when they are just the SLIGHTEST bit off.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not the first time I've heard that less contras cleans up a show visually, and that is a strong point. Also, I was sort of thinking last season that even if you found 16 top-notch players, good intonation becomes more difficult with each contra added. That is, it seems that 12 contras much closer to one-another pitch-wise have the potential to sound just as big as 16 when they are just the SLIGHTEST bit off.

16 Tubas succeeding with great pitch:

Not to mention the 16 of Crown and Cavies in 2009.

For 2010 Bloo is going 16 again, and Blue Stars have 16 in their recent pics. I assume Crown is too.

16 is needed for 80-member hornlines, especially if they have to cover the entire field. Cadets usually stage the tubas so well, that it's not necessarily required.

All of that said, BD and SCV got away with 12 players and doubling in the synth....is that the future? Hope not...We need the judges to start SPANKING those corps for covering the tubas with synth sound.

Oh, and Phantom will be fine, no matter how many tubas they march.

16 Tubas succeeding with great pitch:

Not to mention the 16 of Crown and Cavies in 2009.

For 2010 Bloo is going 16 again, and Blue Stars have 16 in their recent pics. I assume Crown is too.

16 is needed for 80-member hornlines, especially if they have to cover the entire field. Cadets usually stage the tubas so well, that it's not necessarily required.

All of that said, BD and SCV got away with 12 players and doubling in the synth....is that the future? Hope not...We need the judges to start SPANKING those corps for covering the tubas with synth sound.

Oh, and Phantom will be fine, no matter how many tubas they march.

I agree with you WITH GUSTO on one point specifically: using synth to increase bass (or almost any other) voice is, in my opinion, cheating. Don't want to hack anyone off by saying it, but I really think it is.

Also, thanks for the link. I had not seen that before, and it was awesome.

it's about time Regiment released another "behind the scenes" video. *hint hint*
How about a current member or an instructor giving us an insight on this year's show?

OK, don't get used to it, but I've taken your suggestions ;)

I've just posted (on facebook and fan network) an 8 minute video of all 5 members of the design staff discussing the show concept complete with views of drill charts, costume designs and original music.

In return, I've promised Rick that our facebook page would be up to 30,000 fans by their first show in Charleston, WV on June 21st. Please help me out by inviting all your friends and family.

Edited by rcawth