Shirts on!

Whenever I marched, there were certain times we had to wear shirts during the summer. Usually we were required to wear them inside schools (not too big of a deal). Sometimes if we were doing a clinic or something, we had to put them on so we looked "presentable". I've also been in situations where the housing site we've stayed at required that we wore them. One of my friends marched Madison '05 and he told me that their Finals housing site required them to wear shirts :(

Anyway, have any of you had to deal with this during the summer? I know it sounds kind of trivial, but this is the sort of things that we'd get really upset about during tour.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shirts on = family show/clinic.

It also equals a greatly reduced chance of melanoma or other skin cancers later in life.

Read this.

Edited by Michael Boo

Whenever I marched, there were certain times we had to wear shirts during the summer. Usually we were required to wear them inside schools (not too big of a deal). Sometimes if we were doing a clinic or something, we had to put them on so we looked "presentable". I've also been in situations where the housing site we've stayed at required that we wore them. One of my friends marched Madison '05 and he told me that their Finals housing site required them to wear shirts :(

Anyway, have any of you had to deal with this during the summer? I know it sounds kind of trivial, but this is the sort of things that we'd get really upset about during tour.

I agree with Michael about the melanoma issue; and I would add the word sunscreen to wearing the shirt. Also, corps members have to realize that while on tour, they are actually guests staying at someone else’s house. They should be respectful, as well as thankful, that these people have opened up their home to a group of strangers. So, if someone is willing to give you a place to sleep, and a place to shower, a place to sit down and eat, a place to rehearse, and the most that they ask in return is just for you to put on a shirt while on their property, try to be grateful, not selfish.

New UVSunSense Wristband alerts you when it's time to reapply SPF.

sunsense-travel-2-0509-lg-73108215.jpg

The recyclable wristbands work simply by simultaneously applying sunscreen to the band and your body. When the band's purple color fades, it's time to reapply. When the words "apply sunscreen to this side" disappear, it's time to apply more sunscreen. Because the bands sense the potency of the sunscreen, the bands take a break from the sun when you do.

It also equals a greatly reduced chance of melanoma or other skin cancers later in life.

Read this.

Yeah, been there. Marched many years, then I had to march myself into Sloan Kettering.

I was lucky.

Shirts, hat and lotion should be mandatory outside. I'm off the soapbox.

If you're getting upset about having to look presentable for a meal or a school or whatever, then maybe your peers and you have become a little to self-interested. I'm not meaning that as a slam. I marched, I was a bit self-absorbed in the summer, it's the nature of the beast.

It's just a shirt. Simply put it on without a second thought about it and keep doing your job. It won't affect you whatsoever if you keep it in perspective.