Shirts on!

I agree with Michael about the melanoma issue; and I would add the word sunscreen to wearing the shirt. Also, corps members have to realize that while on tour, they are actually guests staying at someone else’s house. They should be respectful, as well as thankful, that these people have opened up their home to a group of strangers. So, if someone is willing to give you a place to sleep, and a place to shower, a place to sit down and eat, a place to rehearse, and the most that they ask in return is just for you to put on a shirt while on their property, try to be grateful, not selfish.

To play devil's advocate, if you think most of these schools where corps stay aren't getting paid cash money for the privilege, you are quite mistaken.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To play devil's advocate, if you think most of these schools where corps stay aren't getting paid cash money for the privilege, you are quite mistaken.

Not sure where you got your information, but as a former "tour event partner" who helped my wife run up to three shows a year during the past 10 years, I can tell you that 90 to 95 percent of the housing sites for our shows didn't ask for any money for the "privilege," as you put it. We always gave them a dozen or so complimentary tickets to the show for some of their band kids, but as far as cash money, nope.

Yes, for DCI championships and the major regionals, many of the schools are paid to house corps. But for the local shows, who struggle to make a profit after paying the corps, judges, judge's hotels, etc., paying for most or all of the housing sites is simply not an option. If not for the genuine goodness of great band directors and school administrators who put THEIR butts on the line every time they let a corps stay in their facility, there would not be a tour. Period. End of story.

And to the OP and other current marching members: if schools ask that corps members wear shirts, please be a gracious guest and abide by their request without any whining. And be thankful that they are willing to host your corps.

Edited by oldsoprano

So, you find this a laughing matter; so be it; that is your choice. Just be aware that you have decided to find that a life cut short and destroyed by painful tumors rotting the skin from the inside out to be trivial; the only thing worse than it happening to you is watching a loved one go through the excruciationg experience. I pray that you wise up before you have to go through this with one of your loved ones. I watched as my uncle, who was a construction worker, lose his face like it was slow melting wax. It got to the point near the end where medicine did not dull the horrible pain. I watched my aunt stay by his side, and she held him in her arms as he expired. Wake up young man; this is no laughing matter.
Oh, gee, I'm glad that's funny to you!

oh Jesus, settle!

I lol'd at the sign that boo put up, not at cancer , geebus.

Not sure where you got your information, but as a former "tour event partner" who helped my wife run up to three shows a year during the past 10 years, I can tell you that 90 to 95 percent of the housing sites for our shows didn't ask for any money for the "privilege," as you put it. We always gave them a dozen or so complimentary tickets to the show for some of their band kids, but as far as cash money, nope.

Yes, for DCI championships and the major regionals, many of the schools are paid to house corps. But for the local shows, who struggle to make a profit after paying the corps, judges, judge's hotels, etc., paying for most or all of the housing sites is simply not an option. If not for the genuine goodness of great band directors and school administrators who put THEIR butts on the line every time they let a corps stay in their facility, there would not be a tour. Period. End of story.

And to the OP and other current marching members: if schools ask that corps members wear shirts, please be a gracious guest and abide by their request without any whining. And be thankful that they are willing to host your corps.

WOW !!!!! Im not sure where you come from BUT most people couldnt get 1 hr of rehearsal time without a big price tag attached from a school or board of ED

oh Jesus, settle!

I lol'd at the sign that boo put up, not at cancer , geebus.

I'm frequently the source of misunderstanding...or at least I try to be.

so now we know who really wrote the PowerPoint!

I not going to take credit for that one. I'm still getting grief for creating the "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banner on the aircraft carrier that President Bush flew onto early in the Iraq War.

The sun hitting my bare back for the first time in years basically cleared up my acne problem that I've had for the past 5 years.

As for the hat rule, I always get by being allowed to wear a bandana. My corps has a rule that when you're on a field you need something on your head and a dotbook.

for the record, we pay for some housing sites here in Erie,...........with real money!