Who will blink first - G7 or S(sweet)16?

Thought I'd bump this up with this tidbit...

I got second hand (for what that's worth) knowledge today that at least three, and maybe four, BOD of the G7 were mostly unaware of the actual proposal and were taken completely off guard. In fact, some are still in discussion of their position and at least one has a board meeting coming up where they plan to introduce and discuss the subject for the first time.

Also, at least one of the directors found out about the proposal via the leak here and made calls to members of his board and to other G7 board members, and got :blink: in reply.

The suggestion is that several (many) of the new members of DCP are board members following up and trying to get a handle on what exactly was presented via discussion here. :satisfied:

Two major implication, IMO:

1. The path to G7 acceptance may be less certain than originally contended in the proposal, and

2. Don't discount the impact of the discussions of many of the G7 threads. Yea, the directors may enjoy our discussion of uni colors and rep, but they're here to get feedback from the most hard-core of the activity fan base.

Just sayin'...

well...if two BOD members were removed, and 2 resigned, I can understand the number 3 discussed.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have no idea who I speak with in and around DCI.

No, I do not go to finals. Having a wife who dislikes drum corps makes that sort of thing tough. I attend the shows I can, DCI and DCA, bring my band members to shows, and belong to my corps alumni association. I also go to 1/4 finals at the theaters now. And I donate $$ as well and purchase souvies.

no we don't know who you speak to. But it seems Jeff himself was quite clear on what he meant

• 1 month later...

gseven blinked first. Nice name change. My kid coulda picked a better name.

If the gseven leave, they should do it on there own. No involvement in DCI period.

No shows, no touring, no promoting, nothing.

Have fun with trying to get kids, to have a 9 show summer.

I wont go. I will not support you. But I will be at the 2011 DCI World Championships.

I think by Sunday we will be close to what I would call the baby3, not the gseven and then you can call it HGF.

(Hopkins, Gibbs, Fiedler).

All you HGF lovers can have them, have fun. Ill stick with Marching Musics Major League,

DCI!

I know this is a hypothetical but here is something to ponder: DCI did survive Star leaving but that was just one corps; and many fans went to see DCI and Brass Theater / Blast. However, what if the Cadets, BD, SCV, Regiment, and two other top DCI corps had joined Star on their for-profit venture into the Brass Theater and Blast. Would DCI have kept enough of a solid fan base in the mid-nineties to remain viable?

I don't think the management of Star decided to leave DCI because they weren't seeing enough profits from the shows they were participating in. Or that they didn't feel they had enough voting influence on the BOD. They were a financially healthy drum corps, maybe the only one through 1993. In the 90's nobody (directors or management) had the greed to desire what the G7 is devising. Drum corps was still about the competition on the field, for the most part. Fans would have had this same reaction to a group exodus whenever it would have happened. The only time you don't hear the fan's outcries has been when corps have folded. That sadness is conducted in privacy. Where was the outcry when 27th Lancers folded? or Suncoast Sound? or Bridgemen? or Freelancers? Most old-time fans can name 50 corps that were around in the 1980's but no longer exist. There is where the injustice is. If these G7 corps want to split from DCI, then fail miserably and end up folding in 3-5 years, let them, the joke's on them. The corps that went before them will have at least met their demise with dignity and a fan base that truly supported them to the end.

well...if two BOD members were removed, and 2 resigned, I can understand the number 3 discussed.

Seriously? If there were G7 directors who weren't even aware of this proposal and are seemingly forming the future of DCI, it makes me wonder, is this how they manage their corps? Maybe explains why they can't keep money in their pockets, can't even keep track of what they believe in anymore.

Looking at the differences between the Hopkins powerpoint and the WSoDC report it seems as though the G7 has already blinked. That, or the G7 are not all on the same page and are issuing contradictory statements, in which case DCI has already won.

People are overestimating the G7's position and underestimating DCI's. The G7 may be DCI's top draw, and they have used that as a bargaining chip in the past. But when Hopkins came out with that outrageous, insulting proposal the influence of the G7 over the rest of DCI evaporated. He may not do many without thinking them through carefully, but he made a serious blunder there. The leaked documents, the "anonymous sources" in the DCW article, the Acheson letter -- all evidence of a deep, unprecedented anger within DCI. The transcripts of the meetings that took place in May could not be printed here without heavy censorship. The G7 seem to have been taken aback by this response, so now there is a good deal of bitterness and anger on either side that will make any negotiation very, very difficult.

DCI has the upper hand, however, because the proposals revealed that the G7 are in fact quite afraid of leaving DCI. Maybe they can make it on their own, but they don't seem very willing to take on such a tremendous risk. Any threats to leave ring hollow, so DCI and the other corps only need to stonewall the G7 and they will most likely come out on top. This has worked already, resulting in a new proposal (assuming the G7 are working together, which is a big assumption) that is much less drastic than the original powerpoint. It's still unacceptable, and it's not likely DCI or the other corps are any more willing to negotiate now than they were earlier. Either the G7 will blink again, and agree to stick to DCI's established rules and principles, or they will let their anger get the better of them and make a dangerous leap they may not really want to make.

The behavior pattern suggests that the G7 will make another proposal, probably focusing on the super-duper shows and the money for them, and temporarily conceding some of the power-grab aspects of their earlier proposal.

Just wanted to point out that audiodb got this 100% correct back on June 8.

The G-7 proposal is dead.

Now, if some people in and out of the the G-7 want to stand by the gravesite after the casket's been lowered into the ground, we should all be respectful with that, and give them the opportunity to linger a bit more there. We just need to be mindful that it's hard sometimes for some to let go of the deceased, and move on wth the business at hand.

Edited by BRASSO

The G-7 proposal is dead.

Now, if some people in and out of the the G-7 want to stand by the gravesite after the casket's been lowered into the ground, we should all be respectful with that, and give them the opportunity to linger a bit more there. We just need to be mindful that it's hard sometimes for some to let go of the deceased, and move on wth the business at hand.

Let's just hope Hop isn't a casket crawler.

The preceeding was an obsure reference to an episode of "Six Feet Under" brought to mind by the graveside analogy. Sorry, it's just how my brain works.

QUOTE (audiodb @ Jun 8 2010, 11:49 AM)

The behavior pattern suggests that the G7 will make another proposal, probably focusing on the super-duper shows and the money for them, and temporarily conceding some of the power-grab aspects of their earlier proposal.

Just wanted to point out that audiodb got this 100% correct back on June 8.

The scary part of that prediction are the words "temporarily conceding".

Sort of like someone temporarily accepting that his proposal for amplification, narration, increased corps sizes, electronics, woodwinds didn't pass again this year.