Who will blink first - G7 or S(sweet)16?

No, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the G7 haters. All of the sudden, DCI is wonderful.

Well, all of a sudden, DCI has a plan for growth.

(b/c the top corps think it's broken.)

Actually, as far as we know, only Hopkins thinks it's broken. The G7 press release makes no such claim.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the G7 haters. All of the sudden, DCI is wonderful. (b/c the top corps think it's broken.)

I'm a "G7 Hater" and I've never claimed that DCI was broken. I've always thought it was doing a good job. The two opinions are not a zero-sum contention.

(No one knows what will happen. But the G7 people want to try something different. Bring it on.)

How many "something different"s must we experience before we finally see that we're being led by the Pied Piper?

Electronics

Voice

Synths

150 members

Pre-show

tour schedule

etc

etc

etc

When is one of the Pied Pipers proposals going to actually increase interest instead of just increase cost?

No, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the G7 haters. All of the sudden, DCI is wonderful. (b/c the top corps think it's broken.)

We do not "hate" the Cadets, BD, SCV, Cavies, Crown, Regiment, or Bluecoats; We just want their directors to live by their own commitment, responsibility, and duty to honor the DCI mission statement in which they agreed to be "charitable" to "all" corps withn DCI. Your spin would serve you well as the Congressional Senate Majority leader, but not in this forum!

We do not "hate" the Cadets, BD, SCV, Cavies, Crown, Regiment, or Bluecoats; We just want their directors to live by their own commitment, responsibility, and duty to honor the DCI mission statement in which they agreed to be "charitable" to "all" corps withn DCI. Your spin would serve you well as the Congressional Senate Majority leader, but not in this forum!

Yea, thanks. Ditto.

In fact, I appreciate and am thankful to each and every member of each and every G7 corps. And I thank each and every corps director of the G7 for what they've given me in the past. It's this future, destructive "vision" thing of theirs that has me torqued.

How many "something different"s must we experience before we finally see that we're being led by the Pied Piper?

Electronics

Voice

Synths

150 members

Pre-show

tour schedule

etc

etc

etc

When is one of the Pied Pipers proposals going to actually increase interest instead of just increase cost?

You're being too kind, given that many of these changes appear to have DECREASED interest, judging by shrinking audience numbers and more lukewarm audience responses.

Yes, claims that "the sky is falling" are as old as drum corps itself. Yes, claims that one change or another would "kill drum corps" have been made every decade. BUT, it's worth remembering that, in the "Boy Who Cried Wolf," there WAS a real wolf, and he ate the boy just as quickly, not caring that the boy had cried wolf a dozen times before.

My fear is that, this time, we really are looking the wolf in the face.

oh no, DCI still has some flaws. many of us have pointed them out time and time again, which usually gets you rallying to their defense.

You're being too kind, given that many of these changes appear to have DECREASED interest, judging by shrinking audience numbers and more lukewarm audience responses.

Yes, claims that "the sky is falling" are as old as drum corps itself. Yes, claims that one change or another would "kill drum corps" have been made every decade. BUT, it's worth remembering that, in the "Boy Who Cried Wolf," there WAS a real wolf, and he ate the boy just as quickly, not caring that the boy had cried wolf a dozen times before.

My fear is that, this time, we really are looking the wolf in the face.

(wolf = elitism)

Big difference between G7 and start of DCI is corps had the option of joining DCI or not.

You "joined" by making Finals. Those corps who didn't make Finals didn't get votes, and didn't get guaranteed finalist money the next season. It was a merit-based membership, just as the 8th slot in the proposed Tournament of Champion shows would be.

Edited by mobrien

I really wish the G7 would just split from DCI and go do their own thing. They could have their dog and pony show complete with fireworks, water all over the field, woodwinds, whatever they like -- so they would be happy, and so would the real corps that would remain in DCI. It would be nice to see Madison, BAC, X-men, BK, etc... battling over trophies again.