Who will blink first - G7 or S(sweet)16?

No, I don't. The 1994 Blue Devils never went up against Star of Indiana. Does anyone think any less of '94 BD on that account?

The DCI champion is the best of the corps that show up to compete for the honor. If the G7 don't show, that leaves the DCI title for Boston Crusaders, Blue Stars and Glassmen to fight for....and Blue Knights....and Troopers....and Colts....and Academy....and Madison....hmmm, that could get very interesting.

With these corps in the running for such high honors, I would not be surprised to see a number of them step it up as marchers and staff interested in DCI competition vie for positions with these corps.

I agree. What's left will be the epitome' of "drum corps" ..the seven defectors woill become nothing more than marching pageantry, a touring group of goofy, competition-less schlock, might even see those haitrails come back, along with three rings, animals, fire-batons, 200 members, clarinets, saxophones, light shows....and none competing for the DCI title.

G

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't. The 1994 Blue Devils never went up against Star of Indiana. Does anyone think any less of '94 BD on that account?

The DCI champion is the best of the corps that show up to compete for the honor. If the G7 don't show, that leaves the DCI title for Boston Crusaders, Blue Stars and Glassmen to fight for....and Blue Knights....and Troopers....and Colts....and Academy....and Madison....hmmm, that could get very interesting.

With these corps in the running for such high honors, I would not be surprised to see a number of them step it up as marchers and staff interested in DCI competition vie for positions with these corps.

True, DCI survived when say the Kilties folded. But instead of Star leaving by themselves for a for-profit non-competative world like Broadway, what if Star, Cadets, BD, Cavaliers, Regiment, and SCV all left in '94 to form their own "competative" circuit. That would have been quite a different story, and more to my point, because there would have been two circuits involved with world of competition. Sort of like when CART and Indy Car split.

No way to know that, and it was not DCI's job to do so. I am glad that they have such a plan, absolutely. You can try and excuse corps from being responsible for their own success of failure all you want.

And you can try to excuse DCI from their past responsibilities, too. Good luck with that.

Point is, now DCI is pursuing growth. Too bad the G7 oppose that idea.

. I mean imagine the Seattle Mariners finally winning a World Series, but they never played at all against the Yankees, Cardinals, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Giants. MLB would survive, but the Mariners would always have an asterisk by their name. Get my point?

No, not really.Do we put an asterisk beside any of the NY Yankees titles prior to 1955 because no blacks played ? When the top college football teams deemphasized football by choice ( Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, etc ) do we put an asterisk beside teams that are now at the top, but no longer play the teams that went in another direction with their football teams, and are no longer part of the BCS and the alleged National Championship game ? If the G-7 went off to do their marching band shows outside DCI, it's possible that the non G-7 Corps will pick up the slack, draw better talent than some appear to think. And the last time I looked, I don't see any asterisks put on the Corps that won DCI in the immediate years after the Star of Indiana voluntarily let DCI to go in another direction outside DCI. Nobody says that those Champions may not have won had the Star of Indana remained in DCI to compete against them. Nor should they. if a Corps withdaws from competition, they naturally forfeit their rights to claim what they MIGHT have done. Nobody wants to hear of it. At least most people anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

True, DCI survived when say the Kilties folded. But instead of Star leaving by themselves for a for-profit non-competative world like Broadway, what if Star, Cadets, BD, Cavaliers, Regiment, and SCV all left in '94 to form their own "competative" circuit. That would have been quite a different story, and more to my point, because there would have been two circuits involved with world of competition. Sort of like when CART and Indy Car split.

oh we can certainly play the " what if " game to absurdity levels here if we wanted too. For instance, " what if " the 27th Lancers, Anaheim Kingsmen, Kilties, Blue Stars, Troopers, Madison Scouts, Santa Clara Vanguard formed a G-7 as the " TOP ACTS " right in the beginning of DCI where they created a sub group within the top of the World Class Division right from the getgo, selected their own judges for their group shows,, selected the sites, times, venues with those advantages, selected the better marketing, carved out a better revenue stream from the gate receipts, doubled their votes, and so forth ?

Can we all agree that if such a competitive system was rigged like this in 1972, that the Blue Devils, The Cadets, Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers,.... and probably a future Star of Indiana ...would have been dead in the water... with no chance... zip... nada.... of ever getting through such a totally rigged and lopsided system ? I mean nobody could make a compelling case that ( say) the Blue Devils from 1972-1975 would have been able to rise up through such a G-7 power grab scheme like this if it was implemented in 1972.... and then win the DCI Title by 1976. The Blue Devils would not have had a snowball's chance in hades of winning a DCI title. And neither would any of the other non G-7 Corps. It was the ABSENCE of such a group slotting, rigged system, that allowed these Corps to break through over the other " TOP ACTS " at that time to later claim their just glory. Now these Corps seem to have collective amnesia about all that.... and want to rig the system now so that the legitimate chance they once had, are no longer a legitimate dream for the other Corps. That's just another reason why this scheme makes those in the G-7 look so selfish, low class, and unseemly to so many outside observers and fans right now. I still hold out that the better heads.. if not the better angels... in at least a couple of these G-7 Corps will step back from this and decide this is not what brought them to the activity when they first felt the wonder of it all many years ago. Right now, they are lost, as lost as lost can be, about the original guiding principles and philosophies of DCI and what they once all believed in and held dear when they joined up many years ago. And this G-7 scheme of theirs ? They should be ashamed of themselves for putting together such a skunky scheme at this. It smells to high heaven.

Edited by BRASSO

oh we can certainly play the " what if " game to absurdity levels here if we wanted too. For instance, " what if " the 27th Lancers, Anaheim Kingsmen, Kilties, Blue Stars, Troopers, Madison Scouts, Santa Clara Vanguard formed a G-7 as the " TOP ACTS " right in the beginning of DCI where they created a sub group within the top of the World Class Division right from the getgo, selected their own judges for their group shows,, selected the sites, times, venues with those advantages, selected the better marketing, carved out a better revenue stream from the gate receipts, doubled their votes, and so forth ?

Can we all agree that if such a competitive system was rigged like this in 1972, that the Blue Devils, The Cadets, Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers,.... and probably a future Star of Indiana ...would have been dead in the water... with no chance... zip... nada.... of ever getting through such a totally rigged and lopsided system ? I mean nobody could make a compelling case that ( say) the Blue Devils from 1972-1975 would have been able to rise up through such a G-7 power grab scheme like this if it was implemented in 1972.... and then win the DCI Title by 1976. The Blue Devils would not have had a snowball's chance in hades of winning a DCI title. And neither would any of the other non G-7 Corps. It was the ABSENCE of such a group slotting, rigged system, that allowed these Corps to break through over the other " TOP ACTS " at that time to later claim their just glory. Now these Corps seemto have collective amnesia about all that.... and want to rig the system now so that the legitimate chance they once had, are no longer a legitimate dream for the other Corps. That's just another reason why this scheme makes those in the G-7 look so selfish, low class, and unseemly to so many outside observers and fans right now. I still hold out that the better heads.. if not the better angels... in at least a couple of these G-7 Corps will step back from this and decide this is not what brought them to the activity when they first felt the wonder of it all many years ago. Right now, they are lost, as lost as lost can be, about the original guiding principles and philosophies of DCI and what they once all believed in fundamentallty when it was founded, and when they jopined up, many years ago. And this G-7 scheme of theirs ? They should be ashamed of themselves for putting together such a skunky scheme at this. It smells to high heaven.

Good God, that was a beautiful paragraph.

It should be read at the July meeting.

I suspect some heads would bow among the G7.

But then, maybe not.

Excellent post, Brasso.

yet...those GSC corps jumped at the chance to perform at DCI shows too didn't they? and no pressure?

some would go to a show every now and then, esp if local. A few made the trek to champs at times too.

The corps I taught both attended the World Open prelims, Class 'B', not because it was a DCI show, but because it was the World Open.

There was no pressure on GSC corps to compete in DCI shows. We were pretty much irrelevant to them.

uh...Jeff Fiedler...competing with one arm tied behind your back? Phantom comes out without amps, and viola, adds em mid season> Pioneer on Bb?

yeah no pressure

Love it...you continue to misconstrue what Fielder said and clarified.

And you can try to excuse DCI from their past responsibilities, too. Good luck with that.

I do not 'try to excuse' them from anything. To do that would mean I think they had some sort of responsibility and that I said it was OK for them to ignore them. I disagree with your very contention.

Point is, now DCI is pursuing growth. Too bad the G7 oppose that idea.

I am glad they are, and where have I EVER said I agree with the G7 proposal?

how is it misconstrued Mike? Audiodb went and dug up the thread link last year, and it was spot on.

you can claim what you want, but the link he dug up supported exactly what I am saying, and others have too.

some would go to a show every now and then, esp if local. A few made the trek to champs at times too.

The corps I taught both attended the World Open prelims, Class 'B', not because it was a DCI show, but because it was the World Open.

There was no pressure on GSC corps to compete in DCI shows. We were pretty much irrelevant to them.

Love it...you continue to misconstrue what Fielder said and clarified.

how is it misconstrued Mike? Audiodb went and dug up the thread link last year, and it was spot on.

you can claim what you want, but the link he dug up supported exactly what I am saying, and others have too.

No, it didn't.