A taste of the future in 2010

I agree; the talent of corps continues to rise through out the ranks. And let's be honest: the have's will continue to get the top everything, while the have not's will continue to fight for scraps. That has not changed, and has been an "ugly" fact of drum corps for ages. The G7 proposal doesn't change that, though it does state it rather bluntly.

I suspect if this proposal passes it will be quite a revised version of what's out there now, and any talk of doom and gloom is just par for the course. :thumbup:

I expect a compromise, but I won't be surprised (but WILL be disappointed) if the G7 bolt.

But what forces a compromise and keeps the G7 in DCI is the conviction level of the non-G7 corps. Their confidence is boosted by contact from fans encouraging them to hang tough.

Which is why EVERYONE should write to the non-G7 directors and do just that:

Encourage them to hang tough and work towards a compromise without resorting to begging.

Tough to do. They could use our confidence.

Please, write an email of support. All addresses are on DCI.org.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well you did mention G7 in the thread. that may have confused someone

If I use the words "reading comprehension" do I owe Catherine a dollar? :thumbup: Should have seen what I typed before I gave up and just said "G7". Looked like the legal-ese in a contract.

Guess next time I'll split this SOB up into seperate threads. I'll put the potential members actions in the DCI Fourm and PART of some of the corps actions in the G7 Forum. Then no one will know what the #### I'm talking about.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

OK, anyone want to take a whack at the following:

How will potential members will handle any future changes? Will they continue to try out for only the top corps (no matter what group they are in) if dues/expenses remain close between the corps?

Will DCI start to get more inclusive of the non-top and/or OC corps ala DCA back in their lean years in the 90s.

So how did going to 150 members change anything as far as $$$$ and membership is concerned. The alledged calling up of more experienced marchers over on-site alternates makes me think about the 150 change.

I expect a compromise, but I won't be surprised (but WILL be disappointed) if the G7 bolt.

But what forces a compromise and keeps the G7 in DCI is the conviction level of the non-G7 corps. Their confidence is boosted by contact from fans encouraging them to hang tough.

Which is why EVERYONE should write to the non-G7 directors and do just that:

Encourage them to hang tough and work towards a compromise without resorting to begging.

Tough to do. They could use our confidence.

Please, write an email of support. All addresses are on DCI.org.

They cant and wont bolt,trust me. They are not all financially able to go without DCI and take on the extra financial responsibilities by themselves...its as simple as that.

G

How will potential members will handle any future changes? Will they continue to try out for only the top corps (no matter what group they are in) if dues/expenses remain close between the corps?

I think that if the future fortells of this new "Class of Champions", there will be a lot potential members wanting to flock to them. After all, it has its supposed "snob appeal" if your into that sort of thing...not that it is a bad thing. I also think it will create a greater rift then already currently occuring in the activity now as non "Class of Champions" groups will not be able to SELL/market to new members that we could pontentially have a break out year. I guess though that this premise is predicated upon WHAT are the reasons people march corps in the first place. I would think that the writing on the wall is that if you are out of the Class of Champions it could potentially take at least 3 years to get in if ever. Do you seriously think someone would want to spend 3 years with a group on a maybe in the first place?

I think that if the G7 leave DCI, they will lose some recruits that want to march in a DCI corps.

For the G7, the drop in audition numbers shouldn't prevent them from filling their ranks. For the remaining DCI corps, including a few world-class units that haven't been marching the full 150 as well as the entire open-class, an influx of additional auditionees would lead to larger corps on the field.

Will DCI start to get more inclusive of the non-top and/or OC corps ala DCA back in their lean years in the 90s.

So how did going to 150 members change anything as far as $$$$ and membership is concerned. The alledged calling up of more experienced marchers over on-site alternates makes me think about the 150 change.

On future changes...... like many have stated, it seems highly unlikely that the current G7 proposal (with its rigid class system) will pass vote. If a compromised system (where some corps get to do the special shows) is decided on, I don't think that will have too much of an impact on where future members audition. If the G7, or some of them bolt... who knows?

Here's one thing that I think no one has mentioned..... if certain G7 corps do split off from DCI and form their own activity, whose to say they would still want to keep the 21 age-limit? Wouldn't they want the best possible talent if they want to focus more on making a profit through performance? If they raised, or did away with the age limit, then they possibly would fill much of their ranks with DCI age-outs..... and the current 21 and under year-olds would be free to flee back to DCI...... just an idea.

About the 150 limit.... It was supposed to give the potential for any full sized corps to get more money through membership dues because they could fit more kids on the bus (without getting an extra bus). Obviously this helped the top groups more, or at least the ones who can get more than 150 qualified auditionees. But overall, it should have brought more money to drum corps as a whole...... After all, we all know that some of the extra kids who got in the top corps (because of 150) would not have marched anywhere else anyway. So all the corps should have more performers collectively.

I think that if the G7 leave DCI, they will lose some recruits that want to march in a DCI corps.

If the G7 leave, there is no telling what their "new" activity would even turn into. A group run by only a few people could make massive changes easily without having to get many "votes."

Things that may be in question:

21 year-old age limit???? (as I discussed in above post)

Woodwinds???? (seems likely)

Size limits????

Competition????? (maybe it will just be exhibition)

Use of football field for venue????

Traditional uniforms????

Traditional marching styles????

I don't think these are out of the realm of possibility. We have seen some of the radical changes proposed by certain G7 directors in the past, so whose to say what they would do without DCI and all of the other directors in their way? And if the activity does change drastically, we have no way of telling if current high school students would prefer the new, or what we have now.

I'm not sure, but I do know one thing..... people like what they know........ and if there are a number of high schoolers who fall in love with the activity watching tapes of Madison '95, Phantom '96, '08, Cadets 2000, Cavaliers '02, etc.... , which I know there are several, would they even want to participate in something that barely resembles what they "know?"

Edited by Tez

For the G7, the drop in audition numbers shouldn't prevent them from filling their ranks. For the remaining DCI corps, including a few world-class units that haven't been marching the full 150 as well as the entire open-class, an influx of additional auditionees would lead to larger corps on the field.

You could be right But I also can see it going the other direction. Im pressionable kids all want to be in one of those top 5. When did you ever hear a kid say WOW i want to be in that 19 place corps or even 12th place corps. ( No disrespect to anyone ) maybe some do and are loyal but hey thats another issue of today .

And NO im not saying those corps are less of anything. The only for sure thing is these G7 will only take so many ( Just like now ) and send off the rest.

I would think that the majority of corps members don't want to march in a DCI corps. They want to march in a particular corps, whether that corps is a member of DCI, the new G7 circuit, or something else completely.