More important, the Score or the Show

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not about the G7 but while reading something made me think of this.

Would you go to a show if they didn't give scores? Would the shows be less enjoyable to you or would oyu enjoy them the same if there wasn't a placement?

I wouldn't much care . . .I go for entertainment, and leave before scores are announced usually.

However, for every person like me, there's another person that loves to crunch numbers, figure out spreads and plot statistical analysis of each nights movement.

Would you go to a show if they didn't give scores? Would the shows be less enjoyable to you or would oyu enjoy them the same if there wasn't a placement?

I've wondered the same thing. Personally, I would still go if no scores were annouced, or even if there were no judges at all! (That would save the show sponsor some moeny. :thumbup:)

Well, I sometimes go to baseball, football exhibition games. They do give the scores. But an exhibition is.... well..... an exhibition.

Plus, what drives the Corps and marchers to do their best, is the competition. If you make it an exhibition, it quickly becomes like a MLB spring training baseball game in March. Something to go to in winter when the weather's nice and you can sit close by, and give a golf clap to players in a meaningless exhibition game where you still might catch a good play or two. But it's not the Real Deal. And the players and fans take it as such. And even the alternates play a lot.

This probably won't come as much of a surprise if you look at my signature and see where/when I marched, but THE SHOW.

For those of you who say that drum corps shows would resemble spring training baseball if there weren't scores, consider this. Scott Stewart was fond of pointing out that when Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski is asked in a post-game press conference whether he thought his team played well (after a victory) or poorly (after a defeat), he often answers with a variation of the following: "You really can't judge your performance level by the outcome of the game, because that outcome is based on so many things you can't control, like how well the other team plays. What's important is to judge your performance by looking inward...Did we (or did I) do the best that we (I) could do? If the answer is 'yes', we (I) played well. If the answer is 'no,' we (I) didn't."

So, for Coach K, even in basketball, a sport where winning and losing is pretty objective, the answer to the question "Did we play well?" doesn't necessarily correspond to the answer to the question "Did we win?"

Now, apply that to drum corps, where winning and losing is much more subjective. I know that I would not even be tempted if someone offered me a chance to trade the crowd reaction throughout our '95 show for a ring.

Just my $.02

I attend shows solely for the entertainment. Let the scores be for the competitors.

Easy, the show. I can honestly say after marching Cadets in 1992, I would rather go back and be in that show VS being in The Cavaliers in 1992. Nothing personal about that show, but to me, you watch the shows and remember them after a period of time, not so much what place they came in.

I would rather have marched BD 1988, SCV 1988, Garfield 1988 VS Madison. Again, those are shows that I enjoy more, and they all scored lower.

I was at the Vegas show last year where there were no scores, and honestly, I had just as much fun. I say the show.