BD Mediabox

What's we got, we got.

Well, I'd be glad to contribute my old Pavilion cassette tapes . . .if I could find any of them. That's why I was hoping you could help me out! :satisfied:

Oh, well. Perhaps someone out there has them and can do us all a favor. . .

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, there is no conflict of interest.

DCI puts up material they want to make available (Including BD shows, BTW) to DCI fans ... Blue Devils puts up the material that they want to make available to BD fans. There is no conflict, and very little overlap of materials.

Well...except for the fact the The Fan Network was/is sold as the channel through which *corps* would distribute this material, no, I guess there's no conflict :satisfied: The balkanization of online media services is certainly attractive to individual corps (they get all the revenue) but from a fan's perspective it just means that now instead of subscribing to one premium service you now need to subscribe to many. This will work when there's just a handful of channels but I suspect there will be a rapid decline in the willingness to subscribe when the number inevitably increases. Fans might subscribe to one or two in addition to the Fan Network but they won't subscribe to 4 or 5.

Edited by corpsband

Well, I'd be glad to contribute my old Pavilion cassette tapes . . .if I could find any of them. That's why I was hoping you could help me out! :satisfied:

Oh, well. Perhaps someone out there has them and can do us all a favor. . .

It has been my policy that if anyone donates video or audio to the BD archive I will digitize it and return them a cleaned up digital copy (CD or DVD, as appropriate) in return for no charge. SO, whoever out there has materials (such as old Pavillion tapes!), send me a private message and I'll make it happen.

Well...except for the fact the The Fan Network was/is sold as the channel through which *corps* would distribute this material, no, I guess there's no conflict :satisfied: The balkanization of online media services is certainly attractive to individual corps (they get all the revenue) but from a fan's perspective it just means that now instead of subscribing to one premium service you now need to subscribe to many. This will work when there's just a handful of channels but I suspect there will be a rapid decline in the willingness to subscribe when the number inevitably increases. Fans might subscribe to one or to addition to the Fan Network but they won't subscribe to 4 or 5.

I think if you replace "need" with "have the choice", it reads better. IMO, the Fan Network is for when we want to hear the "basic cable" version of DCI and our favorite show, basic other tidbits, etc. The "premium Channels" is like what BD is doing, and if you get HBO, SHO, etc, you have to pay for it extra as well. I am a huge BD fan and I already have most shows, so I want to pay for their channel to hear the Pavilion stuff,old tapes, member cams and any other geeked out extras that only they can provide through gracious Alumni like Jeff and others. I personally have Pavilion tapes from the 90's I am in the process of submitting, so its way cool, IMO.

Having choices are great and I like being able to get one or both of the options DCI and BD are no offering. I hope that all the corps put the time and effort that Devs did so we can go back father with all of them. I mean, who wouldn't like a Troopers channel or SCV channel?

Edited by trumpetcam

I think if you replace "need" with "have the choice", it reads better. IMO, the Fan Network is for when we want to hear the "basic cable" version of DCI and our favorite show, basic other tidbits, etc. The "premium Channels" is like what BD is doing, and if you get HBO, SHO, etc, you have to pay for it extra as well. I am a huge BD fan and I already have most shows, so I want to pay for their channel to hear the Pavilion stuff,old tapes, member cams and any other geeked out extras that only they can provide through gracious Alumni like Jeff and others. I personally have Pavilion tapes from the 90's I am in the process of submitting, so its way cool, IMO.

Having choices are great and I like being able to get one or both of the options DCI and BD are no offering. I hope that all the corps put the time and effort that Devs did so we can go back father with all of them. I mean, who wouldn't like a Troopers channel or SCV channel?

True enough. But instead of contributing content to the Fan Network, corps who roll their own will put their content on their own channel in effect de-valuing the DCI channel -- which is now seems destined to be the performances channel instead of the all the great *additional* content it had in the past. Just like the Cadets offerings, I suspect that the BD uploads to the Fan Network will be little more than teasers/commercials to encourage you to subscribe to their network as well.

These corps-run channels all seem perfectly reasonable until there are 20 corps all wanting $30 for their content.

Is it just me or is there a lot less content from all the corps on FN to this point this year? (and a lot of what is there seems to be free so far).

I'll subscribe for the webcasts, but it seems like the 'exclusive content' other than that has been diminishing.

When the FN first started, corps were only allowed to make 25% of their corps produced content available as free. Now, I believe, all corps content is free; the subscription package is just for live webcasts and/or VOD of performances.

Actually, there is no conflict of interest.

DCI puts up material they want to make available (Including BD shows, BTW) to DCI fans ... Blue Devils puts up the material that they want to make available to BD fans. There is no conflict, and very little overlap of materials.

There may be no "conflict of interest" and there is "no overlap" because you removed it from the FN. Now to access content that was once included with a FN subscription, fans have to pay an additional $30 simply because your corps doesn't play well with others. You can't deny that it is a competing service especially since you include BD's performances which are produced by DCI.

I do think that DCI has not realized the potential from the FN and doesn't seem to reward those corps which do upload content compared to the corps that don't. In that context, I can see why a corps wishes to develop their own media center but I think the activity would have been better served if they worked with DCI to improve the FN. However, in light of recent events, this move by your corps doesn't surprise me or probably anyone else.

True enough. But instead of contributing content to the Fan Network, corps who roll their own will put their content on their own channel in effect de-valuing the DCI channel -- which is now seems destined to be the performances channel instead of the all the great *additional* content it had in the past. Just like the Cadets offerings, I suspect that the BD uploads to the Fan Network will be little more than teasers/commercials to encourage you to subscribe to their network as well.

These corps-run channels all seem perfectly reasonable until there are 20 corps all wanting $30 for their content.

As I stated before, BD has removed all of their content and the last time Cadets submitted a video was a year ago, 6/17/2009. I think that it is clear that these two corps are doing their best to undermine anything that DCI does.

Love the Mediabox. Absolutely LOVE "Through A Glass, Darkly." I think it's going to be another great season! I'm excited!