Crossmen 2010

Not true at all.... Go ask each mega corps from the east to west coast how many Texas kids are in their corps and you'll be astounded!! It has nothing to do with the talent not being there in Texas but somethings being missed in their recruiting. I can tell you that they took a very firm stance on age when they first came to Texas and seem to turn some directos and students off. Since then they've improved that a bit, but the best talent is still leaving the state to go accross the country!!

Wes P

I meant not true about the talent being over estimated, you and I agree about the talent going elsewhere, but there's still a ton of untapped talent accross the state that they're not getting to for whatever reason.

Wes P

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is untapped [by DCI] talent everywhere.

INDEED!

Saw the Xmen at Broke Arrow Memorial Stadium tonight. Yes, there are several holes in the brassline[contra, mello], and I saw two tenors and three plates, I've been told that the percussion holes and a mello hole are due to injuries.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Drill give the new members time to recover, what the term, smart design - no need to make the kids do 200bpm for 3 minutes and die, when they can do it for 40 second burst and sound good. Lots of potential for bodywork and layers. Theres a 27count hold with the brass in pairs, partner dance work? This show looks skeletal at the moment, and musically is pleasing. There are issues with timing, and some very obvious techning that needs to be done on the feet. They got tired coming into the closer! My understanding is a young corps with very passionate and talented staff. Company Front in yuour face to end thing. Nice. I'm not certain if its top 12 material, having not seen any other 'Sweet 16 Corps', but definitely a thorn in someone side an a corps to be watched.

Not true at all.... Go ask each mega corps from the east to west coast how many Texas kids are in their corps and you'll be astounded!! It has nothing to do with the talent not being there in Texas but somethings being missed in their recruiting. I can tell you that they took a very firm stance on age when they first came to Texas and seem to turn some directos and students off. Since then they've improved that a bit, but the best talent is still leaving the state to go accross the country!!

Wes P

Or, you know, the top-notch talent from Texas wants to march in the top six corps, the "G7." If Crossmen start to move up the ranks, I have no doubt they'll start to get a ton of talent from that Texas pool. Right now it's a matter of building a consistent program and slowly moving their way up. It'll take years before they stop the flow of talented Texas kids heading to Concord, Rosemont, Rockford, Ft. Mill, and elsewhere.

Or, you know, the top-notch talent from Texas wants to march in the top six corps, the "G7." If Crossmen start to move up the ranks, I have no doubt they'll start to get a ton of talent from that Texas pool. Right now it's a matter of building a consistent program and slowly moving their way up. It'll take years before they stop the flow of talented Texas kids heading to Concord, Rosemont, Rockford, Ft. Mill, and elsewhere.

Doesnt Bluecoats have camps in TX? and maybe 1 or 2 other corps?

tuba hole...

.....another puppy died

Doesnt Bluecoats have camps in TX? and maybe 1 or 2 other corps?

Several corps have Texas satellite camps. Some, like Phantom, have Percussionists start everydays in Texas then travel up to join the brass and guard.

Texas's two biggest exports, Talent and Ego. Or is it Ego and Talent...

*This comment is that of an Oklahoman and should be taken into consideration as such.

Several corps have Texas satellite camps. Some, like Phantom, have Percussionists start everydays in Texas then travel up to join the brass and guard.

Texas's two biggest exports, Talent and Ego. Or is it Ego and Talent...

*This comment is that of an Oklahoman and should be taken into consideration as such.

Some of us Texans are at least aware of this and take it all in stride with our giant grains of salt, and sometimes a nice dose of come-uppance along the way. :thumbup:

As for Texas students going to corps far afield: Everyone's competing for that talent pool - Cavies, Bluecoats, Phantom, Troopers are the corps that I know of off the top of my head that have satellite audition camps here. We also now have Forte near Dallas, Genesis out of the Rio Grande Valley (which is a great thing!), and of course Revolution in San Antonio. We need band directors to help fill the ranks of these local corps, and it will take some years to make that happen.

As for Crossmen's show: I got to hear it at the Texas Drum Corps Preview on 6/19. Good stuff!

Some of us Texans are at least aware of this and take it all in stride with our giant grains of salt, and sometimes a nice dose of come-uppance along the way. :thumbup:

As for Texas students going to corps far afield: Everyone's competing for that talent pool - Cavies, Bluecoats, Phantom, Troopers are the corps that I know of off the top of my head that have satellite audition camps here. We also now have Forte near Dallas, Genesis out of the Rio Grande Valley (which is a great thing!), and of course Revolution in San Antonio. We need band directors to help fill the ranks of these local corps, and it will take some years to make that happen.

As for Crossmen's show: I got to hear it at the Texas Drum Corps Preview on 6/19. Good stuff!

I am a Texas band director and I can tell you that when the X-men first started auditioning young people, they cut quite a few of their promising young recruits that were right around 17 years of age. Perhaps it's because they thought they'd always have a steady flow of kinsmen from the Northeast as well as Texas, I don't know, but by doing that it turned students off to how they began to feel feel that people were being treated poorly in the audition camps. Now, I know that has gotten better and I've got some students marching there that tell me so, but, there is still a hesitance for the Texas folks to get gung ho over going there. Right or wrong first impressions mean a lot to parents and kids! As far as corps recruitment--- Fill in the blank here...... I know Phantom, Bluecoats, BD, SCV, Cavies, Madison, Blue Knights, Glassmen etc.... all get numerous kids from here and most of those corps have at least one Texas audition camp. I don't think it's a stretch to say when the X-men get really good the recruitment will improve, but I also thnk they've got to find a way to reach out to the students in the various Texas communities as well and recruit even harder imho. But anyway, I wish the X-men the best of luck and hope they get their holes plugged and also have a very, very successful 2010 season!!

Wes P

???

I know plenty of 15, 16, and 17 year olds from Texas that were in the corps during their first year down there. Not quite sure what you mean from your comment. If you mean that they couldn't take absolutely everyone that auditioned, then of course you're right. People get cut. That's what happens. But to say that they gave short shrift to some young Texas talent is just flat out not true.