Long Distance Travel to Shows

I live in Fort Mill, South Carolina, so get to go to Crown's first show tomorrow night. Then, gosh darn it, my business trip to San Francisco got extended past next weekend, and I am forced to go to DCI West at Stanford on Saturday night.

Sometimes, life just aint fair !!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking about going to Atlanta. That would be a 12 hour roadtrip for me....

Anything longer than 6 hours I consider a roadtrip.

I live in Fort Mill, South Carolina, so get to go to Crown's first show tomorrow night. Then, gosh darn it, my business trip to San Francisco got extended past next weekend, and I am forced to go to DCI West at Stanford on Saturday night.

Sometimes, life just aint fair !!!!

Dude, road trip. It's a lot cheaper, and there's something about the open road that still reminds me about drum corps. I drove from Las Vegas to Indy last year and it was epic, and I'm planning on doing it again!

I'm road-trippin' from Harrisburg, PA to Indy and meeting a friend out there. This way we don't have to rent a car for the week. :)

I'm thinking about taking a trip down to San Antonio for both days of the competition, but I'm still on the fence about whether $750 (about how much it would cost for air/hotel/tickets) for one person is worth it.

Anybody else in a similar dilemma?

Well, as much as I am a typical Texan (yeeehaw) and love being here, it's pretty miserable for drum corps season. The venue itself is not near the Riverwalk this time. I second the suggestion of making Minneapolis your destination for the season. It looks AWESOME.

But if you do decide to come down to Texas, great! Go to SeaWorld, take a stroll on the Riverwalk, and make sure to take a day to road trip to some AMAZING barbeque in about 40 small cities nearby. :devil:

i've driven from tucson to phoenix, tucson to san antonio, tucson to denver, phoenix to denver, and inadvertently, israel to san diego - i was abroad for 4 weeks, landed in los angeles, and timed it right to stop in san diego on my way home for a show :tongue:

this year i'm staying local, driving maybe 10 miles. we just bought a house, so spending money is a bit reduced. it means i'll miss bigger corps, but i'll get to see my alma mater so that's enough in my book. plus, i like supporting the div 2/3 (or whatever the heck they are called) corps, having marched in one

i'm traveling about 3,750 miles this season to go to shows (8 states/12 days). for airfare, fuel, tickets, and hotel it's going to cost around $750.

I'd love to know how you're doing that for just $750 . . .

- what kind of hotels do you stay at? Even for just $50 a night, hotels for 12 nights would be $600 . . .

- don't you eat?

I ask because a friend and I will begin our third annual drum corps groupie trek July 11. Between us we have kids in 3 corps. We will travel from Virginia to Ohio to start out and then follow the corps for two weeks, going to shows in Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas, maybe Oklahoma, and Texas. We sleep in a 2-person tent to avoid paying for hotels since it's more important to pay for show tickets - and neither one of us had ever camped until our first summer doing this. No airfare, but with fuel, tickets, food, campground fees, etc., it will easily cost us more than $750!!!

Earlier today I purchased a Greyhound Discovery Pass for $539.00. The Pass entitles me to unlimited travel on Greyhound for 60 days! I plan to leave Syracuse, NY at 6:20 am on Saturday morning headed for Fort Mill, SC for my first show of the 2010 season. I do 3 shows in 3 days then I head for California to see the West! For more info on my travels, see my Summer Season post.

Does anyone want to join me? It's gonna be a blast!

Ron Gunn

That sounds like an awesome trip, Ron! By the way, I grew up in Utica.