Carolina Crown MMX

I'm new to DCP but I wanted to throw in some thoughts about Crown's show this year. I loved last year's show, and when I saw Crown at Normal this year, although the horn line is as ever incomparable, I was disappointed overall with the new show for a few days until I realized that I felt the same way after seeing last year's show at FirstBEAT. They just kept tweaking and tweaking until it was absolutely incredible, and I think they're on the same path this year.

I went to the Kalamazoo show, and the (then-)new moves that the non-playing horns do during Danzon (after they run to line up on the 50) are just a fantastic visual. The crowd loved it, too (you can hear a little of the reaction on the fan network recording, but in person it was very noticeable--there was a gasp when they first laid down in a ripple, and then once they got back up everyone cheers). They've thrown in a lot of other visual tweaks, along with a couple of big chords, since the Normal show. I'm thrilled with the descriptions of the new ending (haven't seen any video, don't know where to look).

I don't think I'm going to get to see them live again this summer :laughing: but I'm confident they're on track for another amazing show come finals week. I'm looking forward to seeing it on the movie screen at least.

I've noticed more and more stuff with the whole "2nd Chance" thing the more I see the show, especially in the visual department. The crazy follow the leader that ends up back where it started is the most obvious. There are several other forms that morph and come back with the form the same but members in different spots. This is probably the most prevalent in the X formations that keep coming back throughout the show. I dig it. :laughing:

I'm new to DCP but I wanted to throw in some thoughts about Crown's show this year. I loved last year's show, and when I saw Crown at Normal this year, although the horn line is as ever incomparable, I was disappointed overall with the new show for a few days until I realized that I felt the same way after seeing last year's show at FirstBEAT. They just kept tweaking and tweaking until it was absolutely incredible, and I think they're on the same path this year.

I think you're on the right track! To me the storyline of "The Grass Is Always Greener" wasn't completely apparent until Allentown. Crown's strategy this year seem very similar to last year (without all the time lost to ick). The gigantic difference IMO is that they came out of the gate so much cleaner this season. That's going to payoff big time at the end. In addition many of the planned changes are already taught and being cleaned. So when they go in they will sparkle!

There's a plan and I think the staff and performers are right where they need to be!

Everyone for the most part has got the homage to the past Crown version of Nimrod, but has anybody recognized the drum solo out of it and back into the Mahler? And the drill? And how that fits with the theme and what they do at the start of the show also? A little more recent "look back."

I'm just saying.... lol :laughing:

Edited by njthundrrd

Wow. Crownies have nothing to discuss?

I had a *great* phone call last night. Arkansas apparently went pretty darn well. Excited to see the corps on the field again.

Here's a nice logo for FMM :)

image2485.jpg

Seems to be less honking this year from the Crown camp for some reason.

The official Cadets thread ended up buried too.

Guess we're all too busy "hating" the Blue Devils.

:laughing:

:laughing:

I don't want the world to come to an end... but rumor has it that Adam actually applauded the guard during a rehearsal :) They must be doing something right.

On the debbie downer side, I also heard a tenor has gone down :( The battery is *not* having good luck this season.

:unsure:

I think there is less antagonizing from other fans. Crown for the first time is getting the benefit of the doubt. I guess 08 and 09 have really helped Crown's "competitive reputation". It used to be "NO THEY CAN'T! NO WAY" Now it's, "Well, they might!" Hopefully very soon in the future we'll all be able to say..."They will guaranteed!"

I think the "Honking" from the past was more defending against the naysayers than anything. Crown did all their talking on the field last year. I love this years show, but what's going to happen is going to happen regardless of what we say on DCP. I think its an awesome time to be an alum of this corps.