Cadets (Bluefield, WV)

Good morning from Bluefield, WV. It was only a 190 mile drive to our next housing site but we are 100 miles from the show site in Charlestown, WV. In order to have a good housing site with excellent practice space those are the things a drum corps will sacrifice instead of being closer to the show site. I personally like being housed at the actual show site. The news for the drivers is we are gearing up for another long ride after tonight’s show heading to Martin, Tennessee. The good news is we’ll be there for three days. That means the drivers will get as much sleep as possible today. We are in West Virginia nestled up in the mountains at Bluefield Middle School. The kids have to walk five minutes to the practice field.

We haven’t been on the road for a week yet and already we are feeling the pains of vehicle problems. Some of them are very minor and then others need immediate attention like the food truck. I walked up on what look like a lecture but everyone standing around was listening very attentively to what the mechanic was telling them about what the problem was and what they have to do to repair it. The other vehicles are experiencing simple issues such as replacing fuses. We’ve had one serious vehicle issue where we had to leave it behind in Spartanburg so that it could be taken in for repair this morning and hopefully the admin staff person who was left behind with the vehicle will be able to catch up to us while we’re in Tennessee for three days.

OK about last night’s show; the Cadets were much better but still lots of work to do. I believe they have a product on the field with tons of potential. Fort Mill obviously was the home show for Carolina Crown and the audience was very supportive. As a matter of fact I thought the audience was a good drum corps crowd. They really enjoyed all the corps who performed and showed their appreciation through their applause. We now have a few more corps on tour competing. Joining us was Teal Sound and Spirit both performed well. There is still much talk about the Cavaliers and I’ve seen them perform now five times in the last three days (or is that four?) and they are not in as much trouble as what I’ve seen written on DCP.

It doesn’t take the volunteers long to bond with one another. When someone has come to the end of their volunteer stay with the corps it really is sad to see them go. Some will return and others we will see in Indianapolis. For now its back to work for the Cadets; there are some changes planned but I’m sure the corps or George will introduce those two you. For me that’s the fun part about being on tour I get to see the changes first hand, hang around great people, and simply have a great time. I wish I could do this all summer.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Good morning from Bluefield, WV. It was only a 190 mile drive to our next housing site but we are 100 miles from the show site in Charlestown, WV. In order to have a good housing site with excellent practice space those are the things a drum corps will sacrifice instead of being closer to the show site. I personally like being housed at the actual show site. The news for the drivers is we are gearing up for another long ride after tonight’s show heading to Martin, Tennessee. The good news is we’ll be there for three days. That means the drivers will get as much sleep as possible today. We are in West Virginia nestled up in the mountains at Bluefield Middle School. The kids have to walk five minutes to the practice field.

We haven’t been on the road for a week yet and already we are feeling the pains of vehicle problems. Some of them are very minor and then others need immediate attention like the food truck. I walked up on what look like a lecture but everyone standing around was listening very attentively to what the mechanic was telling them about what the problem was and what they have to do to repair it. The other vehicles are experiencing simple issues such as replacing fuses. We’ve had one serious vehicle issue where we had to leave it behind in Spartanburg so that it could be taken in for repair this morning and hopefully the admin staff person who was left behind with the vehicle will be able to catch up to us while we’re in Tennessee for three days.

OK about last night’s show; the Cadets were much better but still lots of work to do. I believe they have a product on the field with tons of potential. Fort Mill obviously was the home show for Carolina Crown and the audience was very supportive. As a matter of fact I thought the audience was a good drum corps crowd. They really enjoyed all the corps who performed and showed their appreciation through their applause. We now have a few more corps on tour competing. Joining us was Teal Sound and Spirit both performed well. There is still much talk about the Cavaliers and I’ve seen them perform now five times in the last three days (or is that four?) and they are not in as much trouble as what I’ve seen written on DCP.

It doesn’t take the volunteers long to bond with one another. When someone has come to the end of their volunteer stay with the corps it really is sad to see them go. Some will return and others we will see in Indianapolis. For now its back to work for the Cadets; there are some changes planned but I’m sure the corps or George will introduce those two you. For me that’s the fun part about being on tour I get to see the changes first hand, hang around great people, and simply have a great time. I wish I could do this all summer.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I wish you could do this all summer too. Love the updates.

Keep 'em comin!!

There is still much talk about the Cavaliers and I’ve seen them perform now five times in the last three days (or is that four?) and they are not in as much trouble as what I’ve seen written on DCP.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Don't forget that MOST of that talk here on DCP was by folks that have NOT seen their show.

Is Bluefield Middle School the site where you have to walk down a gigantic hill for a while to get to an awesome turf field? If so, then I rehearsed there last year and it was awesome. There were fences along the ridge line next to the stadium, so we called those the "raptor fences" and we hoped they they weren't out. Great place to practice, hope Cadets enjoy it.

I wish I could do this all summer.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

You aren't doing this all summer??? Boooo!! :smile:

I've really enjoyed your updates...keep 'em coming while you are part of their tour!!

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Your reports from the road last year were one of the best things on DCP. Keep it going Irving. :smile: