Cadets 2010

"Cheesy" is a good adjective for the previews we've been allowed to see.

Just wondering what high school that one of the staff members used this with last year to

bring to the "next level"..... because the preview screamed high school-ish... IMHO....

just wish this corps would go out and play some good, old drum corps with a modern flare...

by that I mean.. 80's 90's and 2000's........ there was ALOT of good music and ideas from that

time period I would PAY to see in THIS DECADE we now live in...

Why is it that those that lead dont listen to those that pay/watch/keep this activity going?

Right now, I really miss the word that I used to know as Garfield ????

(and no.... not a cat......_)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering what high school that one of the staff members used this with last year to

bring to the "next level"..... because the preview screamed high school-ish... IMHO....

just wish this corps would go out and play some good, old drum corps with a modern flare...

by that I mean.. 80's 90's and 2000's........ there was ALOT of good music and ideas from that

Why is it that those that lead dont listen to those that pay/watch/keep this activity going?

1. You cant please everyone. Some people would argue that this show is something fans want/ would enjoy.

2. you really can't judge the show until you've seen it in person. those bids don't give it any justice.

Out of curiosity, have you ever felt this way about a Cavaliers program? I've always thought that their presentations "ooze" whatever concept they are conveying. It's just opinion, but I liken the Cadets program (thus far) to the same endeavors as a Cavalier program. . .coordinated conceptual communication.

I agree, the design is as you say "coordinated conceptual communication" and as I've said is done very well and will be even better later in the season, my personal preference just usually doesn't go in this particular direction. I'm not trying to communicate anything negative about the show itself, just that this style/mood is not really my thing. Yes, it's true that I come from a corps that arguably did similar things mood wise in both 2007 and 2009, and they weren't my favorite Crown shows either, but they were still great shows.

Yes, I agree... Saw this show in Fort Mill....Everyone knows that a show that is actually played well, marched well AND is entertaining can't win in this day in age...How dare they !! :thumbup: .....Hopefully corps staffs will stop reading this CRAP on DCP and continue to try to entertain the audience again....

Edited by moBetter

They did that, and they get exactly what you posted. So what's the point? Some people will never be pleased with anything they do.

. . .that's what they're doing, and doing pretty #### well.

Perhaps you'd like a return to the days of the White Rabbit? :thumbup:

. . .that's what they're doing, and doing pretty #### well.

Perhaps you'd like a return to the days of the White Rabbit? :thumbup:

I agree with the good music and good playing. I can't judge this show yet, as I haven't seen it, but the thing that has gotten to me about the shows from The Zone forward (aside from last year) is that when I just listen to the show, I love it, but when I watch it, I feel like the the idea is forced onto the music. That has always been my complaint about narration and overly involved themes/stories. The best thematic shows can ride on the visual and audio and still convey the theme, hopefully without too many "gimmicks." With many of the Cadets' recent shows, I've felt that the wonderful execution gets covered and overshadowed by the thematic/"fan friendly" element.

That being said, Cadets are always one of my favorites when watching foot technique or listening to mellophone lines!!!

I'm still waiting for this show to grow on me. From what I've seen on TSTSNBN, I'm missing the speed and edginess I'm accustomed to in the majority of their shows. I get the theme is inherently "cutesy", it's just overtly so for me at this point. Hop had hinted at a "dark" ending, so we'll see how that plays out over the season. (Is little Jeffrey gonna bite it ala Spartacus' gal?? That would scar younger drum corps fans for life...)

I'm glad to see them holding their own at this point of the season, but I just hope the changes that I'm sure are coming make the show more even.

I actually like this show, just watched it on FN...and it is hard to tell on a 15 in. screen how "clean" it is or isn't, but I DO like it. For the record, I am NOT generally a big fan of Cadets-nothing personal, just find that I don't care for more years than I care for. I also watched Crown-FWIW, they sounded great-but I found their show boring-sounded great, though. As far as the scores we've seen, again, on a 15 in. screen from a high cam, it's pretty hard to pick out what's clean and what's not. I would like to see the Cadets work on making what they have now super clean rather than making a lot of changes. Especially during championships, they make a lot of changes and IMO it seems to help very little, if at all and I think in some cases has actually done more harm than good.

I'm still waiting for this show to grow on me. From what I've seen on TSTSNBN, I'm missing the speed and edginess I'm accustomed to in the majority of their shows. I get the theme is inherently "cutesy", it's just overtly so for me at this point. Hop had hinted at a "dark" ending, so we'll see how that plays out over the season. (Is little Jeffrey gonna bite it ala Spartacus' gal?? That would scar younger drum corps fans for life...)

I'm glad to see them holding their own at this point of the season, but I just hope the changes that I'm sure are coming make the show more even.

:thumbup: Sabre to the throat, the soldiers get tired of him running around and getting in their way and finally do him in. EPIC! That would change everything. In all seriousness, if they handled that the right way, it could be a serious drum corps moment. Wow, I'm thinking of this show totally differently now.