Madison Scouts 2010 Cymbal Discussion

guess the cymbal line is walking alone... left at the side of the road while the corps soldiers on.

bummer.

This isn't the first time the Scouts havn't fielded a cymbal line. Ya'll do realize that, right?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats not the problem.

When they told us they would not be fielding cymbals they should have stuck with what they said instead of disrespecting us.

there are quite a few men in the corps that we marched with that are very angry that they even did this.

there are alumni that are dissapointed in the corps for what they have done.

This isnt me ###### off because i got cut. this is entirely a issue with disrespect to brothers and a community of people.

maybe you just dont understand the pride it takes to play cymbals and i dont expect you to.

I defended you in your cymbal thread, but now you are sounding a little whiny. Sucking the love right out of the room.

The corps and the design team are well within their rights to do whatever they want. And they actually DID stick with what they said...the Madison Scouts do not have a cymbal line this year. So some guard guys grab some cymbals...does that make them a cymbal line? I find it just as disrespectful to get on here to detract from your "brothers" in the 2010 corps by making this about you rather than the 2010 Madison Scouts.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, I really am. But this won't help you feel any better.

May You Never Walk Alone...

... unless corps management calls you up and tells you to take a walk, of course. Sounds like Never Alone In Life is just a nail, after all. :tongue:

Wow. Can't believe the absolute inaccuracies being implied and translated here about this whole cymbal line issue by people who have no clue what they are talking about or saying. Very irresponsible to say "off the cuff" things about ANY corps - not just the Madison Scouts - even though everyone who has a dislike for the Scouts passionate alumni loves to jump all over anything that is said and blow it way out of proportion.

ANYWAY - I, from the very first word that came across saying the plate line would be out for 2010, was a very vocal critic of that decision. It is a shame to cut ANY of the instruments that make up the sound on the field at all, and is just another departure from what corps used to be to what it is becoming. But corps changed from the 60's into the 70's; from the 70's into the '80's, the 80's into the 90's... etc etc. Some great changes, some not so great.

The corps never called the plate line up and told them to "take a walk" ... and certainly didn't turn their backs on them. Get real in your implications of this accusation, and do some research... you can find some of the true story right here on DCP. The fact that they have a few guard members pick up some cymbals for part of one piece of music does not in any way indicate that they did indeed march a cymbal line and conspired against the members who were in that line last year.

By the way, the song is and has always been titled: "You'll Never Walk Alone" ... not "MAY you never walk alone." I sang it as a member of the corps in question here. Pretty irresponsible AGAIN of those who have no details or clue about what ACTUALLY happened to imply that the corps didn't make every attempt to stay true to that motto when this whole decision was made last fall.

And I will ALWAYS be in favor of a cymbal line marching ON the field, not as a sidelined instrument.

May You Never Walk Alone...

... unless corps management calls you up and tells you to take a walk, of course. Sounds like Never Alone In Life is just a nail, after all. :tongue:

Seriously? So if the corps decides to axe two trumpet spots next year to add those to the drumline, they can't do that? No different than having to re-audition for a spot each season...something that is common practice in drum corps today.

By the way, the song is and has always been titled: "You'll Never Walk Alone" ... not "MAY you never walk alone." I sang it as a member of the corps in question here. Pretty irresponsible AGAIN of those who have no details or clue about what ACTUALLY happened to imply that the corps didn't make every attempt to stay true to that motto when this whole decision was made last fall.

There's a handy little feature that will let you jump to any post quoted. Click on the little read arrow in the quote caption, and it'll take you there. I suggest you do that for the post I quoted, and you'll find that the author has "MYNWA" in his signature.

Wow. Can't believe the absolute inaccuracies being implied and translated here about this whole cymbal line issue by people who have no clue what they are talking about or saying. Very irresponsible to say "off the cuff" things about ANY corps - not just the Madison Scouts - even though everyone who has a dislike for the Scouts passionate alumni loves to jump all over anything that is said and blow it way out of proportion.

ANYWAY - I, from the very first word that came across saying the plate line would be out for 2010, was a very vocal critic of that decision. It is a shame to cut ANY of the instruments that make up the sound on the field at all, and is just another departure from what corps used to be to what it is becoming. But corps changed from the 60's into the 70's; from the 70's into the '80's, the 80's into the 90's... etc etc. Some great changes, some not so great.

The corps never called the plate line up and told them to "take a walk" ... and certainly didn't turn their backs on them. Get real in your implications of this accusation, and do some research... you can find some of the true story right here on DCP. The fact that they have a few guard members pick up some cymbals for part of one piece of music does not in any way indicate that they did indeed march a cymbal line and conspired against the members who were in that line last year.

And I will ALWAYS be in favor of a cymbal line marching ON the field, not as a sidelined instrument.

+1 and end of discussion.

A couple months after the 2009 season ended i recieved a call that the scouts would not be fielding cymbals for the 2009 season. Now to see them having them on the field i feel lied to by the corps i call my home. and it is the ultimate middle finger to me and my three other brothers.

Wow that really does suck. Hope the extra 4 tubas was worth getting rid of one of Madison's most noticed and storied sections. And no, having some guard run around with plates does not = having a cymbal line.

Seriously? So if the corps decides to axe two trumpet spots next year to add those to the drumline, they can't do that? No different than having to re-audition for a spot each season...something that is common practice in drum corps today.

Having to re-audition every year is fair. Your analogy doesn't work, because any trumpet player would still have an opportunity to keep his spot. A better analogy would be if the entire trumpet section were axed, and then a guy from the pit had a featured trumpet solo. Had I marched trumpet the year prior, then was not even given the chance to march the following year, #### right I'd be ######. If this had happened with any other corps, you would be too.

That's a terrible analogy and you know it. Two trumpet spots are not gonna make it impossible for vets to march. I think the best analogy would be if they just decided to cut the entire color guard and say "Well, you guys can march with us if you want to learn to play an instrument, but we've decided to go a different direction this year. Sorry." Are you telling me those guard guys would be happy, especially if they found out later that the trumpet section put down their horns and spun flag for one song in the show? I don't think so.

Edited by liebot