Carolina Crown-most disappointing Friday

Maybe they were putting in changes and wanted it to be a surprise.

Disappointment is warranted, indignation is not.

I completely agree with this. I once went to see Pearl Jam in high school in the early 90's, and had the pleasure of meeting a lot of the band after the show went they came out to jump on the bus. They hung out, signed autographs, etc. LOTS of fun. I saw them again a year or two later, and they were completely unavailable after the show: there was no WAY I (or anyone else) was going to get anywhere close enough to interact with them after the show. They put on a(nother) incredible performance, and I totally got my money's worth, but I didn't get the extra thrill of hanging with them after the show. Was I disappointed? Of course: I had an expectation, no matter how inappropriate, and it wasn't quite meant. But, I got exactly what I paid for and there was zero room to complain.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting you should mention the new ending. During the open part of the rehearsal, the new ending was being worked on. So seeing it during the full run through wouldn 't have been a surprise to anyone that had already been watching rehearsals for the past couple of hours.

More towards my point then... I seriously doubt it was the staff that decided to make you move. My money is on the show sponsor.

I'm sure they'll get some, but honestly, a lot of those others have had some pretty legitimate complaints over the years, and they have mainly related to design issues.

Cadets- have gone overboard on electronics\narration in controversial ways that the fans just have not liked. Lower corps that did similar things also got criticism.

BD- is great at executing their shows, but their design team has a formula that maxes out the 'metric', which unfortunately doesnt mean it actually maxes out fan enjoyment.

Cavies- had a lot of criticism for a couple things. 1. the focus on visual before music. Its undeniable that a lot of their shows have been visual driven the last decade, especially early on. 2. volume. Their brass philosophy has valued cleanness in the sound first before volume, so thats their goal, but to some it isnt as enjoyable as a corps that isnt afraid to let loose a bit more.

As long as crown keeps designing shows like they have the last 5 years, they'll continue getting the love.

I think if we're being honest, though, there has been plenty of criticism lobbed at corps you mention above for a lot more than just show design.

Everyone loves the underdog: until they start beating the personal favorite 'alpha dog' and then the bitterness begins

I honestly think this was unfortunate timing and it appeared that Crown was being secretive. Crown did not close off rehearsal at FirstBEAT, why would they start two days later? The only way I can believe this was Crown is if they started doing this more often, but until then I am going to assume it was the show hosts decision... and unfortunate timing for everyone in the stands.

"appeared Crown was being secretive?" I get what you're saying (as well as the stuff I cut from your OP), but I don't expect Crown to discuss administrative and/or venue policy in detail to the fans gawking at rehearsals. As long as they're polite and requesting the people to leave, they don't really need to do anything else: they don't need to justify, apologize, etc.

I'm in the camp that would bet on event staff requesting the venue clearance, and not Crown, but either way it's not cause for people to get all touchy and upset with Crown for not providing a service that's in no way implied or guaranteed to customers.

I think Crown's attitude has changed, especially after last year's 2nd place finish. They feel entitled to win DCI, and they feel that their corps and their show is so special that they need to keep people away from it as much as possible, like it's some diamond.

Thank you!

I think Crown's attitude has changed, especially after last year's 2nd place finish. They feel entitled to win DCI, and they feel that their corps and their show is so special that they need to keep people away from it as much as possible, like it's some diamond.

You're absolutely right, and that is the most logical reason: clearly an organization that is a performing group would logically want to keep as many people AWAY from seeing their performances. Brilliant use of logic on that one :blink:

Crown came into Dublin last night to do a clinic today. Was a complete success. The fan/kids brought instruments and the corps' instructors had a totally interactive 3 hours with them. At the end everyone gathered in the stadium and Crown did some standstill. Then they did the last 1 1/2 minutes of the show standstill, yes the "new" ending.

Then Jim Coates took the mic and invited everyone in attendance to come back later tonight for a full run-through.

Last year Cadets were practicing in the same stadium and we (event staff) cleared the stands one hour before the show started. Cadets had nothing to do with it.

It's hard for me to believe that Crown would keep fans out of Normal's run-through for secrecy reasons then invite fans to the run-through less than 48 hours later.

To the OP (and those bashing Crown's assent to the top and the "ego" assumed to come with it), I'd lay odds that the show staff cleared the stadium, not Crown. Before you accuse Crown of the act you should check with the show staff and get the facts.

The "secrecy" argument sounds like pure conspiracy theory.

I'm about certain the reason people were asked to leave the stands is the fact there were SO MANY people there that WILL BE attending the show that night, and it just so happened to be the show they were unveiling a new ending. They wanted it to be a surprise, and with that many people at the show already EXPECTING it, would kill the element of surprise. Even if they were working on it during rehearsal, you wouldn't know it would be IN the show that night. The full run through at the end of the day is like a dress rehearsal run through of the exact performance that night, if something is being worked on, it might not be in the run-through and also not in the show.

From what I remember, crown has never had any issues with people watching rehearsals, not even during finals week. They also don't openly discourage people recording things, just discourage putting it online, especially if it hasn't been officially revealed yet.

Sorry the OP and his new friend picked a bad day to come watch a rehearsal.

I'm about certain the reason people were asked to leave the stands is the fact there were SO MANY people there that WILL BE attending the show that night, and it just so happened to be the show they were unveiling a new ending. They wanted it to be a surprise, and with that many people at the show already EXPECTING it, would kill the element of surprise.

If thats the case corps should bar all public viewing of any runthrough. For most people, barring those of us on dcp\fan network, the entire show is a surprise to them, not just the ending.

Actually....I will speak for the corps....

We just don't like you stinking band kids! Or you old dinosaurs that think you can get in free and watch an unclothed performance! :-P

haha

Seriously, they've been working on the new ending all day, and they are rehearsing at the show site..... LOGIC points to the probability that the event organizers needed the stadium cleared so they could close the gates prior to "opening" the gates. I mean nothing else makes sense.

Sounds like much ado about nothing to me.