Carolina Crown-most disappointing Friday

From another post: "Could you tell me a corps that has a policy that no one can watch them rehearse?"

True. INT. rehearsals are closed at all times. Interestingly enough, when they perform, it seems a lot of fans leave the stands for refreshments and a smoke! Maybe we just don't know enough about them. :blink:

Or maybe they're such a tired old annoying cliche' that everyone else is looking to get the heck away from it/them... :blink:

:blink:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty, I think we need to stop speculating why that run through was closed. Slinging mud is not getting us closer to the truth, and Crown does have a right to run a closed rehearsal. As spectators we PAY to attend the show (which did happen).

Corps are more careful today because of social media sharing and the types of amazing electronic recorders that can capture content that is copyrighted and very costly.

Also, if Crown was rehearsing at the show site, and their run through was about 1 hour or so prior to the start of the show, then I bet it was the stadium people that asked the crowd to leave. They need time to setup their personnel, concessions, be sure no one is in the stadium without a ticket to the show, and they need to double check all areas for security reasons.

Drum corps is having a hard time selling its product because, to some degree, we have a lot of folks that wish to watch rehearsals, watch warm-ups in the lot, and not always buy a ticket and just attend the show. Many of these folks will then by a cheap General Admission seat and come in for their one, maybe two corps (sometimes even standing with staff or finding open seats in the reserved areas).

I'm not saying that I am against this, but clearly the corps receive no money for these services, and often they find their product on video sites, being passed around for others to check out. This is no different than what was going on years ago with Napster. It might be fun, but it doesn't help the corps, and it is illegal. People can say that they would never do this (and I am sure most would not), but the protections that all the corps must put into place today are necessary.

If I were the OP, certainly I would have been upset to some extent, more of a "darn, I really wanted to watch that." But in the long run, they did get what they paid for, and they took a gamble on that rehearsal and were allowed to watch for some time. Bonus! But when the free candy stops being thrown, it's time to go back to the world of supporting drum corps and not expecting a handout!

Edited by jwillis35

In the information age, with youtube, and the legit Fan Network at a very reasonable price (you can buy the archive-only VOD option for less than two tickets to most shows), if anyone is really yearning for more shows to see the options are available.

First off I would like to say we have the Finals package Fan Network, with DVD coming in the fall. But I am sorry, no matter how nice your computer or television are. there in NOTHING like the sound of live drum corps. NOTHING. Unfortunately for some people, there are very few affordable close options for watching live drum corps. So rehearsals are a very nice way of getting a little more for your money. If you want to charge a little for rehearsals, well, I don't see a problem with that.

You are right to some degree that it was nice we did get to watch as much as we did. However, Crown is NOT a new corps, and they are aware of what usually happens as rehearsals. They know the fans are hoping for a full run through. And for the rest of this season, we won't bother Crown by showing up at their rehearsals. Not a problem since Cavies, Scouts, Vanguard, Devils, Coats, Boston, Glassmen, Colts and many others have been more than hospitable. Kids from many corps have even waved to us in the stands, and asked us what we have thought of their show during water breaks. And in return over the years, when we have been at rehearsals, we have offered to help in the cook truck, running on Walmart runs for corps needing quick supplies, and have covered lots of volunteers long enough for them to get a quick shower, or power nap. My wife has even helped with several sewing emergencies over the years as well.

Edited by MisterA

. Devils are disliked because everyone is tired of them winning year after year, and beating out their favorite corps.

Sorry, I hate BD for other reasons

In all honesty, I think we need to stop speculating why that run through was closed. Slinging mud is not getting us closer to the truth, and Crown does have a right to run a closed rehearsal. As spectators we PAY to attend the show (which did happen).

Corps are more careful today because of social media sharing and the types of amazing electronic recorders that can capture content that is copyrighted and very costly.

Also, if Crown was rehearsing at the show site, and their run through was about 1 hour or so prior to the start of the show, then I bet it was the stadium people that asked the crowd to leave. They need time to setup their personnel, concessions, be sure no one is in the stadium without a ticket to the show, and they need to double check all areas for security reasons.

Drum corps is having a hard time selling its product because, to some degree, we have a lot of folks that wish to watch rehearsals, watch warm-ups in the lot, and not always buy a ticket and just attend the show. Many of these folks will then by a cheap General Admission seat and come in for their one, maybe two corps (sometimes even standing with staff or finding open seats in the reserved areas).

I'm not saying that I am against this, but clearly the corps receive no money for these services, and often they find their product on video sites, being passed around for others to check out. This is no different than what was going on years ago with Napster. It might be fun, but it doesn't help the corps, and it is illegal. People can say that they would never do this (and I am sure most would not), but the protections that all the corps must put into place today are necessary.

If I were the OP, certainly I would have been upset to some extent, more of a "darn, I really wanted to watch that." But in the long run, they did get what they paid for, and that took a gamble on that rehearsal and were allowed to watch for some time. Bonus! But when the free candy stops being thrown, it's time to go back to the world of supporting drum corps and not expecting a handout!

Very well said! I vote we shut this thread down!

If I were the OP, certainly I would have been upset to some extent, more of a "darn, I really wanted to watch that." But in the long run, they did get what they paid for, and that took a gamble on that rehearsal and were allowed to watch for some time. Bonus! But when the free candy stops being thrown, it's time to go back to the world of supporting drum corps and not expecting a handout!

Or the corps could actually support its fans. I know...providing maximum benefit for paying customers is such an odd business practice that we certainly couldn't expect any organization in our teeny little niche to do it. That sort of thing is only for, you know, real businesses that operate in the real world and want to build large satisfied customer bases and raving fans.

:blink:

I completely disagree with this. There is no comparison between Crown and Devils at this time. Devils are disliked because everyone is tired of them winning year after year, and beating out their favorite corps. And other than the recent G7 developments, most people I know are very excited about Crown being so close to the top now. Everyone is excited to see a new face in the medalist column.

'

If Crown should win this year and next year.... trust me.... Crown will be the recpient of all sorts of attacks similar to what Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavs, did when they won back to back titles.

" Uneasy sits the Crown ".

'

If Crown should win this year and next year.... trust me.... Crown will be the recpient of all sorts of attacks similar to what Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavs, did when they won back to back titles.

" Uneasy sits the Crown ".

I'm sure they'll get some, but honestly, a lot of those others have had some pretty legitimate complaints over the years, and they have mainly related to design issues.

Cadets- have gone overboard on electronics\narration in controversial ways that the fans just have not liked. Lower corps that did similar things also got criticism.

BD- is great at executing their shows, but their design team has a formula that maxes out the 'metric', which unfortunately doesnt mean it actually maxes out fan enjoyment.

Cavies- had a lot of criticism for a couple things. 1. the focus on visual before music. Its undeniable that a lot of their shows have been visual driven the last decade, especially early on. 2. volume. Their brass philosophy has valued cleanness in the sound first before volume, so thats their goal, but to some it isnt as enjoyable as a corps that isnt afraid to let loose a bit more.

As long as crown keeps designing shows like they have the last 5 years, they'll continue getting the love.

Edited by AlexL