Carolina Crown-most disappointing Friday

I think Crown's attitude has changed, especially after last year's 2nd place finish. They feel entitled to win DCI, and they feel that their corps and their show is so special that they need to keep people away from it as much as possible, like it's some diamond.

And so it begins......

I said on another post that everybody loves your Corps, until you get at or near the top.

Exhibit #1

Carolina Crown... you were once the darling underdog. Welcome to the top of the mountain where it's about to get very, very lonely and the heat that the Blue Devils have caught is about to come down your boulevard. I hope you're prepared for it. The Blue Devils have for years and years.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you tell me a corps that has a policy that no one can watch them rehearse?

INT.

Could you tell me a corps that has a policy that no one can watch them rehearse?

I don't want to give any impression of bad mouthing any corps, but there have been two corps (one a multi-champion) who have been diligent about asking people not affiliated with the corps (staff, support staff, volunteers, drivers, alumni, etc) to please exit the facilities. Sometimes, I had been told, it was for liability reasons (once we were asked to leave the stadium area, and we moved to an area off the stadium grounds where we could watch stuff).

As someone else mentioned, there have been times when I was watching a corps rehearse at the show sight and been asked by a corps rep to leave the stadium so they can clear/prepare before the show.

The two corps that had been diligent about not admitting people into their practice not affiliated with the corps/school sight did so at times either during Finals week or large regionals, which is a little more understanding. But they made it pretty clear that they just didn't want anyone hanging out watching rehearsal.

I guess my point was anyone who was attending an open rehearsal is basically getting a free/bonus service, and anything the host corps let them watch is kind of a bonus/icing on the cake if there was no advertised clinic specifically for that occasion. Kind of like if I go to my local MLB park a few hours before game day and they don't let me in to watch batting practice, or won't let me go down front to try for autographs: while some parks/clubs allow for that extra 'perk,' it's not a part of the game and is not an entitlement.

Are you sure it was Crown that made this decision and not the folks at the stadium? I know my family attended a rehearsal of the Cadets last year and just as they were getting ready to do a final run there was an announcement made that everyone had to clear the stadium.

We all moaned and groaned, but one of folks associated with the school that was hosting pointed out that they had less than one hour before the gates "officially" opened for that evening's show and they really needed the place to be cleared out...which I understood.

I think the Cadets were probably disappointed to lose their audience for the run of the show as well.

If it was indeed just the decision of the corps, that's not the way to treat your fans.

I've been to a Cadets rehearsal. All they do is make you don't video(except the kid in the front row). I've also been to SCV,BD,PR,BAC, and Madison. I was never kicked out for a full run.

Kinda flys in the face of that whole marketing aspect of the g7 thingy, huh?

Sure does. If true, it doesn't sound like much of a " TOP ACT " at all.

Geez, it's one thing to drive fans out of the stands from attending shows. Now we're driving fans out of the stands at PRACTICE ?

This can't be a good thing,... G-7 proposed Corps or not.

And so it begins......

I said on another post that everybody loves your Corps, until you get at or near the top.

Exhibit #1

Carolina Crown... you were once the darling underdog. Welcome to the top of the mountain where it's about to get very, very lonely and the heat that the Blue Devils have caught is about to come down your boulevard. I hope you're prepared for it. The Blue Devils have for years and years.

I completely disagree with this. There is no comparison between Crown and Devils at this time. Devils are disliked because everyone is tired of them winning year after year, and beating out their favorite corps. And other than the recent G7 developments, most people I know are very excited about Crown being so close to the top now. Everyone is excited to see a new face in the medalist column.

From another post: "Could you tell me a corps that has a policy that no one can watch them rehearse?"

INT.

True. INT. rehearsals are closed at all times. Interestingly enough, when they perform, it seems a lot of fans leave the stands for refreshments and a smoke! Maybe we just don't know enough about them. :blink:

Sure does. If true, it doesn't sound like much of a " TOP ACT " at all.

Geez, it's one thing to drive fans out of the stands from attending shows. Now we're driving fans out of the stands at PRACTICE ?

This can't be a good thing,... G-7 proposed Corps or not.

Hmmm...

I can probably count on one hand how many huge bands I've seen live that let the general public in to watch their sound check/pre-show warm-up/rehearsal. "Top Act" has nothing to do with catering to fans who feel entitled to more than seeing the full show they paid for. I know for some bitter folks it's easy to want to take pot shots at the corps they disagree with/don't like, but this is being WAY blown out of proportion. The ONLY way I can fathom this being any sort of issue is if Crown had advertised and committed to a full clinic, and then bailed on the clinic at the last second. This situation involves people who believe that just because they personally want to see a full rehearsal/run of a corps rehearsing at the show sight, they should be entitled to. This is another example of selfish behavior/attitude prevalent in modern society: "I want X, therefor if I don't get it I'm going to be upset and feel wronged." This is ridiculous thinking, and in an activity where members/corps have to work for EVERYTHING they get (respect, ranking, scores, financial stability, etc), it's a little embarrassing to see the fans seek out the opposite.