Carolina Crown-most disappointing Friday

I'm about certain the reason people were asked to leave the stands is the fact there were SO MANY people there that WILL BE attending the show that night, and it just so happened to be the show they were unveiling a new ending. They wanted it to be a surprise, and with that many people at the show already EXPECTING it, would kill the element of surprise. Even if they were working on it during rehearsal, you wouldn't know it would be IN the show that night. The full run through at the end of the day is like a dress rehearsal run through of the exact performance that night, if something is being worked on, it might not be in the run-through and also not in the show.

From what I remember, crown has never had any issues with people watching rehearsals, not even during finals week. They also don't openly discourage people recording things, just discourage putting it online, especially if it hasn't been officially revealed yet.

Sorry the OP and his new friend picked a bad day to come watch a rehearsal.

everyones speculation here is entertaining, but incorrect< what happened was crown had scheduled ensemble till 5:30, right before 5 event staff told crown that they were supposed to be cleared at five for the band/clinic kids photos in the stands and pre show activities. crown then told the kids to set up for a run, and that for working so hard they were letting them out early..even tho they were being kicked out, then rushed out immediately following there run thru!

so event staff then started to clear the stadium.

furthermore crown has never entertained a closed rehearsal atmosphere. people are encouraged to come watch, and almost every rehearsal there are people watching! having an audience for the run thrus is something the performers at crown love. it is unfortunate for everyone that people were forced to leave.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure it was Crown that made this decision and not the folks at the stadium? I know my family attended a rehearsal of the Cadets last year and just as they were getting ready to do a final run there was an announcement made that everyone had to clear the stadium.

We all moaned and groaned, but one of folks associated with the school that was hosting pointed out that they had less than one hour before the gates "officially" opened for that evening's show and they really needed the place to be cleared out...which I understood.

I think the Cadets were probably disappointed to lose their audience for the run of the show as well.

If it was indeed just the decision of the corps, that's not the way to treat your fans.

Good points.

I know I've done PA work at various shows (DCI and DCA) when I've been asked to make the "please clear the stadium" announcement on behalf of the folks running the show.....like you said, to get the stadium ready.

Edited by Fran Haring

Mean old Carolina Crown! :blink:

• Like 1

More towards my point then... I seriously doubt it was the staff that decided to make you move. My money is on the show sponsor.

So, the show sponsor REALLY needed the extra 20 minutes or so that it would have taken for a full run through? There have been a few incidents regarding Crown this off season, all documented earlier in this thread, that give the impression to the public that they are becoming a little bit too full of themselves. I think we've all seen from the BP oil spill debacle what bad public relations moves can do to a company's reputation. Crown seems to be telling it's loyal and long time fans that it doesn't need or want them any more, they have now reached the "big time". If indeed this was not Crown's decision, they should get out in front of it now and make it clear that it was the show sponsors.

everyones speculation here is entertaining, but incorrect< what happened was crown had scheduled ensemble till 5:30, right before 5 event staff told crown that they were supposed to be cleared at five for the band/clinic kids photos in the stands and pre show activities. crown then told the kids to set up for a run, and that for working so hard they were letting them out early..even tho they were being kicked out, then rushed out immediately following there run thru!

so event staff then started to clear the stadium.

furthermore crown has never entertained a closed rehearsal atmosphere. people are encouraged to come watch, and almost every rehearsal there are people watching! having an audience for the run thrus is something the performers at crown love. it is unfortunate for everyone that people were forced to leave.

THIS!!!!!

DCP= The place where people come together to assume the worst, and no corps gets the benefit of the doubt.

So, the show sponsor REALLY needed the extra 20 minutes or so that it would have taken for a full run through? There have been a few incidents regarding Crown this off season, all documented earlier in this thread, that give the impression to the public that they are becoming a little bit too full of themselves. I think we've all seen from the BP oil spill debacle what bad public relations moves can do to a company's reputation. Crown seems to be telling it's loyal and long time fans that it doesn't need or want them any more, they have now reached the "big time". If indeed this was not Crown's decision, they should get out in front of it now and make it clear that it was the show sponsors.

You really are Grumpy! :rolleyes:

This isn't bad PR...and to question the DCI Staff that removed the people from the stands has nothing to do with Crown! They were rehearsing up to the point they could (and probably ran over the time they had alloted). If the people getting a FREE show can complain about getting FREE...well...ANYTHING, that blows my mind! They were at the stadium, got to see some rehearsal, and were removed due to time constraints. The end. They probably didn't even play the entire show anyway! They usually don't play major impact points to save the chops before a show...so they didn't really miss much if you ask me!

Enjoy what you were able to of their rehearsal!

Did you enjoy the show? I'm pretty sure you did!

THIS!!!!!

DCP= The place where people come together to assume the worst, and no corps gets the benefit of the doubt.

I hear Fiedler kicks puppies.

But would it be sacriligious to say that I've enjoyed Carolina Crown's earlier editions than their current 2010 edition ? This 2010 Crown could win it all this year. Will it be my favorite Crown show however ? Not in it's current form, it won't. Right now there are at least 3.. maybe 4 ,2010 Corps shows... that I enjoy more than Crown's 2010 show. But to be fair, this was just from my computer screen, and maybe live I might appreciate it more fully.

Not at all.

I don't particularly care for Crown's 2010 show either, so far. They're executing it well, and most likely will be in the running, but it's just not drawing me in like some of their past shows. Like you, there are at least four other shows I'm enjoying more.

furthermore crown has never entertained a closed rehearsal atmosphere. people are encouraged to come watch, and almost every rehearsal there are people watching! having an audience for the run thrus is something the performers at crown love.

I can second this statement having been on the other end of this. We always LOVED having an audience (as I'm sure most corps did) as we would feed off their reactions. We always got decent crowds but I'm sure the crowds are HUGE in comparison to the mid 2000s. Plus, having a crowd always just seemed to give more energy to everyone making the rehearsal "seem" a little easier to get through.

They probably didn't even play the entire show anyway! They usually don't play major impact points to save the chops before a show...so they didn't really miss much if you ask me!

That's something that has been done for a while now at Crown and I would have thought people would have picked up on it. Bottom line, if you are wanting to see a full run of the show on a show day, you better be a percussion fan cause you won't be getting much sound coming from those brass instruments. Most of my friends are drummers anyways so we never have a problem with this...