St Peter MN

As much as fans who "needz sum scorz" were disappointed. The fact is that the show went on, the fans were entertained and heard great drum corps by some of the best corps DCI has to offer. Tonight and tomorrow when the next set of scores come up, this will be completely forgotten.

I do have one question (may have been answered earlier in thread)...were judges there? It would seem that if they were, they could still make their tapes available to the corps for tweaks.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't possibly understand how the two could be confused :tongue:

And back in 1983, both Northfield and St. Peter had senior corps, which finished just 0.4 points apart at the Drum Corps Midwest Championship.

St. Peter's corps, was, of course, the defending DCA Class 'A' Champion Govenaires, while Northfield's corps was the popular (but extremely short-lived) Jesse James Gang Drum & Bugle Corps. The James Gang wore long yellow coats similar to a famous Bayonne, NJ junior corps. Unfortunately, the Jesse James Gang was only on the field for that 1983 season.

And back in 1983, both Northfield and St. Peter had senior corps, which finished just 0.4 points apart at the Drum Corps Midwest Championship.

St. Peter's corps, was, of course, the defending DCA Class 'A' Champion Govenaires, while Northfield's corps was the popular (but extremely short-lived) Jesse James Gang Drum & Bugle Corps. The James Gang wore long yellow coats similar to a famous Bayonne, NJ junior corps. Unfortunately, the Jesse James Gang was only on the field for that 1983 season.

Shoot.. I would've loved to have grabbed me a Jesse James Gang T-shirt from this Corps for my Harley riding Cousin.

"The Big House" which is the University of Michigan's (one of the top 5 college football programs of all time) football stadium seats around 110,000 and it only had lights installed in the past few years...... so no, it is not rare for college stadiums to have no lights, even the most important of them.

:tongue:

Very true !!

Just for the record - the Big Ten had NO stadiums with permanent lights until the University of Minnesota moved into the Metrodome..that would mean "The Big House" in Ann Arbor, "The Horseshoe" in Columbus and the rest of the Big 10..If you remember, the first time they had a DCI show in Madison, they had to truck in temporary lighting standards to Camp Randall..

BTW - Gustavus USED to have lights at the old stadium, but when the big tornado blew through town in 1999, they were damaged and never replaced...They CHOSE not to put them in because the MIAC conference plays almost all of its games on Saturday afternoons..Most of their schools don't have lights either..

Personally - they should have been able to have scores..It was a gorgeous day here yesterday and I can't believe a panel would have been unable to work normally.

Pat

Just to set the record straight . . . St. Peter is most certainly not like St. Olaf.

In the television show, St. Olaf was neighbors with St. Gustaf, and there was also a town called Beaver Falls nearby. There is a real life Beaver Falls Township in Minnesota. The towns of St. Olaf and St. Gustaf were derived from the names of two Minnesota colleges, St. Olaf College and Gustavus Adolphus College.

Considering this was the first DCI show hosted in St. Peter since ... ever ... I think it was a huge success.

Can somebody explain why is it such a huge deal to not have a judging panel, anyway? If it saves the sponsors money and continues to allow some of the best drum corps to be displayed in southern MN, what's the harm? There's 30+ other shows these corps will get judged at. One exhibition show isn't do damage to the scores or standings.

And to the posters who cry "OMG NO SCORES!" or "Somebody should be fired," the people who organized the show (and kept it alive by relocating it rather than cancelling it) owe nothing to your sad habit of obsessing over how much Corps X beat Corps Y.

Considering this was the first DCI show hosted in St. Peter since ... ever ... I think it was a huge success.

Can somebody explain why is it such a huge deal to not have a judging panel, anyway? If it saves the sponsors money and continues to allow some of the best drum corps to be displayed in southern MN, what's the harm? There's 30+ other shows these corps will get judged at. One exhibition show isn't do damage to the scores or standings.

And to the posters who cry "OMG NO SCORES!" or "Somebody should be fired," the people who organized the show (and kept it alive by relocating it rather than cancelling it) owe nothing to your sad habit of obsessing over how much Corps X beat Corps Y.

Ding, Ding Ding!!!! I haven't read all the posts here,...but I see few if any that WERE at the show complaining about not having judges. Sounds like all the corps performed well and the crowd enjoyed them. I do find it a bit odd though that it was not advertised as an exhibition,....maybe it was and I'm not aware of that either???

Eric, you forgot the main difference between the schools.

Stolaf sux!

Gustavus rules!

You're welcome. :tongue:

Mike

Gustavus Adolphus College '99

And here I thought you and Eric had actual college degrees from actual respected and accredited educational institutions.

My mistake.

Todd

University of Minnesota, Institute of Technology, '88

The stadium was built by a private college for division III collegiate football. Those games are always played on Saturday afternoons in Minnesota. Lights would only have seen use once every 2 or 3 years for a special event and thus not worth the expense for the college.

Nice looking stadium...wonder why no lights were put in. :tongue:

811asu157a.jpg