Low-End Synth

Low-End Synth  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Considering DCI's current set of rules, how do you feel about the use of low-end synth?

• I wish it was used more.
    • I like how it has been used and really adds to the shows.
    • I am indifferent.
    • It shoud be used less than it currently is.
    • It should never be used.
    • What Low-End Synth?

I try to imagine a scenario of staff adding something that you wouldn't find a way to justify. It's impossible. :thumbup:

I get what you're saying, and I think we all have places where we draw the proverbial line. For you, there isn't one. For some of us, there is. It's that simple.

my guess is human sacrifice may draw the line, depending on the human chosen

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking today how odd it is that electric keyboard synthesizers have appeared in DCI before trombones and F horns. Back in 2001 I would have never guessed that I would see electric instruments before the full gamut of brass. Weird to me, I guess...

We used to have French Horns (of the marching variety) and I wish we still did. There's a voicing gap between Baris and Mellos that they would fill nicely I think.

So, apparently the Synths drove so many people away at the Dubuque show that there were only 21 people in the stands (pulled from an earlier post); and the Atlanta show is going to have a stellar audience. Interesting.

The 21 was the used in the wrong context by someone who couldn't count the poll results that said only 21 people, AT THAT TIME, like the use os synths in the show. I NEVER said that Dubuque only had 21 people. I DIDN'T GO. After thirty years of drum corps, I have finally had enough. Change all you want, I have my dvds from when I liked the SOUND of ACOUSTIC drum corps. YOWZA, YOWZA, YOWZA, this I BELIEVE ended it for me. I gave it a chance last year, I didn't like it. No one will miss me with all these new rich fans coming into DCI's folds, right?

I DIDN'T GO. After thirty years of drum corps, I have finally had enough. Change all you want, I have my dvds from when I liked the SOUND of ACOUSTIC drum corps. YOWZA, YOWZA, YOWZA, this I BELIEVE ended it for me. I gave it a chance last year, I didn't like it. No one will miss me with all these new rich fans coming into DCI's folds, right?

I can second you skyrydr. I don't want to hear synths at a drum corps show. If I want synths, there's always Lady Gaga.

MHO...

I do not care how the sound is produced...amplified or acoustic. IMO 'acoustic' carries no extra 'bonus points'. Good is good, and bad is bad.

Here I agree with you. I don't know what it is if the synthesized sound drowns out the contras ("good" or "bad"). All I know is, I came away wondering two things: Doesn't the design staff realize that when they double the contra line with synthesized sound, it covers the acoustic sound? And, .... there seems no need to have contras if you're going to use the synthesizer to double the contra line. This wasn't unique to one corps - it happened with EVERY corps except Pioneer.

that's a pretty good rationale for replacing horns with synthesizers in general.

Have 20 guard kids, 20 in the pit, one synthesizer...... you got a show.

I can second you skyrydr. I don't want to hear synths at a drum corps show. If I want synths, there's always Lady Gaga.

I had not seen a drum corps show since 1991 (started in 1978) and the first time I subscribed to the DCI online live webcasts I see Cadets with this gawd awful "This I Believe" show and I couldn't BELIEVE it! Now it has descended into synthesizers and more amplification. It will soon be a variety show performed on the field with guitars and vocals...which for some people may be fine, more power to them. Just don't do it in DCI. I liked the Star's idea of going off and creating a new form of entertainment - I loved Blast. But it is not drum corps and they knew it. George Hopkins needs to do the same thing and not drag drum corps down to a place they can never come back from when the fan base is gone. Because I guarantee you - they will not be able to compete with the major rock bands and tours...they will not draw those fans.

The 21 was the used in the wrong context by someone who couldn't count the poll results that said only 21 people, AT THAT TIME, like the use os synths in the show. I NEVER said that Dubuque only had 21 people. I DIDN'T GO. After thirty years of drum corps, I have finally had enough. Change all you want, I have my dvds from when I liked the SOUND of ACOUSTIC drum corps. YOWZA, YOWZA, YOWZA, this I BELIEVE ended it for me. I gave it a chance last year, I didn't like it. No one will miss me with all these new rich fans coming into DCI's folds, right?

Ok; out of the 21 people at the Dubuque show that were polled stating that they did not like the synth, how many of them are like you and will never ever again attend a DCI show? My guess is that all 21 would go again; and if one or two of them did not, it would be for many other reasons than they just do not like the synth or do not like the direction DCI is going. Also, how do you know a lot of people are currently refusing to go to shows because they, like you, do not like the direction DCI is going? Attendance at various paid entertainmet events is based more on economics than boycotting. Do I personally like the electronics and synths in DCI? Nope. Did I like the microphoned talking in the Cadets 2009 show? Nope. Will I still go see DCI shows because I am entertained by the activity? Yep.

Edited by Stu

The brass judge's comments during SCV's big push last summer. "Nice full controlled triple forte push here. Synthesizers are certainly pulling their weight and blending well with the horns."

I hate brass effect that is created with one finger on a keyboard. I do like many of the non low-end synth usage things. Corps should have enough pride in their hornlines to know where to draw the line.

For some reason the whole low-end synth thing reminds of the Andy Griffith episode where Barney is singing a solo with a group at a competition. The group turns off his microphone during the solo and some ringer is actually singing the solo from the side. Same thing here for me. Fake.

As per usual, the peanut gallery is knee-jerking and drum corps' are taking things to the extreme.

1. Drum corps should be using the synth in a more subtle way. Just another "color" on the musical pallet (not a featured caption, in my opinion). It really is a great effect when the low synths are "felt" more than they are heard. If I were them, I would turn a speaker toward the field and use it as a reference pitch and the audience would hear the residual sound in arena anyways (if you just want to augment your brass sound). I was at Oswego last night and Madison used heavy amounts of low synth with their 20+ contras. It was wayyyy too much. Balance in all things. By-the-way, please pick a sound with overtones similar to brass.

Secondly, corps' haven't figured out how to balance them with the music on the field quiet yet. The speakers are too directional and the sound always feels like it's in front of the corps. Perhaps they're balancing them for the press box - good for score, bad for anyone not near the press box. Another thing they have to figure out is how the speakers are projecting compared to the corps. Of course, this can depend on temperature, barometric pressure, speakers, and timbre of the sounds you are amplifying. That's why I think it's a good idea to fit them "in" your texture, and not on "top."

2. You guys on here poo-pooing synths are just as bad. You're on the other extreme. True, if drum corps used it in a more musical way it would be more enjoyable. But in any field (mine is music) we enjoy using new technology and seeing what we can do with it. Any of you arm-chair-quarterbacks use a pager any more? Car phone? Why not!?!? Well, if a rotary telephone was good enough for US President Rutherford B. Hayes, it should be good enough for you. Or do you hate America? (By-the-by, that's how you come across in all this.)

Any new technology takes a while to learn. It's still in the infant stage - learning to crawl, walk, etc. If the rules in DCI weren't so rigid to begin with, gradually allowing different things on the field (instead of a "free market" approach), maybe we wouldn't have these transitional periods. But you can't deny a corps right to stay competitive; their very survival depends on it.

You hear that, corps-that-have-no-idea-what-you're-doing-with-electronics? YOUR survival.