Isn't It Time to Revamp the Judging System?

3. You can go 18-0 and still lose on the final night. I think that makes it exciting :)

Only one corps in 26 years has lost Finals after winning Semis. And still overall, the average score of the 1 seed goes *up* on Finals night while the other 11 go down. I think it would be even more exciting knowing that on the last night, any of 3-4 corps have a legitimate shot to win.

Mike

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No score announcements throughout the year unitl DCI.

That should cause some interesting conversations both on DCP and in the stands through the season.

APPLAUSE METER! ....Let the people who pay for it, DECIDE...APPLAUSE METER!!!@

APPLAUSE METER! ....Let the people who pay for it, DECIDE...APPLAUSE METER!!!@

Having played in shows that did just that (among other gimmicks dcm tried as it was on its way out) i have to give this a resounding NO.

Someone posted it earlier in the thread how scores should more accurately reflect the sheets. I agree. As it is now, the margin means a lot more than the score in many cases. If a corps deserves a score, based on judging criteria, they should get that score, regardless of whether you need to 'leave room' for other corps above. Of course, to do that, you'd probably have to adjust the scoring system. Maybe make more room at the top (probably want to keep top score at 100, for simplicity) by moving things lower? A lot of numbers not used in the season in the 1-50 range...

Edited by AlexL

Having played in shows that did just that (among other gimmicks dcm tried as it was on its way out) i have to give this a resounding NO.

Which is why I'd suggest GE take into account Audience Effect. Let's face it; judges will judge whatever criteria they're told to, to the best of their ability. If a GE judge is supposed to tell us right now if the program is successful in creating an "effect", I think they could also tell us within parameters how successful a show is in communicating with an audience.

Mike

Which is why I'd suggest GE take into account Audience Effect. Let's face it; judges will judge whatever criteria they're told to, to the best of their ability. If a GE judge is supposed to tell us right now if the program is successful in creating an "effect", I think they could also tell us within parameters how successful a show is in communicating with an audience.

Mike

I could see that being a good idea, but how do you counteract the effect that is given to the 'home team' weighing into those scores?

audience effect can be regionally skewed. BD will not get the love in the east the Cadets will. Cadets will not get the love in the West like BD or SCV would. Hell even finals could be skewed because of location...more midwest fans would probably be there because of location.

Mike

Audience communication is a part of it BUT..what does that mean is another story..The look of communication is one thing..reaction is another. An audiance can be turned on by a simple loud note :sad: or a high toss but does that make it an effect ( Very debateable ) does an effect have anything to do with programing or fit musically?

I think some weight should be put on audiance. SOME.... As far as the TICK system as someone else said it was just as subjective maybe worse. As far as every corps doing some drill move or whatever as a compulsory., To me what a way to suck the life and creativity out of the activity. Imagine 12 Z pulls at finals..BORE

JMO

audience effect can be regionally skewed. BD will not get the love in the east the Cadets will. Cadets will not get the love in the West like BD or SCV would. Hell even finals could be skewed because of location...more midwest fans would probably be there because of location.

I would suggest defining the sheets as audience effect rather than audience reaction for just that reason. Look, any system you choose is subjective and practically arbitrary. I would much rather see one that at least has the goal of rewarding shows that are designed to elicit reactions from the audience.

Mike

As far as every corps doing some drill move or whatever as a compulsory., To me what a way to suck the life and creativity out of the activity. Imagine 12 Z pulls at finals..BORE

JMO

It need not be requirements that are quite so obvious, I think.

But still, at the end of the day I'd submit that the corps (see G7 proposal), fans (see DCP) and even the insiders in drum corps (listen to Field Pass) care a lot more about the "competition" aspect of drum corps than is being acknowledged right now. (Listen / read Steve Auditore's marching member survey - shows up in there, too!) Seriously - listen to Field Pass and take a drink every time the C word comes up. (Note to those under 18 - choose a nice non-alcoholic beverage!) It's kind of startling to hear just how much emphasis is put on the competitive aspect of DCI, yet it has been completely removed from the marketing of the activity.

And for all of that, the scores are subject to criteria that are not clearly defined (GE), completely ignored at times (electronics) yet impact everything from performance appearance fees to sponsorships to - if the G7 get their way - the amount of say you get in the boardroom.

I don't think it inappropriate at all to try to find both an apples-to-apples way of helping create scores, or a way that makes the competition translate into a race to bring the audience to their feet the most. Who would lose in that scenario?

Sorry for the soapbox - it's been percolating for a while!

Mike