Why do parades?

Interesting observation about this thread:

Drum Corps is touted as an American Institution; Independence Day honors the birth of America; Drum Corps has its roots in the VFW; Memorial Day honors those that died for our freedoms; and all we have boiled this down to is defining Independence Day just as July 4, and the reason corps do parades on those particular days is due to the modern defining term for America: Money. Sad, y’all, very sad indeed.

Reasonable points, all, I guess... from a Patriotic point-of-view. But it's really kind of "sad" that you choose to play the "shouldn't you be ashamed of yourselves" card here when the fact of the matter IS that corps need an operating budget to make it through the summer... and parades are part of that. I don't think drum corps are basically "defining" anything here as you allege. Maybe you should contact the cities that pay for these parade appearances and cast "shame" on them as well for even offering a pay out for a parade appearance and how un-American and "sad" (as you've called it) THAT is.

Are you suggesting the corps should all do the appearances for free? Someone always has to put a spin on everything to make everyone feel guilty about just about everything these days.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've even know corps to split their membership so they could do 2 parades at the same time. and on the fourth we usually did at least 3 parades in one day, and if you are in a big enough area with a lot of smaller towns there's plenty of parades to be had. And if you split the corps and do multiple parades, then the corps could do 4-6 parades in one day and make some serious cash. Think about it, with the size of the top corps now you';d have 2 corps with 35 brass, send half the snares and the tenors to one and the other half of the snares and the bases to the other, and 15-20 guard for each half. That's as big as some smaller corps and still would sound good.

Reasonable points, all, I guess... from a Patriotic point-of-view. But it's really kind of "sad" that you choose to play the "shouldn't you be ashamed of yourselves" card here when the fact of the matter IS that corps need an operating budget to make it through the summer... and parades are part of that. I don't think drum corps are basically "defining" anything here as you allege. Maybe you should contact the cities that pay for these parade appearances and cast "shame" on them as well for even offering a pay out for a parade appearance and how un-American and "sad" (as you've called it) THAT is.

Are you suggesting the corps should all do the appearances for free? Someone always has to put a spin on everything to make everyone feel guilty about just about everything these days.

No, I am not suggesting that corps march parades for free. Corps do need funds, and parades are a valid source of revenue. I am not suggesting anything; I am point blank observing that:

a) The OP casually referred to July 4 as just another day, nothing special about that day, and that it was actually just an ordinary day that would be better used as a rehearsal day, even going so far as to say he saw no value in them by stating that they were "... a waste of time and energy", indicating that the parades, nor the day itself, has any meaning what so ever.

b) Not a single poster, not one, prefaced their replies about the money issue by indicating that the parades in of themselves have value honoring Independence Day; again referring to the day itself as just July 4.

c) City officials have to spend precious tax dollars to shut down streets and pay for police to monitor crowd control. They do this to honor Independence Day. They also pay out performance fees, not because it is altruistic, not to graciously help the financial bottom line for drum corps, but because they realize in the cultural atmosphere of today not many marching units would appear out of that same honor to our country; the cities are fully aware that, like those posting to this thread, July 4 to most corps has become all about money, or it is just considered another non special free day like the OP first indicated.

d) So, if you think that I posted my observation to elicit guilt from "all" of us because Independence Day requires more respect than just calling it July 4; and to state that the parades should be viewed more about honoring that aspect than about Money. Or to elicit a response like, "... I guess ... from a Patriotic point-of-view" and then spending the rest of the response defending the money issue, which tells me that the particular view of honoring Independence Day as being Patriotic is rather low on the totem poll (actually proving my point thank you), then you are correct.

Edited by Stu

When I started out in the juniors we were sponsered by an American Legion post, so the Memorial Day parade was a manditory appearance, and a freebee at that. One time there was a DCA corps right behind us that had a member who had to take a leak in the worst way. He bolted into the woods and was literally swinging from the branches to get back to the corps before it stepped off again. We all got a kick out of that. Parades can be a lot of fun, as long as you don't have to follow any horses. :thumbup:

No, I am not suggesting that corps march parades for free. Corps do need funds, and parades are a valid source of revenue. I am not suggesting anything; I am point blank observing that:

a) The OP casually referred to July 4 as just another day, nothing special about that day, and that it was actually just an ordinary day that would be better used as a rehearsal day, even going so far as to say he saw no value in them by stating that they were "... a waste of time and energy", indicating that the parades, nor the day itself, has any meaning what so ever.

b) Not a single poster, not one, prefaced their replies about the money issue by indicating that the parades in of themselves have value honoring Independence Day; again referring to the day itself as just July 4.

c) City officials have to spend precious tax dollars to shut down streets and pay for police to monitor crowd control. They do this to honor Independence Day. They also pay out performance fees, not because it is altruistic, not to graciously help the financial bottom line for drum corps, but because they realize in the cultural atmosphere of today not many marching units would appear out of that same honor to our country; the cities are fully aware that, like those posting to this thread, July 4 to most corps has become all about money, or it is just considered another non special rehearsal day like the OP first indicated.

d) So, if you think that I posted my observation to elicit guilt from "all" of us because Independence Day requires more respect than just calling it July 4; and to state that the parades should be viewed more about honoring that aspect than about Money. Or to elicit a response like, "... I guess ... from a Patriotic point-of-view" then spending the rest of the post defending the money issue, which tells me that the particular view of honoring Independence Day as being Patriotic is rather low on the totem poll (actually proving my point thank you), then you are correct.

Nice retort. I completely get what you're saying.

Back on topic...

I've come to learn that for a younger/less experienced corps performer, marching parades helps to ingrain the concept that a solid, great performer approaches EVERY performance (parade or show) the exact same way. From a performance mindset and attitude perspective, how you approach your individual performance during the hometown parade should be no different than how you approach your performance during a world championship competition. Plus, what better opportunity to perfect your marching style than during a couple miles of one foot in front of the other?

For all of those that will be parading this weekend, enjoy the experience, or at least know that you're making the lives of the spectators just a little bit better that day.

haha.... funny ! Hey..ajedrummer... here's another Fourth of July parade fun story :

My brother marched in this Corps back in the late 70s.... they are marching in this toney and wealthy seaside town's July 4th parade for the first time. They are at a break in the parade, and they play a tune to the crowd. They get a nice hand. A guy standing on the sidelines in front of his mansion house listening with a cocktail in his hand and a beautiful women by his side asks the DM to speak to who's in charge. The DM points out the Corps Director. The guy goes over to the Director and says " look, I'm having a cookout and a party for guests after the parade, would your Corps be available to swing by and play some tunes like you just did for us ? " The Corps Director says that the fee for the parade was X amount " ( I forget how much my brother said ) The guy doesn't bat an eye. He says " if you stay in town after the parade and come back at such and such a time, I'll double what this parade is paying you ". ... " Sure thing " says the Corps Director, but I'll need a cashiers check "... " No problem ", says the guy, " I'll give you half in cash when you arrive, and after you play, 'll pay the rest in cash "... What a deal !... The Corps hung around a bit in the beautiful community after the parade in the town centre, then went up and returned to the guys mansion. They assembled around the guy's big lavish pool, and played to his party going guests. They loved the Corps, and gave a nice hand for the playing. It was such a success that the guy and his wife made this their July 4th tradition and continued this later with another Corps and brought them to their house also to play for his July 4th party guests. ( incidentally, the guy made his millions with his father and himself selling pots and pans on TV infomercials for over 30 years, no less..... no kidding .)

Anyway, my brother got a kick out of that impromtu opportunity for his Corps to make some excellent extra and easy money off a simple parade, and told me the story. So you just never know who's watching your Corps in these parades and what it might lead too.... haha !

That's a good one! At least you were paid for yours!!

That is who I teach now! I am the arranger of all the music, winds and percussion, and I teach them in the fall. Currently working this year's show, Tan Dun's "Crouchjng Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

BTW...I judged you all the time in EMBA back then.

I remember you! I taught South Brunswick at the same time, but when they both went into the same division, I did not want to do competing bands so I stayed with WWPHS.

Nice retort. I completely get what you're saying.

Back on topic...

I've come to learn that for a younger/less experienced corps performer, marching parades helps to ingrain the concept that a solid, great performer approaches EVERY performance (parade or show) the exact same way. From a performance mindset and attitude perspective, how you approach your individual performance during the hometown parade should be no different than how you approach your performance during a world championship competition. Plus, what better opportunity to perfect your marching style than during a couple miles of one foot in front of the other?

For all of those that will be parading this weekend, enjoy the experience, or at least know that you're making the lives of the spectators just a little bit better that day.

As long as the parade didn't have hills, bad spectators( rare ), was in very hot or cold weather, I usually loved marching in parades. The look on the little kids faces, and people clapping to the beat, as we went by, was cool. Plus, some communitities LOVED their Drum Corps, and they'd know enough to yell out " roll off.... roll off... com'on ! " to the DM who'd usually oblige, and the Drum Corps saavy crowds in that section of the city or town would lap it up when sometimes we'd stop and play for those neighborhood crowds many of whom we knew were Drum Corps crazies just like us.

Good point about the non money aspect a few others brought out too on this thread. Lots of Corps did gigs for free. Some still do. They'd march for a fallen former member at his wake... or do a veterans request parade gig for free or for pennies.. play at hospital grounds.... I even played in Corps that did a peformance at the grounds inside a Correctional Institution, and for next to nothing, I was told later.... Parades are good because they make people along the route smile and be happy and forget their woes for the moment. It that respect alone, it's all good.

Edited by BRASSO

c) City officials have to spend precious tax dollars to shut down streets and pay for police to monitor crowd control. They do this to honor Independence Day. They also pay out performance fees, not because it is altruistic, not to graciously help the financial bottom line for drum corps, but because they realize in the cultural atmosphere of today not many marching units would appear out of that same honor to our country; the cities are fully aware that, like those posting to this thread, July 4 to most corps has become all about money, or it is just considered another non special free day like the OP first indicated.

d) So, if you think that I posted my observation to elicit guilt from "all" of us because Independence Day requires more respect than just calling it July 4; and to state that the parades should be viewed more about honoring that aspect than about Money. Or to elicit a response like, "... I guess ... from a Patriotic point-of-view" and then spending the rest of the response defending the money issue, which tells me that the particular view of honoring Independence Day as being Patriotic is rather low on the totem poll (actually proving my point thank you), then you are correct.

OK, well now in your very thourough explanation of what you meant is the slam dunk pile driver you put down on me as "retort" that even another poster got a thrill out of. Your original post didn't in any way seem to say all these well made points that I responded to. I guess I should have just known you meant all this.

And by the way... my father (Purple Heart recipient in WWII) and my brother (vietnam veteran) and the fact that my flag is flying in front of my house today and will be all weekend appropriately for the respect due to all freedom Patriots and our country's "birthday" (even though the 4th of July isn't really the actual date that independance & freedom occured in history) is and are a demonstrations of my honoring all who gave their lives for this country. And maybe I'll go to a parade that demonstrates all the celebration of those memories as well!

I didn't want to start a "fight" with you on this, I was responding to your "Sad, ya'll, very sad indeed" statement.

Sorry.

I've often thought to myself... If I'd began counting (and kept track of) the total number of parades that I've marched in throughout my life, what would the number be at this point? 200? 500? Nearly 1000 or more? Likewise, how many total miles would that be? What's the total amount of people that have watched me performing in those parades over the decades?

Am I the only one that's thought about stuff like that from time-to-time?

Anyway, I've been marching since about 1979, from my high school band, to junior corps, to the United States Marine Drum & Bugle Corps, to All-Age corps, from coast to coast, in virtually every region of the country, as well as on foreign soil, and from small hometown parades to lavish (and wild) Mardi Gras Parades, to nationally televised parades. Not a lot of people get to do that kind of stuff, and I think it shapes who we are in a positive way.

Parades offer us opportunities to connect to our audiences in ways that seem to be much more meaningful (at least to them) than when we're performing on the field. With all of my parade experiences (including adding on four more this coming weekend), like you, I have a ton of memories and stories that I could tell about the things/people I've observed, or the interesting experiences I've had while performing on those parade routes.

Why do parades? Because I think it's a privilege to perform, and I'm thankful that people have cared enough to come out and watch, listen, and in many cases pay for those performances in one way or another.

I think we're all pretty lucky to own the perspective of experiencing parades from "inside the performer's fishbowl." :thumbup: