Why do parades?

Not bashing here, but what is the point of doing parades? Do corps get paid for them, or is it just for exposure? Don't get me wrong, I actually think they can be kind of fun, but I was looking on dci.org and saw that some corps are doing as many as 5 parades on the 4th of July. I just don't see any benefit in that. If you treat the 4th as a rehearsal day, cool, and if you treat it as a free day, cool, but parades don't accomplish either of those two things as far as I'm concerned. I do remember needing a lot of Gold Bond after parades, though, and I was too tired at the end of the day to even want to watch Fireworks, so as far as I see it it's just a waste of time and energy. But I could be missing something too....

Thoughts?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bashing here, but what is the point of doing parades? Do corps get paid for them, or is it just for exposure? Don't get me wrong, I actually think they can be kind of fun, but I was looking on dci.org and saw that some corps are doing as many as 5 parades on the 4th of July. I just don't see any benefit in that. If you treat the 4th as a rehearsal day, cool, and if you treat it as a free day, cool, but parades don't accomplish either of those two things as far as I'm concerned. I do remember needing a lot of Gold Bond after parades, though, and I was too tired at the end of the day to even want to watch Fireworks, so as far as I see it it's just a waste of time and energy. But I could be missing something too....

Thoughts?

Money !!!

Money !!!

Also, money.

And in a way, it keeps us reconnected with our heritage.

Who am I kidding? It's for the money. A corps can make quite a chunk of change on the 4th of July.

Cash brother CASH. It's fundraiser day! Some corps wouldn't get through the summer without a full day on the Fourth!

I'll say this Mr. Boo - i loved doing parades. When I first began marching in high school that's MOSTLY what we did. When Bluecoats were a Class A corps we did parades all the time. It's Americana & drum corps heritage for sure! Wholesome fun ending with FIREWORKS and usually an evening off!

Some parades are REALLY fun - especially if there are four or five REALLY good drum corps involved (BRISTOL!). It's a day when you get to do drum corps in a different way - get off the field for a day and MARCH and PLAY and LAUGH with your friends - and see people who aren't in a truck stop. It's nice to be outside and not have that ###### Dr. Beat piercing your eardrums.

Edited by KFanti

I might be talking a load a crap, cuz I don't really know, but i'm kinda sure that corps like Phantom get a LOT of help from the hometown and surrounding communities. Exposure leads to kids thinking about joining band, which in turn leads to more kids in music that wanna do drum corps. Parades are a drum corps billboard, to a certain extent.

Thoughts?

Pretty much a no-brainer here...they get PAID...I actually liked marching in parades myself...It also allows corps to play for the general public and get more exposure I'd imagine...probably many of those people wouldn't go to a show. Why did the Cadets perform at the presidential inaugural parade? Did they think it was a waste of time?