Incomplete Shows

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you truly believe this then you probably haven't marched anything resembling the kinda of shows that corps do today.

Or taught...

Sometimes, even the best plans to be ahead of the game with show preparation go awry and there's nothing you can do about it. It happens.

Excuses.

I teach the South Portland High School Marching Band, in South Portland, Maine. We have had late October shows where it was in the 30's and frost covered the field by retreat. A little mouthwash mixed in with the valve oil, and you are good to go.

Back to the point, there IS no excuse for an incomplete show, period. If certain corps really were the "top acts" they have proclaimed themselves to be, this would not be an issue.

That is all that's been offered by those apposed to making rules consistent through the whole season. Excuses. Show up ready or suffer the consequences. It blows me away that anyone thinks a G-7 (OMG they're just so freakin great) corps should for any reason not be able to do what the majority of other corps are already doing. It's really quite pathetic really.

Edited by BozzlyB

If you truly believe this then you probably haven't marched anything resembling the kinda of shows that corps do today.

That is such crap. By that logic MOST corps should be coming out with incomplete shows, but it is the opposite.

I have yet to see one single person in this thread provide an answer to the following question that I've presented numerous times.

What is wrong with enforcing all of the rules, all of the time. How will this negatively affect the activity?

(and lets try for something a little more creative and accurate than the "filler" argument, which I'm sure every corps that came out with a full length show this year would take serious offense to)

Edited by BozzlyB

That is such crap. By that logic MOST corps should be coming out with incomplete shows, but it is the opposite.

If you insist. You must know better than me what my experience has been in this activity. I've only been teaching drum corps for the past 20 years. Sorry for relating my experience, I didn't mean to ruin your blame game. You may resume your witch hunt.

I have yet to see one single person in this thread provide an answer to the following question that I've presented numerous times.

What is wrong with enforcing all of the rules, all of the time. How will this negatively affect the activity?

Yes I am asking this also. As I said I'm against any financial reprocussions but, what would be wrong with enforcing all the rules the entire season in relation to the scores and penalties? Someone explain how this would hurt the activity.

Then it's time to simplify the shows so they can be complete for the first show, to insure the audience is getting what it paid for.

Easy fix.

No, but one would assume that "filler" would be overall of much less quality than the rest of the show, and be judged accordingly. If it's is of the same quality, well then you can't call it filler can you. Personally I think the filler argument is BS anyway.

I appreciate your thoughts (really - this thread should be required reading every year for the BoD of DCI and member corps).

That said... so you object to short early season shows as incomplete and want them penalized (as they should IF the rule is enforced at early shows - official verdict is out on that point and everyone assumes now that it is enforceable from show #1) but you have no problem if they just park and blow some tuning chords or some fluff ending that they would have to have in place to satisfy many on this thread in order not to have a penalty enforced.

It goes back to...

1. Don't go to early shows if this bothers you - for many the early shows are not desirable for so many other reasons

2. If the timing rules are required to be enforced then penalize them accordingly (again official verdict is out on what the rule is and its enforcement policy)

Anything more than these options forces corps to either:

1. Create fluff/filler endings to avoid consequences (but still upsets fans and thus does not solve the concern of many expressed in this post)

2. Not participate in early shows (avoid penalties - especially fiscal as some have advocated as well as not upsetting the fans who demand a completed show without fluff/filler)

I lived in California for many years and went to any and all shows that I could attend - that's just me, again I'd pay to see some of the sections warm-up as DC means that much to me.

I now live in Florida and have very little opportunity as I enjoyed in CA to attend shows.

The point is simply that I can appreciate those that have fewer/no mid to late season shows locally to attend and as such we have to make choices.

Is going to a early season show where one top corps doesn't have 2 minutes of and ending really going to merit us walking away from the DC activity and shows in the future?

How about directing the energy of being upset towards having a civil discussion with the corps management?

Thanks all.