Incomplete Shows

How do you simplify drill and then build upon it without relearning all of your drill?

Maybe instead of doing that, corps should learn their difficult show as is, but just perform it 60bpm slower than they will once it's done.

Who wouldn't love a 7 minute ballad with two or three parts?!?!!?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My comments about marching band in Maine during freezing weather were specifically to rebut the fellow who suggested that SCV couldn't finish their show because it might get into the 40's in the Bay Area in January. Enough on that.

To the greater point: If Carolina Crown really is the supreme/elite/G7/top act organization that they claim to be, then they would have a full show at the first competition they were in. Period.

Or, is it possible that they in fact are NOT superior to the other corps, most of whom DID have their act together at their first show? Bottom line, when you annoint yourself the title of "Top Act", you #### well better act like it.

When they and Cadets and BD leave DCI in September and venture into the commercial performance world, THOSE spectators will be a whole lot less forgiving when they pay money for incomplete performances.

Please see the G7 forum for your G7 rants.

Maybe instead of doing that, corps should learn their difficult show as is, but just perform it 60bpm slower than they will once it's done.

Who wouldn't love a 7 minute ballad with two or three parts?!?!!?

This entire thread amounts to "it was good enough for me so it should be good enough for them".

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Except that you are assuming that the difficulty of the shows is the only thing causing incomplete shows. It isn't. It is only one part. Other things like bad weather and people getting sick or injured also contribute, and when combined with the difficulty of the shows it can make it impossible to get the show on the field in time.

That is absolute nonsense. Again, you imply that these things that ALL corps have to deal with are reasonable justification for not fielding a complete show, when in reality the majority of corps facing all of these obstacles DO field complete shows, many of which are as difficult as the ones not being completely presented. You seriously need to take a Philosophy 101 course and get your logic in line.

That is absolute nonsense. Again, you imply that these things that ALL corps have to deal with are reasonable justification for not fielding a complete show, when in reality the majority of corps facing all of these obstacles DO field complete shows, many of which are as difficult as the ones not being completely presented. You seriously need to take a Philosophy 101 course and get your logic in line.

ACTUALLY he's fine. He made no claim that all corps would be impacted uniformly every season. Sorry logic fail was in the other direction :)

"sigh" I've tried my best to communicate my point, if I haven't by now it is probably a fruitless endeavor. I guess for now it is a moot point (at least until next season) as no one is putting out time challenged shows at this point. Go drum corps!

ACTUALLY he's fine. He made no claim that all corps would be impacted uniformly every season. Sorry logic fail was in the other direction :)

You may want to join him in that Philosophy 101 course. Peace out.

I think generally the Greedy7 are the most guilty of this. I've been wondering what the first G7 proposed show in June would look like next year, with a bunch of unfinished shows. I understand why they do it. They do it because there are no repercussions.

I think that the scores should be prorated. If you only have 80% of the show on the field, and the brass judge thinks you deserve a 15, the number you should get is 12. Then, corps like SCV can still come out with their incomplete shows, they will just finish behind Academy and PC until they get their act together.

Actually, all I've seen is non-G7 corps so far, and I've seen some incomplete shows. Maybe the guard hasn't finished their work, or maybe there are long holds in the ballad.

I don't think they do it because there are no repercussions. The kids actually have other commitments besides drum corps and it's hard to work in a full show in such a short time.

How do you determine how complete a show is? Do the judges have to get together with their stopwatches and say, "Ok, the guard just held a flag for 15 seconds, the drums didn't play a couple measures and the drill stopped for 10 seconds." How is this different than judging normally (GE)?