Incomplete Shows

I propose to Hopkins et al that come up with rules proposals to propose a rule such that corps with incomplete shows by the time the season starts must appear in exhibition during intermission or prior to the start of the show for every show they are not prepared to compete in. They also receive no performance fees until they have a complete show.

Can't believe this is tolerated by DCI (i.e. SCV show not finished by the first week of July).

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I propose to Hopkins et al that come up with rules proposals to propose a rule such that corps with incomplete shows by the time the season starts must appear in exhibition during intermission or prior to the start of the show for every show they are not prepared to compete in. They also receive no performance fees until they have a complete show.

Can't believe this is tolerated by DCI (i.e. SCV show not finished by the first week of July).

True that. Esp. of a G7 super-duper corps.

Would an audience who pay full price expect to see a show on Broadway w/ the last act incomplete or not even attempted?

The corps had all winter to get ready. No excuse whatsoever.

Then what would stop corps from just not going to shows until the show is finished? If they aren't getting scored or paid, then they will just start later and later every year. It sounds like a good idea until people don't start competing in shows until early July. The season seems to be getting shorter as it is.

I think generally the Greedy7 are the most guilty of this. I've been wondering what the first G7 proposed show in June would look like next year, with a bunch of unfinished shows. I understand why they do it. They do it because there are no repercussions.

I think that the scores should be prorated. If you only have 80% of the show on the field, and the brass judge thinks you deserve a 15, the number you should get is 12. Then, corps like SCV can still come out with their incomplete shows, they will just finish behind Academy and PC until they get their act together.

edit: and the payouts should be adjusted accordingly. Take some of their money and give it to the corps with complete shows.

Edited by soccerguy315

Would an audience who pay full price expect to see a show on Broadway w/ the last act incomplete or not even attempted?

The corps had all winter to get ready. No excuse whatsoever.

This is referred to as a "Soft Opening," and is very common. Weeks of Preview Performances, usually incomplete or in-progress, are presented prior to the Premiere date, and are ticketed at full-price.

Most professional-quality shows, from Broadway to Vegas, go through this preview period, even with months, and sometimes years, of preparation and development.

Well I think cadets and cavies came out with atleast a show that felt finished. It may not have been the ending they have now but atleast they thought about the audience when competing in mid June.

It's a tough call to make... But the incentive should come from the organization itself not DCI.

But nothing against crown but the way they ended their show earlier this season was just not fair for the audience...

But maybe people who buy early June tickets buy it knowing that the quality of the show will not be great so they "get what they pay for". If you don't want to see half a show then don't go in june.

But maybe people who buy early June tickets buy it knowing that the quality of the show will not be great so they "get what they pay for". If you don't want to see half a show then don't go in june.

That makes it tough for west coast fans....don't go in June may mean don't go at all. We don't get many early season shows in the south, but at least most of ours are mid to late season.

Then what would stop corps from just not going to shows until the show is finished? If they aren't getting scored or paid, then they will just start later and later every year. It sounds like a good idea until people don't start competing in shows until early July. The season seems to be getting shorter as it is.

Oh gee I don't know, not wanting to get left in the slotting dust maybe? I get that SCV's show is hard, that's great, so are a whole bunch of other shows that have been done for WEEKS! It's quite pathetic IMO and a significant indication of a staff/organization not getting it done period.

Yea, well... that is not good for DCI, to have people skipping shows because the corps don't put their full performance on display.

I can tell you that I didn't go to the early season show that was 30 minutes from where I live because I don't think they are worth it in June.