Akron, OH show, July 9!

Great show!

Bluecoats FINALLY have a show that should allow them to contend for the title! Crown Sounded great but had 6-7 holes. Cavaliers had a great show - I thought they should have won. Scouts should have scored better.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The home show advantage theory is ridiculous. The judges don't care where they are or who's show it is.

Disagree (sort of) in that I think a home show can help the performers perform much better being that the crowd can be much more excited for you which can translate into a better performance. This is not to take away from Bluecoats at all, but I do think a home show can help.

I was at tonite's show......I agree mostly with JWillis except....I thought Boston was really the loudest(too loud at times) - I was in the 210 section 45 yrd line.....The two lines that played with the most balance were Crown and the Cavaliers, Bluecoats right in there... but Blooo does have a fantastic show-there is a little lull which ultimately ends more puncuated- but could actually use a little more which could spell top two to them. I was very happy to see The Cavaliers live....much better in person----looking for that new Cavalier ending (maybe since Sly is back that is what he is helping them with--I dunno)......I do believe Crown will be back up there----with the holes and the missing snares tonite---it seemed a bit off....I would not count them out though-the show is great....Color through the show is too monochromatic (sometimes you would think their show is called a 3rd chance since it is so bronze colored).

I am waiting for them to transport someone from "The Grass is Greener" show into this one -since this is their "Second Chance".

I am having a luv hate relationship with synths.....they layer some sounds well and then at times I feel like they are white noise that is meant to drown out traffic- I guess like anything-they can be used effectively and not so. I know many feel BOA arrived with amps, but now I feel all that is missing are flutes, clarinets and saxophones..

That all said----I was thinking that I was not going to attend finals this year and I think I have changed my mind....Just like a drug addict who thinks, "I am not going to get high tonite." I am a drum corp wh*re.

Oh, yea----love the Bluecoats long sleeved "METROPOLIS" shirt this year---cool. :tongue:

Sly's back????

Seriously? Hate on BD all you want for not liking their show,

I have to stop your right there, as I don't " hate " BD at all. Quite the contrary. I'm one of the most ardent defenders of the Blue Devils. I believe they were the best Corps last year, and deserved to win, and deserved to be undefeated. Their Guard ( for example ) , imo, was head and shoulders better than any other guard in both equipment useage, dance, versatility, experience, proper technique, and so forth. It was all about Demand. I was all about Integration of the show. It was all about Creativity.... and most importantly.... it was about EXECUTION.

It was not about " intellectualism ", and that nebulous nonsense of mush.

THAT, was my central point stated above.

Phantom Regiment was likewise a thoroughly enjoyable show in 2008 and likewise deserved to win, imo.

But this silly notion that their show taxed the brain, is simpy silly in my opinion. I was not challenged " intellectually " with their show about " Spartacus ". I got it. Children got it. It was refeshing in my opinon for it's very LACK of pretense to be anything but what it really was.... a simple story about cruelty, love, hate, power, revenge, redemption and ultimately justice. There was no " deep layers " of complexity, or " intellectual " challenge with their show or theme at all. That's nonsense. But this is just my opnion here too. If others found the the 2 recent champions shows to be " intellectually challenging " than perhaps it says more about them than it does about the last 2 DCI Champions shows.

Edited by BRASSO

I have to stop your right there, as I don't " hate " BD at all. Quite the contrary. I'm one of the most ardent defenders of the Blue Devils. I believe they were the best Corps last year, and deserved to win, and deserved to be undefeated. Their Guard ( for example ) , imo, was head and shoulders better than any other guard in both equipment useage, dance, versatility, experience, proper technique, and so forth. It was all about Demand. I was all about Integration of the show. It was all about Creativity.... and most importantly.... it was about EXECUTION.

It was not about " intellectualism ", and that nebulous nonsense of mush.

THAT, was my central point stated above.

Phantom Regiment was likewise a thoroughly enjoyable show in 2009 and likewise deserved to win, imo.

But this silly notion that their show taxed the brain, is simpy silly in my opinion. I was not challenged " intellectually " with their show about " Spartacus ". I got it. Children got it. It was refeshing in my opinon for it's very LACK of pretense to be anything but what it really was.... a simple story about love, hate, power, revenge, redemption and ultimately justice. There was no " deep layers " of complexity, or " intellectual " challenge with their show or theme at all. That's nonsense. But this is just my opnion here too. If others found the the 2 recent champions shows to be " intellectually challenging " than perhaps it says more about them than it does about the last 2 DCI Champions shows.

Assuming you mean 2008?

Disagree (sort of) in that I think a home show can help the performers perform much better being that the crowd can be much more excited for you which can translate into a better performance. This is not to take away from Bluecoats at all, but I do think a home show can help.

In my experience, this can hurt you, too. When a kid gets excited while performing and pumped up over the crowd reaction, they can sometimes *over* do it. Push past the threshold of good sound, for example, and many other things.

In my experience, this can hurt you, too. When a kid gets excited while performing and pumped up over the crowd reaction, they can sometimes *over* do it. Push past the threshold of good sound, for example, and many other things.

Yes, you are right about that. In fact it happened to me personally in 1999. I won't go any further than that lol... :tongue:

I predicted a Bloo win based purely on Home Field Advantage. I also predicted Bloo would not beat Crown again the rest of the season. Any believer of Competitive Inertia has to be a believer in HFA. (My predication was last week, in another DCP thread, but I couldn't find it.)

I also predicted Bloo in 7th in 2007, with the words "Great year for Drum Corps! SOMEONE has to come in 7th, and that will be the corps with the lowest CI, most likely. That is clearly Bluecoats." (This was before I officially announced CI; 2007 results solidified it for me)

A similar scenario is shaping up, but the difference this time is Bloo competing for the title. Now the line is "Of the shows competing for the title, the corps with the lowest CI will come in last of the title contenders." Again, that is Bloo. If there are 5 title contenders, Bloo will be 5th. If there are 4 title contenders, Bloo will be 4th. This is Bloo's fate, until they do something CLEARLY, OBVIOUSLY,MAKE-THE-JUDGES-LOOK-STUPID special. A few design changes are needed, and I'm sure they're coming.

The other title contenders know this, and will do the same, and have all been in the top 3 before,so unless one of them stumbles...

I was at the show last night. Bloo deserved the win, HFA or not. I watched every show from the VIP seats (I had 12 family members there, woot!) I looked at the person next to me (not family member, but has 2 rings), and said "If the judges do this right, Bloo should win. HFA will be a factor."

Her response was "Yeah, and Bloo needs to worry about Cavies...NOT Crown." I agree. Crown is very good, but I'm not seeing it win, unless more changes come,esp to the ending, which is nothing more than "How many ways can we stage Bb Major?"

Cavies should be in the title mix, IMO. This isn't your ol' bland "F around the room" Cavies hornline. They have some attitude. Percussion will be right there too.

Phantom? Next. (I know everyone's bagging on the tubas, and they should. You can;t hear the tubas at any volume above forte. The rest of the hornline is very good, and the drumline, well, duh.)

Boston: Loved them. The horn writing is awesome, especially for tubas.

Madison: Whatever. Easy, burger-n-fries drum corps. At least it's the first Madison hornline where I can hear the tubas. Synths double the tubas too much. As we all know, if the A Team remains in tact, this Newstar Scouts will be right in the mix in 2-3 years.

Spirit: Very exciting for their size and circumstance!

A truly enjoyable show, that BLEW BY. Yes, I like tubas. I only noticed Bloo's guard and Cavies guard. So shoot me.

Assuming you mean 2008?

yes on Phantom....but last years 2009 BD was not a taxing show " intellectually " either, imo. ( But I enjoyed it nonetheless for what it was... and for it's amazing levels of performance and the superb execution of the fundamentals of this activity, despite the overuse of some props, imo. )

Edited by BRASSO

yes on Phantom....but last years 2009 BD was not a taxing show " intellectually " either, imo. ( But I enjoyed it nonetheless for what it was... and for it's amazing levels of performance and the superb execution of the fundamentals of this activity )

True, but BD's show was almost absolutely perfect.