2010 Blue Devils "vs" 1991 Blue Devils....

true enough.. but 95 Madison Scouts fnished 4th in 1995... but is considered one of the most legendary entertainig shows of all time.

As for 1991 and 2010 BD comparisons, I think many of us are making the mistake of comparing a late June Corps show wiih another's August finalist show. That's a little unfair in my opinion. Most of the legendary Corps of all time were not selected off what they had in June of that year.... Many were only shells of themselves.... including as recently as 2008 with Phantom Regiment. Some legendary Corps shows of the past looked and sounded completely different in August than they did the end of June, 1st week of July in that year.

Talk to me after the end of the year, and then I'll compare the Finalist show of 1991 Blue Devils with the 2010 Finalist show of the Blue Devils. That's the only fair way to do this, imo.

opinion noted and granted. You are totally missing the boat and since you gave your opinion you said all there is to say for your part, right ?? Four pages to the contrary tells me otherwise and it has nothing to do wether its clean or not.....it has to do with the style and presentation, Based on that , I find them similar in many ways, as do others.

G

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are totally missing the boat and since you gave your opinion you said all there is to say for your part, right

G

Come again ? the legendary Corps of the past and present did not just " clean" their June show for August. If you think so, YOU are " missing the boat ", frankly. Some Corps have major, major rewrites of both musical and the visual.... all the way from the 1976 2nd place finishing Madison Scouts, up to, and including ,the 2008 Phantom Regiment. If you think that the " presentation " of the June 2008 Phantom Regiment show was the "presentation " of the August Finalist week Phantom Regiment show then you are simply way,.. WAY... wrong.

The connection to this thread is that none of us know if the August 2010 BD show will be what we've been looking at in late June, 1st week in July.come Finals. It might be. It might not be. When asked to compare things, it's good to compare the finished products, imo. In 1991 we KNOW what the finished product looked and sounded like to compare with other shows.. We can't say that with the same degree of assurance with this 2010 BD show ( nor ANY DCI Corps for that matter at this early stage) And that's my central point here.

Edited by BRASSO

I disagree - I thought the '91 show, while kind of funky in its approach, was pretty faithful to the source music, and had a quite "mainstream" flow to the program for the time. I think the 2010 show right now is almost like the THX logo - it sounds like chaos, but is on the cusp of resolving itself into something recognizable. Whether it does - or if they even *want* it to - will have to be seen.

I have pared my iPod playlist down to individual songs, rather than whole shows - '91 BD, though, is one of the few full shows I still have on there.

Mike

I stand by the "game-changing" tag I applied to this show earlier. It was, IMO, game-changing for the BRASS portion of the show (you know--the MOST IMPORTANT part :thumbdown: ). Those nice exposed soli parts throughout the show that feature each section--stuff like that made the rest of the field have to raise the difficulty level of what they were doing to keep up. Well, except for Star's mello line, maybe.

Hmm, you just can't compare them, IMO.

The '91 show was hard and fast and challenging but it was fairly faithful to the Sebesky and Kenton with musical development over time. It essentially breaks cleanly into three clear main sections.

The '10 style is that really mixed up, blenderized stuff that BD have been doing for a few years where there is little development, recognizable snatches come and go, begin and are interrupted and reappear for a fraction of a second only to immediately change key and so on.

I always wondered how that show would fare, note for note, with an improved drumline and a more "competent" guard...not taking anything away from the 91' guard, loved the "celebration of the female" aspect and everything but now that the guard score is factored in , I can only imagine the product on the field.

G

That drumine in 1991 was hurt mostly because of the winter and spring staff turmoil. They were great in 1990, but did not do well in the chaos of losing the Floats prior to the 1991 season. They had much more turn over than they should have and a lot of it came very last in the Spring with guys leaving for other coprs like Cadets and Blue Knights. I know they lost guys to those corps. They would likely have lost people to us at SCV but we hadalmost everyone return from 1990. At SCV we had somewhat of the opposite problem in that our horn line was very young. BD was obliterating us in Brass while we were scoring much higher in percussion. I was very close with BD (married now to a Devil from those years, in fact) and we often pondered what might have been if we had their hornline or if they had our drumline.

It could have been sick. That is the kind of "what if" question that is really fun to ponder. Like asking myself what I would do if I won the lottery.

Come again ? the legendary Corps of the past and present did not just " clean" their June show for August. If you think so, YOU are " missing the boat ", frankly. Some Corps have major, major rewrites of both musical and the visual.... all the way from the 1976 2nd place finishing Madison Scouts, up to, and including ,the 2008 Phantom Regiment. If you think that the " presentation " of the June 2008 Phantom Regiment show was the "presentation " of the August Finalist week Phantom Regiment show then you are simply way,.. WAY... wrong.

The connection to this thread is that none of us know if the August 2010 BD show will be what we've been looking at in late June, 1st week in July.come Finals. It might be. It might not be. When asked to compare things, it's good to compare the finished products, imo. In 1991 we KNOW what the finished product looked and sounded like to compare with other shows.. We can't say that with the same degree of assurance with this 2010 BD show ( nor ANY DCI Corps for that matter at this early stage) And that's my central point here.

I wasnt going to respond and just let you sit there and enjoy yourself but since I started the thread I'll elaborate, and I will not bother to respond to you after this.....Im not interested in the finished product, it hasnt arrived yet. How do you compare ?? Isnt it obvious to you that isnt in the equation ?? Pretty much to everyone else it is.......I - am - comparing - what - is on - the - filed - now, to, the Blue - Devils - 1991 - show...nothing more, nothing less...six pages of dialogue tells me folks "get it" .......LIke I said, you have stated your opinion ,dully noted, you can move on if you have nothing more to offer.

G

I wasnt going to respond and just let you sit there and enjoy yourself but since I started the thread I'll elaborate, and I will not bother to respond to you after this.....Im not interested in the finished product, it hasnt arrived yet. How do you compare ?? Isnt it obvious to you that isnt in the equation ?? Pretty much to everyone else it is.......I - am - comparing - what - is on - the - filed - now, to, the Blue - Devils - 1991 - show...nothing more, nothing less...six pages of dialogue tells me folks "get it" .......LIke I said, you have stated your opinion ,dully noted, you can move on if you have nothing more to offer.

G

This thread was in my rear view mirror late yesterday, as a matter of fact.

I stand by the "game-changing" tag I applied to this show earlier. It was, IMO, game-changing for the BRASS portion of the show (you know--the MOST IMPORTANT part :thumbdown: ). Those nice exposed soli parts throughout the show that feature each section--stuff like that made the rest of the field have to raise the difficulty level of what they were doing to keep up. Well, except for Star's mello line, maybe.

I agree to some point about the delivery of the book by the brass. It was fast, frantic, intense and constantly putting out notes and doing it with sound execution and consistency......I guess to prove your point, it would be interesting to look at sone bass lines after 91 and see where the influence might be.

G