2010 Blue Devils "vs" 1991 Blue Devils....

It would have been CBC or BD, not Star! :thumbup:

Totally agreed.......overall, I cant tell you about Star and tjeir midwest encounters except for what I was told or read, but garfiled in 1991 was thrown under the bus for that show, their OTL, the picninc scenes in the guard and the "Preluge, fugues, and riffs..." Folks as a whole hated it.......I thought they were great but ddidnt appreciate it until second half of the season, and thank God, I got to see it enought imes to really enjoy it, them BD, and Crossmen that year.......a great year.

G

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post ! Agree with it all. I liked SS'ds version but it left a bad taste for me because of the guards lack of contribution. THey sounded excellent but the "total package" was missing....I liked Freelancers version and Garfield's verion(s) better......

Yes, in may ways, I feel this show is like 1991. I remember Allentown when Crossmen beat the fir the first time, for them. all four corps were excellent and it was rare to (then) see BD in third and Garfield in fourth.......Folks were complaining about how BD's music was unfriendly, unable tpo grasp...etc,etc......I remember the ballad right after "commencement" it just gave me goosebumps because it remined me of, for some reason, 1982 and sounded so sweet and layered with dynamics and contrasy.......Just unreal.

G

You're right, SS's guard didn't contribute as much as they could have in that '86 show.

Okay, now I need to go look at '82 again and other versions of Adventures in Time to see how I like those takes on that piece.

Corpsreps, here I come!

1975 Freelancers Commencement (from Adventures in Time) Richards, Johnny

1976 Black Knights Commencement (from Adventures in Time) Richards, Johnny

1976 Freelancers Commencement (from Adventures in Time) Richards, Johnny

1977 Freelancers Adventures in Time Richards, Johnny

1981 The Cadets Commencement (from Adventures in Time)

1995 Blue Devils Commencement (from Adventures in Time) Richards, Johnny

With the constant complaining and disatisfaction of the 2010 Blue Devils Musical arrangements, it got me wondering. What if we had DCP and the interent in 1991 ?? This years show, music - wise, reminds me alot of the 1991 show and many, many folks ripped that show a new one complaining about the arrangement and music style.

Flashforward to 2010 and again, people are complaining about the arrangements, the phrasing, lack of melody, etc of the show they have now and it feels like the same thing to me.

Would there be as much complaints if we were able to come to someplace like DCP in 1991 ???

Which show is more/least "fan friendly"? And why .....

G

I know this is not your issue G, and my response is not to you, but a general comment:

One would first need to accept the premise that there's constant complaining about BD's 2010 musical book. What is constant? A few dozen schmutz's on DCP? A couple of tweeters with reviews from the stands? Big deal! There are many out here who love the music (same goes for all of their recent music).

Some of us who were around and heard Stan Kenton live know where Wayne is going with this chart.. it's the perfect vehicle for what they're doing visually. It's not going to be Simple Gifts and a company front!! Look elsewhere! Don't try to change Wayne, find what your looking for in 22 other corps, it's OK. In some ways these criticisms are like walking up to Charlie Parker after a show and telling him, "you're good, but you need to play more melodies, settle into somethin' we know or can follow! Really...work on it!" :tongue: It's about frame of reference.

IMO ultimately this isn't really about the music at all....I suggest that "some" folks will always complain about the top contender. They'll find some way to break them down, break their momentum, break their "competitive inertia" ($1 to Bruckner8... I think). Last year it was the chairs, but a funny thing, many who riduculed BD last year right up to and just after finals, now say, "For the record, I actually like their show last year, but this year.........!" They look for a weak link (or percieved weak link), and jump on it together, hoping for hope that someone will listen and somehow effect the outcome. It hasn't worked for 4 years, and won't work this year either, but it's amusing to watch. Although a bit tiring.

Finally, I believe (don't know for sure) but believe that the closer will evolve into a more powerful statement. It always does after Atlanta. If it means more La Suerta, all the better, but it will be what it is and it will rock the house.....forcing the usual "hand sitters" to twitch! :thumbup:

So, is there anything remotely related to 1991 in that diatribe?

Unless I miss my guess, I don't think "don't try to change BD" is the impetus behind G starting this thread; it's a compare and contrast of 1991 v. 2010 regarding the usage of Kenton and/or modern jazz. For frame of reference, Plan9, take a look at it (1991) on Fan Network and see how they line up against each other.

Let's not derail another BD thread prematurely.

So, is there anything remotely related to 1991 in that diatribe?

Unless I miss my guess, I don't think "don't try to change BD" is the impetus behind G starting this thread; it's a compare and contrast of 1991 v. 2010 regarding the usage of Kenton and/or modern jazz. For frame of reference, Plan9, take a look at it (1991) on Fan Network and see how they line up against each other.

Let's not derail another BD thread prematurely.

Relax, Bawker..it's just a general comment..like I said. And your comment is both demeaning and unnecessary...diatribe???

Delete it.....you can!

Relax, Bawker..it's just a general comment..like I said. And your comment is both demeaning and unnecessary...diatribe???

Delete it.....you can!

We all know that you're a #1 BD fan, I would actually like to see a post from you comparing 1991 to 2010. :thumbup:

You can do it, and it would make your post relevant to this thread. :tongue:

I always wondered how that show would fare, note for note, with an improved drumline and a more "competent" guard...not taking anything away from the 91' guard, loved the "celebration of the female" aspect and everything but now that the guard score is factored in , I can only imagine the product on the field.

G

Honestly, I thought 91 BD was a kickbutt show. Melody? There was plenty of melody ( as it pertained to the source material). I think the difference in arranging style was met with the shift of pushing out Float in order to get away from the rudimental drumming and head in a more symphonic approach. The past statement is all rumor (one that was floated heavily during the 1991 season and the effect I got from it was a sub par drum line with shoddy writing). This, for me, is was truly hurt BD that year and in the years to come until they solidified the staff and the percussion arranger found their stride.

I much preferred the work of Tom Float, but I'm not sure what type of product would have come out of 1991 had he still been the arranger/caption head. It was also a bit of a bridge year for Downey from his "old style" of arranging (which kicked holy butt) ... into his present day style of arranging (meh). The pit had alot more to do with the overall show in 1991 .... and for me it just didn't work. The brass book was nuts. THe battery was dirty .. and the pit kinda bit it. Other than that, I had no complaints with the show. I just thought the overall product in design was down a notch from what we had come to expect of BD ........ and the execution just wasn't there (afterall .. Floats percussion sections won how many trophies while he was there?).

Delete it.....you can!

Okay, let's call it a "missive", then. :smile:

Point is, there's got to be some sort of balancing point between fair minded criticism of BD versus taking everything as some sort of attack against the organization for its successes, 'cause that's what every BD thread lately has turned into.

Constructive criticism and analysis (re: this thread) is how we find out about opposing viewpoints, and is the very basis of how the Blue Devils and other corps are judged. No one is trying to beat the current product down in this thread.

Therefore, if G is going to couch BD 2010 in a legitimate, compare/contrast kind of thread versus 1991, it's not meant to be a soapbox for our own issues with BD fans, BD haters or others. We've got a ton of threads for that already.

I think there's some validity in comparing the current product to 1991; a lot of us here saw that show live, and can draw the parallels between the shows, for better or worse.

My only point, again, is to not make this "us v. them" here. We're all on the same "drum corps" team here.

For reals. :lol: