Carolina Crown getting a little sloppy...

...well when it's OUR ###es our there marching in 112 degree weather, you're darn skippy it's about "WE" not ME b/c believe it or not we're still a family.

And I'm sorry but I HIGHLY doubt mediocrity is EVEN a part of corps' language these days.

Hate to say it but we've come quite a long ways from....well VFW :) no disrespect but this is how WE do it now, respect it or....

GOLDEN RULE: (it never gets old) If you don't have anything nice to say (or positive) then...SHUT THE F*#@ UP!!!!!!!!

LOL, the funny thing is, we are more a like then you will ever know... just becuase the shows look different, and sound different, don't think the approach was different. And yes, based on that video, mediocrity is all over the place. LOL Golden rule be ######...

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't get it, but that's ok.

I'm not that far removed (cusp of GenX and GenY) from the age of those marching today, but I definitely don't share their values of "well, it really doesn't matter how we look because it's not that important of an event."

It's just a cop-out in my opinion to have that view...LAZY even. I have more respect for those marching their ##### off while it's 110F. The whole reason I was drawn to drum corps in the first place 21 years ago was because of the pursuit of perfection at ALL times.

If you're not going to do it right...don't do it at all.

Edited by chaos001

Well if this is a problem (even though its only ONE day out of the whole season) Why do people not go on about what the Cavaliers do during Retreat on Finals night

Edited by ohwiseone

I'm not that far removed from the age of those marching today (cusp of GenX and GenY), but I definitely don't share their values of "well, it really doesn't matter how we look because it's not that important of an event."

It's just a cop-out in my opinion to have that view...LAZY even. I have more respect for those marching their ##### off while it's 110F. The whole reason I was drawn to drum corps in the first place 21 years ago was because of the pursuit of perfection at ALL times.

It's refreshing to see that someone gets it...

Corps members SHOULD have fun in parades. They SHOULD entertain the crowd. Music other than Sousa marches is A-OK.

All of that can be achieved without throwing performance quality out the window.

Edited by ChiBoyinLA

Well if this is a problem (even though its only ONE day out of the whole season) Why do people not go on about what the Cavaliers do during Retreat on Finals night

LOL! Threads complaining about the Cavaliers' retreat decorum pop up here every year.

Edited by ChiBoyinLA

Threads complaining about the Cavaliers' retreat decorum pop up here every year.

oh well then blame that mistake on me, My Bad.

Look, honestly July 4th was 3 days ago, the parades are over, and we have beat the crap out of this dead horse of a topic, and were now just dragging it up and down a football field. We have two very distinct sides, some people (like me and few other's) enjoy what they did. Its a parade they were playing Madonna, they were having a good time on a hot day with a bunch of people up and down a street, and there are others who think its disrespectful.

Can't we all just let this topic die. I mean really all everyone is doing now is just stupid arguing over people's OPINION.

but then again...this is DCP

Edited by ohwiseone

OK so I have been very quiet on the forums of late, but I need to chime in from a bit of a different perspective:

When I was involved in hiring the musical acts for a parade (marching bands, drum corps Jr. Sr. Alumni, pipe bands etc...) we would ask for promotional material from groups, we would advertise them, show off what they gave us, pay very, very good money to them, I had a similar situation happen with a band, we hired them from the material they gave us, very polished very professional all high school aged, then when they do the parade, they are in half uniforms (All their literature bragged about their "New" uniforms and how amazing they looked) how many awards they had one, how they were much more mature then their ages (high school) anyways they strolled through the parade, barely played were trying to be laid back, after all was said and done I contacted the director to explain my dissappointment as they never stated anywhere about their "new image" the director did not get what I was saying so I started quoting his own bands promo info about music, uniforms etc.... he explained it wasn't judged and the kids needed to relax a bit, I have no problem with that but based on on the information we were given THAT WAS NEVER STATED, so I still gave them a cheque for several thousand dollars, and then had to explain to the committee why we paid for a group that did not live up to their own description. The point is I get it is only a parade but, is this the image they send out in their promo package? Is this what the persons paying them to be there knew they were getting? We always tried to hire the best possible available groups and a variety of military style, more laid back, bands on floats, small bands and large bands (and corps) to say it was a dissappointment is an understatement. Some people on here say it is only a parade, and if the event organizers and ultimately the crowd think that they got their money's worth then that's great, but when you hire a DCI world Class top corps their is an expectation, after all when I hired groups that was exactly why we hired them, because they were the best of the best.

A very wise drum corps man once said (many times to his corps, and was passed down to me from one of his students) to paraphrase If you do not have class off the field, you can not have class on the field, the falseness of your attitude and actions will show through, not always but inevitably the one time and one place you do not wish it to happen.

Ultimately not a great portrayl of Carolina Crown in my opinion, but it is their decision, so who am I to say whether it was right or wrong?

Crown usually does a lot of the same parades every year (many corps do)... many of them probably new what to expect from them.

oh well then blame that mistake on me, My Bad.

Look, honestly July 4th was 3 days ago, the parades are over, and we have beat the crap out of this dead horse of a topic, and were now just dragging it up and down a football field. We have two very distinct sides, some people (like me and few other's) enjoy what they did. Its a parade they were playing Madonna, they were having a good time on a hot day with a bunch of people up and down a street, and there are others who think its disrespectful.

Can't we all just let this topic die. I mean really all everyone is doing now is just stupid arguing over people's OPINION.

but then again...this is DCP

But, oh Great Wise One, isn't that what a forum is about? Meaningless, time wasting, thoughts from a lot of passionate people with nothing better to do? :thumbdown:

Those of you bashing Crown for being entertaining are the ones destined to kill Drum Corps. It's Crown that is winning fans over and selling more t-shirts. It's also the reason they happened to win the best corps in the Wakefield parade. If you would have been at the parades and seen the reaction for Crown verses the other corps you would see that Crown is the one's winning over the fans. Who cares if they don't stay in straight lines and put their nose in the air and march past everyone. They reach to the crowd. I watched every corps at the Wakefield parade and no one was entertaining except Crown.