Carolina Crown getting a little sloppy...

I understand that...but from a competitive standpoint, does it make a difference? No...

I agree that corps should look professional, but if it was 100 degrees, at a parade, where the crowd OBVIOUSLY enjoyed it, does it really matter? You could look at this from 2 different standpoints. But honestly, this isn't anything to get in a huge argument about. Like I said, come Finals...this won't effect the scores...and even IF the judges went to this parade for some random reason, they wouldn't consider it in their scores.

And let me clarify...a judge shouldn't be at a parade, unless he just wants to be. I just said that to prove my point.

But some of us are looking at this from a different POV. Let's not forget that corps have to think about things other than that almighty score. In this case CC had the opportunity to present DC to people who know nothing about corps. Don't know the particulars about when this was taken but feel more sorry for the corps members if they take a look at this. For all the hard work and heat it does make them look less talented than we know they are.

And as background, did a couple of parades this Holiday in the Baltimore heat and ended up taking yesterday off to recover. And caught a picture with me out of phase with my marching at one point(####!!!!!).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...it's post like these that make me HATE the "I marched back in 1910 and we did it THIS way, so if you want me to like you, or buy your stuff, it has to be THIS certain way"

I'll just say it, the youth of the activity is getting pretty fed up with it.

Don't like us, we don't care!!!!!!

We're not out there sweating our butts off for EVERYONE to like us! We're out there because WE have pride in what we're doing. We're out there because we're PROUD of ourselves, and maybe what we're doing we think is the way it SHOULD be done. NOT what you think, NOT what you did back when you march, but what we're doing NOW.

Like it or dont, pay to see it or dont.

Golden Rule: If you can't say anything nice...then SHUT THE F&@# UP.

:) God Bless You Everyone.

Paid for by the committee to improve relations between DCI corps and the general public. :thumbdown:

PS - Saw Teal warm up at another hot-###ed Balitmore parade last year. IIRC, no tops but wore rest of uni and attitude like they were at a competition. Just throwing that in as a comparision and/or to show how other DCI corps handle the parades.

Count me as one that agrees with both sides, though I feel that some that are looking down on this are being a bit too harsh. I'm a huge fan of Crown (they won me over in 2003 with Bellisimo) and after seeing the video, it is a little disappointing. However, this was only under 2 minutes of the parade. We have no idea what the rest of the parade was like without seeing it for ourselves. I would guess given how thin the crowd looked at that point it was somewhere very close to the end.

Edited by chadwick

I'm not trying to defend CC, but in all fairness there's a big difference between a parade and a show, not the least of which is the audience. At a parade most spectators wouldn't know a top 3 corps if it jumped up and bit them on the butt. Just look at this thread. WE may have noticed it but the average person standing on the sidewalk and munching on an ice cream cone was probably completely oblivious to it. That's not an excuse, just a reality.

I'm not trying to defend CC, but in all fairness there's a big difference between a parade and a show, not the least of which is the audience. At a parade most spectators wouldn't know a top 3 corps if it jumped up and bit them on the butt. Just look at this thread. WE may have noticed it but the average person standing on the sidewalk and munching on an ice cream cone was probably completely oblivious to it. That's not an excuse, just a reality.

true but now people will look at that and think thats what a drum corps is plus they paid for a top corps and only got portion of one

Edited by gigiandjim

I think my biggest issue, which really isn't that big of a deal to me to begin with, is the consistency. If you're gonna be relaxed, let's all be relaxed. Not have some members taking it seriously and others not. I was taught that in high school that we weren't necessarily a marching band, so much as we were a marching UNIT.

Semantics, sure. But the idea being that we all work and act as one.

Out of curiousity, have any of you who are upset about this sent a note to Carolina Crown? I'm sure they would be happy to respond to your concerns. Its one thing to vent on a forum, but if you are truly upset about what you saw, you should send them a note to express this.

Fortunately they did not march with a DCI flag proclaiming " Marching Music's Major League"!