2010 DCI Ratings

Score counters drive me crazy because the competitive aspect of it is all relative.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can The Glassmen in 12th place in your poll REALLY be closer to the Santa Clara Vanguard, than Santa Clara Vanguard is to the top 3 Corps in this poll ?

Something tells me....... " not in your life ".

That's why this poll is so beneficial in that it illustrates the folly of trying to compare scores from 2000 miles away between different corps, on different nights, with different judging panels.

Thanks for that, wesleyrp.

Yes this comparison has its flaws but we all all desparate for anything at this point to see how our corps fairs with the others. I wouldn't be surprised though if SCV is closer to Glassmen than the top 3. Would that be so terrible? Is it possible the "boring" Glassmen are better this year than last and SCV not as good? It will be fun to watch .... and see. wesley is just glad BK cracked 81. Congrats BK.

Score counters drive me crazy because the competitive aspect of it is all relative.

You probably shouldn't click on a thread called "Latest Rankings by Scores" then because there are probably going to be people who are interested in scores in said thread.

You probably shouldn't click on a thread called "Latest Rankings by Scores" then because there are probably going to be people who are interested in scores in said thread.

Just putting in my two cents for whatever it's worth, which is probably not much. :thumbup:

Yes this comparison has its flaws but we all all desparate for anything at this point to see how our corps fairs with the others. I wouldn't be surprised though if SCV is closer to Glassmen than the top 3. Would that be so terrible? Is it possible the "boring" Glassmen are better this year than last and SCV not as good? It will be fun to watch .... and see. wesley is just glad BK cracked 81. Congrats BK.

BK breaking 80 last night is good to see. The fact they are doing so with an accessible show...even better, imo.

Can The Glassmen in 12th place in your poll REALLY be closer to the Santa Clara Vanguard, than Santa Clara Vanguard is to the top 3 Corps in this poll ?

That's why this poll is so beneficial in that it illustrates the folly of trying to compare scores from 2000 miles away between different corps, on different nights, with different judging panels.

You're welcome! :thumbup: Hey I don't hang my hat on any of these scoring polls, but DCI historically has done it by raw score as well. When DCI.org has done their ranking polls in the past it's been done from current score perspective. When the Drum Corps World Magazine would publish scores they'd make it so that you could compare the scores from various locales, just saying. With that said, I don't put a ton of stock in it until they all meet. But I wil say this, is SCV being 10th a fluke or a result of getting their show together late? Is BK breaking an 81 a fluke, or are those same judges ones that have judged BD and SCV and have put them where they belong? I don't know truly where BK stands against SCV but we will know better tonight. BK has never beaten the Vanguard and while some may say impossible, much was the talk of the chat sites in '98. Then, we(BK) were scoring pretty well in the early part of the season, but people were saying that we hadn't seen anyone and that it was a fluke. We pulled into LaPorte, IN for the show that night and our first matchup with Phantom Regiment and we knew we had a shot, though I don't think that many in the stadium thought as much. I still remember the 2000 or so people in the audience GASPING when they announce BK over Phantom that night. Is this year kinda the same? We'll see, I know this much, BK is going to be very good and anything is possible.

As for Glassmen being closer to SCV than to the top 3 corps.... Has it crossed anyone's mind that SCV may not be a title contender this year???? I'm just saying. Glassmen didn't give SCV a 80.7, the judges did. We'll get a better look at where they are tonight and through this weekend. I do think the other question you could ask is Madison and Glassmen really only 6-7 points away from 1st place? Used to be 9th place would get 10 pointed even early on in the season. Or perhaps the levels of the corps are getting closer and closer and G7 is quite as dominant as people think, just saying. It's a fun season to speculate and that's all we can do... Have fun with it, drink a cold one and appreciate the fact that so many corps are doing so great this summer. A Truly special season!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Double Post.... wah wah

Edited by wesleyrp

I've always felt that to really come up with a realistic view of how the corps stand to date you need to compare spreads from last time corps competed against each other and then adjusted for current scores. I've been using this method for the past 20 years and it always seems once corps who hadn't seen each other finally meet the spread between them is pretty close to what I had calculated.

So with out further ado, here's my spread rankings based on latest spread and current score.

1 Crown 84.91

2 Cadets 84.89

3 Blue Devils 84.80

4 Bluecoats 84.08

5 Cavaliers 82.74

6 Phantom 82.21

7 Boston 81.53

8 Santa Clara 81.04

9 Blue Stars 80.78

10 Blue Knights 79.38

11 Madison 77.08

12 Glassmen 77.04

13 Academy 74.46

14 Spirit 73.59

15 Crossmen 73.49

16 Colts 72.82

17 Troopers 72.68

18 Pacific Crest 70.57

19 Teal Sound 69.62

20 Jersey Surf 68.94

21 Mandarins 68.78

22 Pioneer 67.72

23 Cascades 66.70

You're welcome! :thumbup: Hey I don't hang my hat on any of these scoring polls, but DCI historically has done it by raw score as well. When DCI.org has done their ranking polls in the past it's been done from current score perspective. When the Drum Corps World Magazine would publish scores they'd make it so that you could compare the scores from various locales, just saying. With that said, I don't put a ton of stock in it until they all meet. But I wil say this, is SCV being 10th a fluke or a result of getting their show together late? Is BK breaking an 81 a fluke, or are those same judges ones that have judged BD and SCV and have put them where they belong? I don't know truly where BK stands against SCV but we will know better tonight. BK has never beaten the Vanguard and while some may say impossible, much was the talk of the chat sites in '98. Then, we(BK) were scoring pretty well in the early part of the season, but people were saying that we hadn't seen anyone and that it was a fluke. We pulled into LaPorte, IN for the show that night and our first matchup with Phantom Regiment and we knew we had a shot, though I don't think that many in the stadium thought as much. I still remember the 2000 or so people in the audience GASPING when they announce BK over Phantom that night. Is this year kinda the same? We'll see, I know this much, BK is going to be very good and anything is possible.

As for Glassmen being closer to SCV than to the top 3 corps.... Has it crossed anyone's mind that SCV may not be a title contender this year???? I'm just saying. Glassmen didn't give SCV a 80.7, the judges did. We'll get a better look at where they are tonight and through this weekend. I do think the other question you could ask is Madison and Glassmen really only 6-7 points away from 1st place? Used to be 9th place would get 10 pointed even early on in the season. Or perhaps the levels of the corps are getting closer and closer and G7 is quite as dominant as people think, just saying. It's a fun season to speculate and that's all we can do... Have fun with it, drink a cold one and appreciate the fact that so many corps are doing so great this summer. A Truly special season!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

I'd say that SCV 's score reflects the fact that they are being judged against an undefeated Corps in many of these shows. Then again, we'll have an opportunity to see if Blue Knights are still ranked ahead of SCV when the two go head to head once again over the next few nights. Maybe Blue Knights this year are better than SCV. I don't think so, but you could be right on the money with your rankings too. We'll see in the head to head match ups and especially when we get to the regionals. Right now, I agree that there is little separation from what we've seen in the early season judged shows so far.

Edited by BRASSO