Carolina Crown down to 7 snares

Star of Indiana won the DCI title with only 5 snares so it's only a mind thing the brass instructors can adjust dynamics as

needed to compensate the lack of snares . Hey ----- wait a minute put microphones on the snares , problem solved ! :smile:

Actually, Star had 5 snares in 90...we won the title that year. Star won in 91 with 8 or 9...I don't remember which.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star of Indiana won the DCI title with only 5 snares so it's only a mind thing the brass instructors can adjust dynamics as

needed to compensate the lack of snares . Hey ----- wait a minute put microphones on the snares , problem solved ! :smile:

Star of Indiana won their title with seven snares.

IMO, you can win and be competitive at the highest levels with 7 snares, but no less. They better wrap those remaining snare players in bubble wrap or something after every rehearsal. If another one goes down, they'll be in serious trouble.

Star of Indiana won their title with seven snares.

IMO, you can win and be competitive at the highest levels with 7 snares, but no less. They better wrap those remaining snare players in bubble wrap or something after every rehearsal. If another one goes down, they'll be in serious trouble.

This post perfectly coincides with your username. Not sure why I even noticed that.

CC might have another percussionist from the quad/front lines practicing already. What would bother me, is that their visuals/GE type scores should go down because of the holes. But, in this PC, "don't worry that you got the wrong math/english composition answer wrong, I'll give you some credit" world we live in, the judges will ignore those blanks like they did with Phantom in 89. Most corps have an extra body or two. Put them in a sling and learn the drill.

BIG OOOPPPSS: My bad folks. It was SCV in 89, playing Phantom of The Opera, with the overage UK members, not PR.

Edited by Ghost

RE: Star's 5 snares... don't forget that they were playing on Mylar (plastic) heads versus playing with Kevlar heads. The Mylar heads naturally project a lot more than the Kevlar heads.

I KNEW something was up when I started seeing those scores flip flop. And my suspicions proved right. The way Beddis has them play out there is not good for any of their health. I have a friend who marched quads there in 08 and after the summer he had to wear a hand brace. He mentioned to me that towards the middle of the summer, when they would warm up in the morning, by the end of 8s his hands would be numb........that is NOT the way it's supposed to be. Playing should feel natural.

All I can say is that I'm not surprised at this one bit

Not knowing ANY slightest thing about percussion, I've heard that Crown's percussion is their Achilles heel this year, and that it's just dirty.

Seems to be like having a few less snares will clean it up, no?

Sorry if this is an amateur comment!

I KNEW something was up when I started seeing those scores flip flop. And my suspicions proved right. The way Beddis has them play out there is not good for any of their health. I have a friend who marched quads there in 08 and after the summer he had to wear a hand brace. He mentioned to me that towards the middle of the summer, when they would warm up in the morning, by the end of 8s his hands would be numb........that is NOT the way it's supposed to be. Playing should feel natural.

All I can say is that I'm not surprised at this one bit

I've heard similar things regarding JD Shaw's "Brass Boot Camp" and the Emmert brothers' visual teachings... :smile:

Ashley is awesome, when she started marching with the Raiders, we knew she was going to be center snare somewhere as she developed more an more into a better musician...I remember when she was not called back by the Cadets, how determined she was to be in a top drumline and how much she wanted to be the best she could be. Hopefully with some time off, this injury will heal and she can return to the field.

Does Ashely have more years to march?

Ashley is awesome, when she started marching with the Raiders, we knew she was going to be center snare somewhere as she developed more an more into a better musician...I remember when she was not called back by the Cadets, how determined she was to be in a top drumline and how much she wanted to be the best she could be. Hopefully with some time off, this injury will heal and she can return to the field.