Standing O's?

1983 Bridgemen, AFTER the drum solo...lasted about a minute and a half...DURING THEIR SHOW!!!

1983 in Second place....The Blue Devils....place went nuts

1992 I NEVER heard Brandt Crocker say "THE CAVALIERS". the crows was DEAFENING from where I was standing...(in a question mark, on the field)

1983 Troopers (25th anniversary show) DCI Midwest

I saw many of the ones mentioned, but Troopers at Whitewater was the longest I experienced. Loudest too, didn't hear any music until the corps hit center field.

Should probably mention Vanguard 82 in Montreal as well.

Regards,

John

It was1970 Racine and we were at the home of the 2 time defending champion Kiltes. About six measures into our opener the crowd rose and started going crazy. They stayed on their feet until we stopped for concert. By the time we were halfway through concert the crowd was once again on their feet. They didn’t sit down until after our show was over and we had left the field. When we finished our last note the PA announcer started yelling, “Wonderful show…wonderful show…the Santa Clara Vanguard!” That was the night Santa Clara became THE Vanguard!

There is no video, but Fleetwood recorded the show. If you listen closely you can hear the roar of the crowd over the music in the softer sections.

• Like 1

Okay guys, so I just finished up watching Suncoast's Vietnam show (still one of my favorites),

My wife was a guard member that year and she still talks about how they felt not just that moment on the field, but the entire year in respect to the whole show. She also talks about when they performed on the memorial wall when they toured through DC.

That years horn book is one of the many reasons why Robert Smith is being inducted into the HOF this year.

My wife was a guard member that year and she still talks about how they felt not just that moment on the field, but the entire year in respect to the whole show. She also talks about when they performed on the memorial wall when they toured through DC.

That years horn book is one of the many reasons why Robert Smith is being inducted into the HOF this year.

Does she still have her MIA bracelet...or did the guard not have those?

This wasn't the "longest" standing o I have seen, but it was at the same time one of the most appreciated AND most awkward standing O's I have seen/been a part of. In 1982, Madison was simply entering the field area to get staged for coming on to the field. There was another corps on the field STILL PERFORMING their show, and the crowd started to applaud and rise to their feet. UGH. So appreciated, and yet I remember specifically Todd (our "center snare") commenting: "Oh that's bad and rude to those guys out there!" We just stopped where we were instead of continuing out through the gate. The fans were yelling at the announcer to just skip the introduction and let us start... again so amazingly appreciated and awesome, but really awkward for us, too. The stands were REALLY close to the field, and we could see people just standing up and pumping their fists in the air and yelling as we opened with "Slaughter..." At that time it was just "BYBO" so it was pretty cool... many of those people standing simply never sat down... just stayed standing.

Of course... I wasn't looking at the crowd or anything... I know we weren't supposed to do that. :tongue:

Probably one of the longest standing O's I ever saw was SCV in 1982 (as well) after the Bottle Dance, and the Bridgemen when they all "fainted" in '76.

Probably one of the longest standing O's I ever saw was SCV in 1982 (as well) after the Bottle Dance, and the Bridgemen when they all "fainted" in '76.

Didn't see the Vanguard one in person, but did see the Bridgemen one in 1976. You can hear it on the recording.....big ovation when the show finishes, which becomes a HUGE ovation after the corps "faints."

One that sticks in my memory was the 1982 show in Bayonne, NJ.... the long, thunderous standing ovation for the Blue Devils after they absolutely tore the place apart that night.

A DCA standing "O" memory I'll never forget is the crowd at Madison Square Garden in NYC going absolutely crazy for the Rhode Island Matadors at the show there in 1977.

(The DCA show was a full field show on the arena floor, with the corps' drills altered a bit to fit the size of the floor, on a Friday night in June... in front of a huge crowd at the Garden.)

The Matadors came out smokin' that night, and their concert of Malaguena drew a big standing ovation.... but that was just the tip of the iceberg. When the Mats began their "Theme From Rocky" closer, with that familiar opening fanfare, the place went absolutely ballistic..... to the point where you literally could not hear the corps playing for a time. Everyone in the house (including us in the other competing corps that night) was on their feet from there until the end of the Matadors' performance, and beyond. Absolutely electrifying.

Edited by Fran Haring

The 84 Suncoast standing O was really long, but what I remember was how it just kept getting louder and louder and louder until Bobby finally started the closer. Then they got to the V7 chord fermata before the final segment! What a great show! Some great drum corps names with that corps, Robert Smith, Frank Williams, Andy Poor, Randy Blackburn (current Teal Sound director), Bob Barfield, Kevin Ford...