Standing O's?

Longest one I can remember in person was DCI prelims 1979 Birmingham. Troopers went on right before intermission and the standing O kept going..and going.

This is a legendary moment that is carried forward in stories from the drum major, John Masterson, as well as the leadership at Troopers. The current edition of Troopers isn't living in the past, but they are surely connected to it.

I know these are not historical, but I think they deserve mention here: 2008 Championships at the end of Phantom's show as well as when the 2nd place score was announced that night. The place went absolutely NUTS from what I can hear on recordings and see on video clips. I wish I could have been there in person!

2009 when Troop entered the finals field - it may not be the longest ever experienced, but it was fairly long and so incredibly genuine. The kids were blown away. (Also, there are some Troop tunnel stories from both semi's and finals night that are a testament to the fraternal nature of this activity. No matter how much some of us may miss the performances of yesteryear, I guarantee you these kids are full of respect for this activity and for each other.)

It was1970 Racine and we were at the home of the 2 time defending champion Kiltes. About six measures into our opener the crowd rose and started going crazy. They stayed on their feet until we stopped for concert. By the time we were halfway through concert the crowd was once again on their feet. They didn’t sit down until after our show was over and we had left the field. When we finished our last note the PA announcer started yelling, “Wonderful show…wonderful show…the Santa Clara Vanguard!” That was the night Santa Clara became THE Vanguard!

There is no video, but Fleetwood recorded the show. If you listen closely you can hear the roar of the crowd over the music in the softer sections.

God YES! How could I forget. But my previous post was thinking as a fan as opposed to a performer. As for when we became THE Vanguard perhaps it was Racine to the fans. But to me as a marching member it was a week earlier at AL state in Sacramento.

Dennis

P.S. Thank you Capitolaires!

Edited by ozarkbugler

Madison Scouts 1975 CYO Nationals

As a marching member this has to be the best crowd response I remember as a Scout (and there are A LOT to choose from).

Not only after the show but during the show and even as we walked onto the field while our competition was performing.

Fran, I remember the Bayonne show from 82.We hung out with BD after the show,and there was even a minor brawl with a townie.

As for the op,the 1st time the Bridgemen played the Civil War suite in Alabama elicited major applause.

When Garfield did the dissappearing reappearing company front in 87 the crowd went nutty(and the announcer even thought the show was over in prelims)

SCV, Great Gate of Kiev push(simultaneously with the magic trick).

The big push in Phantom of the Opera(88-89)

Bridgemen alum,DCI east any of the last 4-5 years.

I wasn't there but I heard that the ovation for the Cavalier Step-over w/hesitation in Monreal in '81 was pretty loud and long.

2009 when Troop entered the finals field - it may not be the longest ever experienced, but it was fairly long and so incredibly genuine. The kids were blown away. (Also, there are some Troop tunnel stories from both semi's and finals night that are a testament to the fraternal nature of this activity. No matter how much some of us may miss the performances of yesteryear, I guarantee you these kids are full of respect for this activity and for each other.)

Great story, Terri. Definitely one aspect of the drum corps experience that has not changed, and hopefully never will.

Well, maybe not the longest but the MOST I remember. SCV '73 at Osh Kosh WI. Five standing "Os" throughout the show. I started counting after the first two, I was so dumbfounded. I confirmed this number with my friend after we got off the field. It was truly a memorable moment of many that year.

Well, maybe not the longest but the MOST I remember. SCV '73 at Osh Kosh WI. Five standing "Os" throughout the show. I started counting after the first two, I was so dumbfounded. I confirmed this number with my friend after we got off the field. It was truly a memorable moment of many that year.

Wisconsin folk really did love their Drum Corps! Military precision, pomp and pageantry, pulse-pounding percussion and skin-blistering brass!

27th Lancers-Foxboro,Ma-1994 Finals

One of my favorite all time performances. The crowd was wild. It was either 9 or 11 seperate standing ovations they received.And yes I actually counted because I was so impressed with 27 and the crowds reaction.

They went on after the Blue Devils who's show My Spanish Heart was outstanding.As great as BD was that night it was 27 who was the crowd's favorite. I consider it one of the greatest moments in Drum Corps history.

This is the one. It's hard to imagine a longer, more sustained standing ovation in DCI performance history than this one.

Edited by BRASSO

"Standing O's":

Too many to remember, going all the way back to the 1950's. One of the longest bouts of BOOOOING I ever heard was at the 1966 "Dream", where Blessed Sacrament upset the Chicago Cavaliers. :tongue: Pretty good lineup that afternoon, with Troopers in third followed by St Lucy's, Kilties and Chicago Royal Airs.

Elphaba

I was there too. The difference was a different set of judges for the Dream (East Coast Judges Assoc) and the VFW Judges for the "Pageant".

-Bill