Yankee Rebels

Upsetting news indeed. The Rebels were always a tough opponent back in my competing days, and they have been wonderful friends in our 'alumni era.'

Sad to see a corps disappear from the scene, but most of us fear all of the alumni corps ultimately will be facing similar tough times. We are all getting older. Parades are difficult for many of us, and impossible for some. The desire to perform is still strong, but once our generation simply cannot march and perform any longer, who will replace us? Unfortunately, we don't see a substantial influx from the 'newer generation' of corps members. After all, it has been our memories of our era that we celebrate and re-create, not theirs.

This has to be a very tough decision, but I understand and respect their desire not to continue. Gus said it all: "We have a proud history and we didn't want to tarnish it with any sub standard performances." We all know exactly what that pride in your corps is all about.

To Gus, John and Barbara Flowers, Skee Derr and all the other members of the Rebels: Thank you, gentlemen and ladies for many years of entertainment. I salute you all.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad news indeed.

Thank you, Y-R, for all the years of entertainment. We will miss having you at Spring Preview and we will miss seeing you at other performances.

To Gus, John and Barbara Flowers, Skee Derr and all the other members of the Rebels: Thank you, gentlemen and ladies for many years of entertainment. I salute you all.

Thanks John.

What this means is that the Yankee Rebels Drum and Bugle Corps will give its final performance on Saturday, August 14, 2010 at the Reilly Raiders Show. After 22 years of performing we're just getting too old and too tired to continue. We just couldn't get the membership to commit to parades and shows. So it was decided that rather then trying to struggle any further with poor personnel showings, that we would call it quits after the Shamrock Festival. We have a proud history and we didn't want to tarnish it with any sub standard performances.

So, come out to the Shamrock Festival on August 14th to treat your eyes and ears to the last great performance ot the Yankee Rebels.

Gus :tongue:

I know how the members of Yankee Rebels feel same reasons why Light Brigade of Revere, MA closed shop in 2008.

Dave Correia Light Brigade 2008- RIP

Our drum corps world dims a little today. :tongue:

But the lights in Valhala burn brighter than ever as they welcome another legendary corps.

:tongue: unhappy

I know. as Westshore faces an uncertain future with Serenade going away, this has been a topic that has come up. We're lucky, we're younger than many of the other corps out there, but we don't even get interest in doing parades.

And as my Dad was a YR alum for 73-76, this one really hits home. I have great memories of my time as a kid at the Post...watching the triple line have sectionals in the womens restroom, road trips with Magilton, Randy and Norm, watching Dad learn under Goodhart and Flowers...fun times with the Boovas and Dino..crabfest at St. Michaels...the Mowbrays babysitting me...

and Shenandoah

The desire to perform is still strong, but once our generation simply cannot march and perform any longer, who will replace us? Unfortunately, we don't see a substantial influx from the 'newer generation' of corps members. After all, it has been our memories of our era that we celebrate and re-create, not theirs.

But 'your era' in a corps such as Caballeros could be any era as their alumni corps. Is there some bylaw holding you to only playing the older numbers? Why couldn't 80's & 90's be done in the future and attract younger-older members?

Look at Bridgemen's guard the last couple of years - they didn't restrict themselves to solely work done in that era in order to attract younger members. Dennis has updated the drumline from what it was BITD as well with great results. If some corps refuse to change then they will find themselves completely eliminated from the scene. Of course that is their choice, but I do think it's a disappointing option to chose.

well Liz. the problem is some of these corps last competed 30 or more years ago, and had very distinct identities...and changing from that identity hasn't always been popular with members or fans.

hell, look back at 93 Cabs when they changed the uniform and the grumbling...imagine if we had DCP or RAMD back then.

to me, a corps like the Rebels not doing something they made a classic is..well...it sucks. but unfortunately, they haven't had anything new to choose from since 1976.

Guess that is why I've re-retired out of alumni corps again. Since I never knew any of those corps I have 0 idea about those identities and see it differently. I do better as a spectator of competitive corps.