Blue Devils show not very original?

So as a fan of winterguard, I dont know if I am the only one who noticed that BD's show (especially/mainly) the guard is very similar to Fantasia's 2000 show "City of Glass"

Granted they use the same song, but the whole attitude, work, dance work, drill, uniforms etc.. is too similar for my taste. Anyone else notice this? The link to the fantasia show is below so you can feel free to compare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPQlSZHNypA

I felt the same way when BD did the whole.."dance marathon show". I dont know the name. But it was basically the same as James Logan's 1999 show.

There is a lot of talent and amazing staff, just not impressed with the lack of originality and recycling of shows (mostly w/ the same staff connected to the originals)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should also check out Avon HS's 2003 World Class Drumline show, titled "Optics."

...complete with large, movable mirror panels.

EDIT: Are YouTube videos allowed of non-drum corps ensembles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM0I9-RPnT0

Edited by Room_101

So as a fan of winterguard, I dont know if I am the only one who noticed that BD's show (especially/mainly) the guard is very similar to Fantasia's 2000 show "City of Glass"

Granted they use the same song, but the whole attitude, work, dance work, drill, uniforms etc.. is too similar for my taste. Anyone else notice this? The link to the fantasia show is below so you can feel free to compare

I felt the same way when BD did the whole.."dance marathon show". I dont know the name. But it was basically the same as James Logan's 1999 show.

There is a lot of talent and amazing staff, just not impressed with the lack of originality and recycling of shows (mostly w/ the same staff connected to the originals)

that is a stretch. Yowza, Yowza, Yowza. But, then all drum corps are just like my high school band. They have guards, uniforms, brass, drums, even a pit. Some even have girls! Hard to take this post seriously, even as a diehard BD fan. Best laugh today!

thanks,

that is a stretch. Yowza, Yowza, Yowza. But, then all drum corps are just like my high school band. They have guards, uniforms, brass, drums, even a pit. Some even have girls! Hard to take this post seriously, even as a diehard BD fan. Best laugh today!

thanks,

well think about who wrote that Fantasia show.. and who is involved in Guard design at BD... Same person! The theme is the same.. the costume colors.. evern how they "fit" the flags have 3 panels just like the winterguard show.. Just too much influence taken from another show. That winterguard show is my favorite, therefore.. I think BD's show is great. Maybe the guard is just too similar for me..

Maybe its a guard thing. lol

Adding to my previous post regarding Avon HS's drumline, I will also go out on a limb and say that THEY really started the visual movement that BD's drumline has exploited so well these past few years.

Just my opinion, of course. Nothing against BD, either.

A thread could be started like this for just about every show out there this year.

BIG COINCIDENCE THIS ONE IS ABOUT BD. WHO'D HAVE THUNK IT!

possibly.. I'm just a big fan of that 2000 Winterguard show.. so having watched it many times, the comparisons were more obvious for me

Have seen it.......HS bands(mind you seems to be some of the better ones) emulates drum corps and drum corps emulates HS bands......Which HS was it that had the door on the field very similar to the Cadets "The Zone" ???

Personally, I do not mind it.