Blue Devils show not very original?

Maybe I do??.. lol

I just wanted to get others opinions of what I was aware of, thus the question mark.. but I am fairly new at this whole DCP forum stuff, so I can see how things can be taken negatively..

Oh, you've seen nothing yet. :thumbup::tongue: :tongue:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I do??.. lol

I just wanted to get others opinions of what I was aware of, thus the question mark.. but I am fairly new at this whole DCP forum stuff, so I can see how things can be taken negatively..

No problem. By the way...you don't sweat very much! :tongue:

If you are a fan of WGI, then you obviously know that the trend du jour is to explore WGI trends/ideas in drum corps. I honestly believe that for the most part, there are very few original general show ideas left to explore. Some corps are influenced in basic WGI design trends (for example, one obvious influenced by WGI is all of the body movement stuff drum lines do during solos), while other shows expand on overall themes (like your observation about BD/Fantasia). I'll take your word for it in regards to this topic. As as percussionist I'm not well-versed enough in the details of guard work to see any type of huge similarities. I look at this as two broad themes (albeit w/similar source music), and not enough to annoy me.

FWIW, there have been other instances that have bothered me. Cadets 2000's tenor solo on a hand thing was VERY liberally influenced by the 'gods of quad' solo performed by Ponderosa HS, down to VERY similar music. For some reason at the time that really annoyed me, but after some years I don't really care much anymore (both shows were great, IMO). Perhaps the similarities between BD and Fantasia are enough to interest DCI fans not normally into WGI into exploring Fantasia show; maybe this will help create new WGI fans.

*headdesk*

I just spend a good portion of the time I spend reading threads channeling Jeff Dunham's puppet character Walter. I read some posts and my response is a simple "Dumb###." Saves wear and tear on my desk.

If you are a fan of WGI, then you obviously know that the trend du jour is to explore WGI trends/ideas in drum corps. I honestly believe that for the most part, there are very few original general show ideas left to explore. Some corps are influenced in basic WGI design trends (for example, one obvious influenced by WGI is all of the body movement stuff drum lines do during solos), while other shows expand on overall themes (like your observation about BD/Fantasia). I'll take your word for it in regards to this topic. As as percussionist I'm not well-versed enough in the details of guard work to see any type of huge similarities. I look at this as two broad themes (albeit w/similar source music), and not enough to annoy me.

FWIW, there have been other instances that have bothered me. Cadets 2000's tenor solo on a hand thing was VERY liberally influenced by the 'gods of quad' solo performed by Ponderosa HS, down to VERY similar music. For some reason at the time that really annoyed me, but after some years I don't really care much anymore (both shows were great, IMO). Perhaps the similarities between BD and Fantasia are enough to interest DCI fans not normally into WGI into exploring Fantasia show; maybe this will help create new WGI fans.

Bingo, especially about the first line I underlined. DCI tends to do these things in ways that I find most entertaining and well-done.

I started noticing it when SCV did a lot of the same things for their Miss Saigon show that a band I competed against did.

Bingo, especially about the first line I underlined. DCI tends to do these things in ways that I find most entertaining and well-done.

I started noticing it when SCV did a lot of the same things for their Miss Saigon show that a band I competed against did.

This is absolutely true (IMO, at least). DCI gives designers a much larger pallet of both visual possibility (more members = more visual form ideas) and musical colors: not to mention a LOT more practice time (most WGI units rehearse on weekends only). I'm sure for the most part recycled ideas stem from designers taking their WGI concepts to a much higher level. It wouldn't surprise me if Chandler had many more ideas to expand on the 'mirror' type ideas and is excited to do more with the idea than was possible with Fantasia.

You must mean Beyer HS. We marched during the same era.

Anyway, this is nothing new. I new exactly what we were in for when BD announced the source music being "City of Glass". I immediately thought of Fantasia's winterguard show. However, the similarities end for me there. I do hear a lot of the winterguard music in the closer of BD's show this year. I love both shows!

You must mean Beyer HS. We marched during the same era.

Anyway, this is nothing new. I new exactly what we were in for when BD announced the source music being "City of Glass". I immediately thought of Fantasia's winterguard show. However, the similarities end for me there. I do hear a lot of the winterguard music in the closer of BD's show this year. I love both shows!

yep, it was Beyer. I was with Merced...

Haven't watched much winterguard stuff. Maybe I'd like it.