Blue Devils show not very original?

Is this thread really about Scott Chandler stealing from himself? Really? LOL ! I get that the mirrors have been done by lots of people but I had to double take when I saw that BD is stealing from Fantasia. Well duh..

I think so......lol....that's what is so funny...and besides you can go back to many years this was done with many of their shows. whatever

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, it was Beyer. I was with Merced...

Haven't watched much winterguard stuff. Maybe I'd like it.

I was with Merced, too. Hmmmm.... probably a couple of years before you.

I guess being familiar with Fantasia's show made BD's show more accessible to me in a musical sense than most people. I knew what to expect and was familiar with a lot of the musical ideas throughout the program.

its so hard to be fresh and new nowadays. theres so much that has been done, its hard to keep holding on to what drum corps fans want, and how to push the activity forward. maybe in their push to innovate, they looked back to something relatable to ease the change...

The winter guard activity, as long as I have been around, has always been a harbinger of drum corps programming.

Who remembers the Guardsmen's 1980 routine? A little girl named Tina is out on the comp floor, fascinated with the toy soldiers marching all around her.

The winter guard activity, as long as I have been around, has always been a harbinger of drum corps programming.

Who remembers the Guardsmen's 1980 routine? A little girl named Tina is out on the comp floor, fascinated with the toy soldiers marching all around her.

yup yup :tongue:

Madison is doing the same rep they did in 1975. Madison's show not very original?

SCV bears a striking resemblance to a certain corps that finished 2nd in 1993 this year. SCV show not very original?

The Cadets are doing the same concept the HS band I teach at did 2 years ago. Cadets show not very original?

XMen are doing a lot with The First Circle which has been done upteenthousand times. XMen show not very original?

yep. very little is original anymore, yet we keep being told about all this cutting edge stuff.

I actually was excited to hear about the use of mirrors, and I thought they might try some sort of "glass house" effect......I am showing my age here, but they used to have this amusement park thing where you went through a mirror maze, and had to find your way through.......sounds easy, but it wasn't, and it was fun........suddenly, there were no more of them.....somebody probably freaked and broke glass and hurt themselves and sued......I envisioned the entire corps WITHIN a maze of mirrors, which could have been quite wild.

Whereas I think they get some effect out of them, my reaction thusfar is I felt that somehow (but not quite sure how), they could be used to create far greater effect. ....There are some great effects that can be done with lights and mirrors, but the lights would be illegal.....

As far as I know, they are the first actual corps to use mirrors on the field, so I don't have a problem if they pulled the idea from somewhere else..........I wish, though, that more could be done to create bigger effects with them..............

GB

Here is my two cents on the Blue Devils 2010

The design is of their production is written so far below the talent level of their membership and the design takes little to no risks at all.

More than anyone else the Blue Devils do not march from one shape to the next. Many of their drill transitions are un-judgeable as they are free form with some sort of non marching body added. For example at times they just turn and run to the next set. The guard book at times is beginner technique exercises. During their 2009 production the guard stood on chairs and did simple drop spins. The brass rarely plays rhythms on the move. When the brass is marching they are playing whole notes, half notes and many times marching in half time.

The Blue Devils are performing their show very well. I would agree that from a performance perspective that the Blue Devils are out performing everyone else. The Blue Devils 2010 production is not anymore difficult than a medium difficulty high school band show. I am not writing this as a flaming session towards the Blue Devils.

I believe that drum corps who are performing more demanding productions, productions that have been written to challenge their membership a little more, should be given more credit than they are being given right now. The 2009 Blue Devils walked away with the championship using this same design technique. It is a dangerous trend that we are establishing in drum corps.