Judge Mishaps...

So, all of us that have seen shows know that judges have a huge responsibility. But know ahead of time, I'm not relating this thread to ANY aspect of how they judge, or scores. This has nothing to do with that.

I'm talking about when judges are running in and out of formations, and sometimes slip up. Personally, I've never seen a judge fall, but have seen them get hit. I don't wish any harm on any judge, but it's quite interesting when it does happen. I sometimes wonder though, do the judges after so many shows halfway know where the lines are going to move next? Or are they just good at predicting? I know they try to stay in front or behind the lines, but sometimes space gets tight.

Thoughts, experiences...>?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch any video of the end of Spirit's show at the Atlanta regional, and you're pretty much guaranteed to see that moment where the percussion judge accidentally trips one of the trumpet players...he recovered very nicely, though.

Also, I almost ran over Albert Lo at Semifinals in '09. Not intentionally, though - I had no idea how close it was until I watched the high-cam. I was marching backwards and he was behind me. He attempted to get out of my way by going one direction, but my next move took me in that exact same direction.

Edited by BugleBand

Watch any video of the end of Spirit's show at the Atlanta regional, and you're pretty much guaranteed to see that moment where the percussion judge accidentally trips one of the trumpet players...he recovered very nicely, though.

Also, I almost ran over Albert Lo at Semifinals in '09. Not intentionally, though - I had no idea how close it was until I watched the high-cam. I was marching backwards and he was behind me. He attempted to get out of my way by going one direction, but my next move took me in that exact same direction.

Oh I was in the stands in ATL that year. I forgot about that! I seen it live...and to be honest, I had to laugh for a second...but whoever it was did recover very well!

11_25_2003_petrash.jpg

Down Goes Frazier !!.... Down Goes Frazier !!

Edited by BRASSO

I saw one worse at a DCA show....guys face and shirt was covered in blood after catching a rifle with his head

in '99 after a drill rewrite, I backward marched right into the drum judge, and caused a collision, and had to finish the show without my aussie

There is also the Tenor player in '02 magic at finals.....that wasnt a judge, but the kid told me that the judge almost ordered him to get off the field since his face was gushing blood.

Then there was the VK cymbal player, a l o n g time ago, who buried his cymbal in a judge's head.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor