Judge Mishaps...

Just watch the end of the Cadets 2008 show. Drum judge. Hilarity ensues.

I'm going to be honest, I don't watch that show all that much. Saw it in Houston that year and just didn't like it... however, since you mentioned this I shall watch it again and laugh at the judge I suppose!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be honest, I don't watch that show all that much. Saw it in Houston that year and just didn't like it... however, since you mentioned this I shall watch it again and laugh at the judge I suppose!

Its just the ending...when it goes to all High Cam.

96 BD. I believe it's the drum judge, but it is at the end when the whole corps is rushing for the front sideline. The drum judge is front of the snares the entire time and they stop right before they trap the guy in the middle of the corps.

Just watch the end of the Cadets 2008 show. Drum judge. Hilarity ensues.

Just watched that. Awesome!

Just watched that. Awesome!

They wised up in 2009. From the company front to the end all the judges are just parked on the front sideline...drum judge included I think.

I remember marching in Troopers in 1979 and we had a section of the show where I had to do a rapid "to the rear march" and enter a company front. When I did the turn I saw a flash of hair and a flying cliipboard and realized that I had almost decapitated the on-field brass judge Sandra Opie (of Argonne Rebels fame). I managed to keep my baritone from smashing into her skull by about an inch or two. When we finished the show she walked by me and thanked me for "not ruining her day"! (lol). The rest of the corps gave me hell for not "finishing her off" that day. (In jest, of course).

I remember marching in Troopers in 1979 and we had a section of the show where I had to do a rapid "to the rear march" and enter a company front. When I did the turn I saw a flash of hair and a flying cliipboard and realized that I had almost decapitated the on-field brass judge Sandra Opie (of Argonne Rebels fame). I managed to keep my baritone from smashing into her skull by about an inch or two. When we finished the show she walked by me and thanked me for "not ruining her day"! (lol). The rest of the corps gave me hell for not "finishing her off" that day. (In jest, of course).

These are fun reads.

Judges on the field have to be agile, nimble, with quick reflexes and instincts.

In the early days of DCA , the Drum Majors of the Senior Corps were all tough, cagey, wily veterans. The DM's then were not on podiums. As such, when the Corps brass was not playing, the DM's could march essentially anywhere on the field. . Most of the time, they'd purposefully try and get between the judge and the section the judge would be judging. Judges knew what the DM's were up too, and it was a case of cat and mouse between the judge trying to get into proper position to tick a Corps, and the DM doing what he could to prevent that proper positioning by the judge within reason. Fans in the stands used to get hoot out of watching the DM march over to the judge the DM selected to " hunt down" and that judge needing to have one eye out for the DM as they attempted to position themselves. The Judge had the edge because the judge could quicklly scatter, while the DM still needed to march in step with the drumbeat from the drum section playing. But more than once, the DM would get lucky and lightly bump into the judge, and the fans in the stands would let out a howl with that.

I like this thread.

Edited by BRASSO

These are fun reads.

Judges on the field have to be agile, nimble, with quick reflexes and instincts.

In the early days of DCA , the Drum Majors of the Senior Corps were all tough, cagey, wily veterans. The DM's then were not on podiums. As such, when the Corps brass was not playing, the DM's could march essentially anywhere on the field. . Most of the time, they'd purposefully try and get between the judge and the section the judge would be judging. Judges knew what the DM's were up too, and it was a case of cat and mouse between the judge trying to get into proper position to tick a Corps, and the DM doing what he could to prevent that proper positioning by the judge within reason. Fans in the stands used to get hoot out of watching the DM march over to the judge the DM selected to " hunt down" and that judge needing to have one eye out for the DM as they attempted to position themselves. The Judge had the edge because the judge could quicklly scatter, while the DM still needed to march in step with the drumbeat from the drum section playing. But more than once, the DM would get lucky and lightly bump into the judge, and the fans in the stands would let out a howl with that.

I like this thread.

Slightly off topic but a friend of mine went to West Point and told me this. If you got a de-merit, your punishment may be to spend Sunday afternoon patrolling the parade ground outside the dorms. If there were several cadets out there they would march a slow march sneaking up on each other playing tag. Also, cadets up in the dorm rooms would rig surgical tubing into sling shots on the window frames. They would work out artillary missions by indexing the length of tubing plus the location on the grid on their floor created by the floor tile. They would load the sling shot with a small carton of milk (appropriated from the dairy on the base) and spoil your day as you crossed the area below.