Impossible to judge?

It seems like there are certain years where some people will argue that "X" corps should have won instead of "Y", or "Z" was better than both of them. Years where a tie royally sucked, and a clear winner should have been awarded.

This year could be one where not 2, not 4 but 5 corps could justifiably score enough points to win.

It's not a DCP trend to have empathy for judges, but this year I think it's warranted.

What can they do to make the winner a clear one? And no "BD can't be allowed to win, period" is not an option - if they earn it, they earn it.

I'm posting this not to get a rise or start a flame war. Just to see what you think particular judges will do for the rest of the season to justify how they score and who they place where.

I think you can pencil in Greg Hall for "Bluecoats will never win Music Ensemble". Ugh. :tongue::rolleyes:

It seems like there are certain years where some people will argue that "X" corps should have won instead of "Y", or "Z" was better than both of them. Years where a tie royally sucked, and a clear winner should have been awarded.

This year could be one where not 2, not 4 but 5 corps could justifiably score enough points to win.

It's not a DCP trend to have empathy for judges, but this year I think it's warranted.

What can they do to make the winner a clear one? And no "BD can't be allowed to win, period" is not an option - if they earn it, they earn it.

I'm posting this not to get a rise or start a flame war. Just to see what you think particular judges will do for the rest of the season to justify how they score and who they place where.

I think you can pencil in Greg Hall for "Bluecoats will never win Music Ensemble". Ugh. :tongue::thumbup:

Give one corps their highest score at finals.... :tongue:

Seriously, If each judge does his job to rank and rate first and get their spreads right, the overall score will reflect that. I believe we will yet again see more ordinal flips this year and maybe a corps wins with a lot of 2's and a few 1's. Just check out a recap with BC, Crown and Phantom. They are all over the place...

I still think BD is so consistent and even in all captions that it may be hard to overtake their total score at finals. This year should be much closer than last year, but I see BD squeaking it out by a few tenths again this year.

Edited by trumpetcam

In all honesty, I've stopped paying attention to the scores becuase they mean very very little in the grand scheme of things. Everything is subjective depending on the panel. In all honesty, one panels winner would probably be different then another panels.

It just doesn't matter... in 10 years I'm not going to remember who placed where, but I will remember the show that captured my attention.

It doesn't matter who wins this year. In my mind the 2010 drum corps international champions will be Carolina Crown. Whether they win it for real or not is irrelevant to me when it comes down to it. They are the best in my mind this year. Bluecoats are right up there and so are Cadets. It's a pretty great year for drumcorps.

As much as I love the Cadets in general (They were my original corps of choice to march before Dutch Boy. Kitchener was closer to my mother) - my 1993 winner was Star of Indiana.

I still cannot conceive how they didn't get a score well into the 98 range. Like the Cadets in 1983, that show by Star changed the activity forever.

Can't wait to see them on the webcast.

This year - I can't tell who will win. I don't know - no one does. I don't expect any corps to fall flat on their face in the final 4 weeks of the season. Not gonna happen. Which means Championship week will be a judging nightmare.

In all honesty, I've stopped paying attention to the scores becuase they mean very very little in the grand scheme of things. Everything is subjective depending on the panel. In all honesty, one panels winner would probably be different then another panels.

It just doesn't matter... in 10 years I'm not going to remember who placed where, but I will remember the show that captured my attention.

Jason -- probably the most accurate observation and analysis in many years!

Kudos!!

:thumbup:

It matters A LOT to the Corps marchers, the staff, their fans, who wins it all. Anybody that thinks otherwise, never marched in Corps that came in 1st place. They'll remember their Championship winning Corps fondly forever.

But after 1st place, it now comes down to how the fans across the country enjoyed and were entertained by your Corps show. When most of us go back in time to select Corps we want to watch and listen too ( on say Fan Network ), I'd imagine that the Corps placement that year is irrelevant to most of us when we do so.

Edited by BRASSO

It matters to me, because the style of the winner often dictates the direction other corps go. If a certain "style" keeps winning shows that, while technically superb, leave the audience flat, then more corps will adopt that strategy. This could lead to fan decay, and ultimately, the end of drum corps. (wow..that's sounds very doomsday-ish... :thumbup: )

It matters to me, because the style of the winner often dictates the direction other corps go. If a certain "style" keeps winning shows that, while technically superb, leave the audience flat, then more corps will adopt that strategy. This could lead to fan decay, and ultimately, the end of drum corps. (wow..that's sounds very doomsday-ish... :thumbup: )

Not always..Cavaliers dominated with all original music from 2000 - 2003 and I dont see others jumping on the bandwagon.

G