Blue Devils Bingo - FTW!

As you saw in this thread there was a lot of drama with respect to another bingo operator trying to open a "big box (for profit?!) bingo hall" in Concord.

They rammed their way through the system, but were stopped last night at the Concord City Council meeting where the City Council voted 4-1 to accept the Blue Devils appeal, and sending "Pops Bingo" back to the planning commission to ensure the proper legal process for permits and environmental studies are to be done.

This is a BIG victory for BD, probably more so than all of our DCI victories, as this means we can keep all of our programs going for now.

It does NOT mean that we've "won the war", as "Pops Bingo" is opening a hall just over the hill in Richmond, CA ... TOMORROW ... and they are trying to open one just across the bridge in Fairfield. This Virginia based (FOR PROFIT?) company is trying to muscle into California bingo in a BIG way, so we are still very nervous.

THANK YOU to everyone who supported BD throughout this process. The Concord City Council received many hundreds of letters / e-mails from all around the world showing their support for this appeal. It just goes to show that you can make a difference ... THANKS AGAIN!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As you saw in this thread there was a lot of drama with respect to another bingo operator trying to open a "big box (for profit?!) bingo hall" in Concord.

They rammed their way through the system, but were stopped last night at the Concord City Council meeting where the City Council voted 4-1 to accept the Blue Devils appeal, and sending "Pops Bingo" back to the planning commission to ensure the proper legal process for permits and environmental studies are to be done.

This is a BIG victory for BD, probably more so than all of our DCI victories, as this means we can keep all of our programs going for now.

It does NOT mean that we've "won the war", as "Pops Bingo" is opening a hall just over the hill in Richmond, CA ... TOMORROW ... and they are trying to open one just across the bridge in Fairfield. This Virginia based (FOR PROFIT?) company is trying to muscle into California bingo in a BIG way, so we are still very nervous.

THANK YOU to everyone who supported BD throughout this process. The Concord City Council received many hundreds of letters / e-mails from all around the world showing their support for this appeal. It just goes to show that you can make a difference ... THANKS AGAIN!

Good news for BD and the activity! :thumbup:

Article in local paper about last night's decision.

I was checking in through the night to see what the results were and found this a few hours ago, after I sent out an e-mail trying to learn what transpired. I'm happy the council is apparently going to consider the process of how the Pop's proposal got ramrodded through without any of the typical considerations (environmental impact, etc.) and this means the BD operation lives for at least another day.

Edited by Michael Boo

from the article:

Council members said it was not that testimony that swayed them — and they voiced support for the project in general, and for the concept of a second bingo hall in Concord.

But the process through which the proposed hall was approved by the city was deeply flawed, the council said in sending the project back for another review by the city's staff and Planning Commission.

So, in other words, this only delays things a bit.

Good news for now for BD, but I hope they can reposition themselves soon so that they don't see a fiscal hit from this, since it looks like it's coming down the pipe, just later than expected.

Hopefully, with bureaucracy being what it is (and knowing how slow it moves), this now gives BD plenty of lead time.

Below is a copy of the letter I sent by fax and e-mail to each of the Concord City Council members. I guess I can share this now in the hopes that others will send similar messages to welcome and encourage the possible change in direction the council is embarking upon. If you send a message, please be sure to thank the council members for their decision to take another look at the proposal.

July 9, 2010

Address, phone and e-mail

Dear NAME:

My name is Michael Boo and since the 1970s, I have had the honor to share my passion for drum corps through my writing. For the past couple of decades, I have been the Staff Writer for Drum Corps International, the governing organization of junior drum and bugle corps in the activity’s hotbed of North America.

It has come to my attention that the not-for-profit Blue Devils organization is in dire danger of losing a major portion of its income due to a professional bingo operator from the east coast that is threatening to move into town. This would severely impact the Blue Devils bingo operation, which has been in operation for over 30 years and is already operating at less than half its capacity due to the economy and other changes in regional gaming.

It would be a tremendous shame should this happen, as the Blue Devils organization directly serves over 600 youth each year with its six ensembles. The Blue Devils “A” Corps has brought pride to the City of Concord by capturing a record thirteen Drum Corps International World Championship titles, maintaining an unwavering commitment to innovation and excellence. Each summer, they carry the banner and name of Concord to an estimated three million drum corps fans that see them live, on the Internet and in movie theaters during special broadcasts.

Most of those 600 plus youth are Concord residents are served by a variety of other ensembles that don’t get the national press the “A” corps does; the Diablo Youth Symphony, twirling corps and a feeder drum corps for young kids (the “B” corps) as well as a corps for really young kids (the “C” corps).

Any hit to the Blue Devils’ fund-raising lifeline could spell disaster for the entire organization, and I believe it could be a public relations nightmare for the city. Breaking the Blue Devils (the current Drum Corps International World Champions) would be an action that would reverberate around the world of pageantry. Other corps from California and beyond have already disappeared because their funding dried up; including the multi-DCI World Championship finalists Freelancers from Sacramento. It would be tragic if Blue Devils were to follow in Freelancers’ footsteps because a professional bingo operator wants to move in on an already shrinking fund raising base.

It’s important to know that not only do Blue Devils wow and amaze audiences throughout the United States (and well beyond due to the Internet and official DVD products); but they do so with a class that brings much pride to Concord. The following are links to three articles I’ve written for Drum Corps International’s DCI.org that exemplify the standards by which the “A” corps operates and the values it imparts to its members. I heartily encourage you to read each and then ask yourself the following question: What would Concord and the rest of the world lose if there were no Blue Devils?

Demonstrating the meaning of being a champion: This is my favorite of the multitudes of articles I’ve written about the Blue Devils “A” Corps over the years. It was something that happened rather spontaneously, and though the members were celebrating their latest victory, they took time out to grant a wish to two Marines who were on leave from Iraq and were soon to return to battle. (Unfortunately, one of the Marines died during his next leave. His mother later wrote me to express how the action of Blue Devils was one of the highlights of his life. You should know that the corps sent a bugler to his memorial service at Camp Pendleton.)

LINK

Nolan's story: This is an article on how the corps brought joy into the heart of an autistic boy, how the members and staff took the time to treat him like royalty, and how those actions brightened his life.

LINK

Blue Devils’ Scott Johnson makes a wish come true: This is a story on how one of the corps’ famous instructors took the time out of his busy schedule to make a wish come true for a youth needing a kidney transplant.

LINK

In closing, I ask the city council to consider the effects of their important decision coming up on Tuesday, and I ask them to imagine Concord without the Blue Devils. The council members have the opportunity to stand up for an organization that has returned so much to the community and in addition has brought it immeasurable pride.

The entire drum corps world and those who love drum corps patiently and eagerly await the results of Tuesday’s meeting.

Sincerely:

Michael Boo

Staff Writer—Drum Corps International

What a beautiful letter.

Michael Boo, you are my friggin hero.

Wow, that's scary business. I hope Pops goes away...

What a beautiful letter.

Michael Boo, you are my friggin hero.

Thank you. But everyone who has marched in or helped out a corps is my hero, so please take a bow.