State of drum corps manifesto

You were a great and dedicated fan! We're sorry to lose you! Hope you can find something to fill that void! See ya!

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only way it ever can or will....$$$$$$$$$$$$$

complaining, alone, won't do it.

but, dcp is a nice outlet for getting to voice your concerns.

We agree on the $$$$$$$$$, that would be the deciding factor in drum corps no matter what happens in years to come.

But, this forum gives us an idea of how many within this community have the same feelings.

Calling it useless to gripe is looking at only part of what we are doing here.

By voicing a gripe or concern we just might find that there are a lot of others who agree with us OR we may find that we are very much alone in our thoughts.

But, agreed, talking/walking using your $$$$$$ to speak is a solution only if the corps take the time to listen for the reason why (or even notice).

Well, as I stated in the manifesto, this was the first time I've ever left a drum corps show and felt like I didn't get my money's worth and don't think I'll spend $50 again to sit through that. I'm so disappointed. DCI has been a huge part of my life for the better part of 25 years! I'm sure as the shows get further and further away from fan friendliness they'll price themselves out. Its just not exciting anymore. I hate it because for the first time in lifetime the Bluecoats are challenging for the title!

DW

I hear you.

I think Bloo is very entertaining this year. Cadets have a more old school show, too with a nice chunk of Procession of the Nobles. Crown's show is great if you like a fantastic brass performance with some fun music. BK is doing Farandole, Nimrod, and Brahms...pretty lyrical and enjoyable. Just a few off the top of my head that I figured might appeal to most fans.

I don't know if you skipped over this part of the article or not, but I was a long standing member of the Bluecoats Board of Directors for 8 years, helped run the alumni association as well as souvenir operation. I've been there and done that, seen how opinions and concerns about the activity were blanketly ignored and now we have the product that sits before us. You have a VERY few strong personalities wagging the dog in DCI and no one wants to stand up to these people to reform for what's pleasing to the consumer.

I really dislike when drum corps hide behind the veil of education as well. Drum corps is a learning experience (moreso about life) but it is NOT music education. Its an entertainment medium by birth, nature, and structure.

DW

I don't totally agree with what you just said. Opinions and suggestions made to people in the drum corps world are, by the most part, taken seriously. There are a few in the drum corps world that want to take it a different direction than most want. This will pass if we, the consumers, make out feelings known. You've got to do more than #####. You have to become active in the activity, either by volunteering or (and this is the big one) donating your money. Corps directors listen to the people that help their corps. It's that simple. It doesn't have to be a great deal of money either. Show an interest and share your ideas, along with a little out of your pocketbook, and you will be listened to.

I'm not a voting member of Congress, either. But you can bet my Congressman knows my name and opinion.

Well, as I stated in the manifesto, this was the first time I've ever left a drum corps show and felt like I didn't get my money's worth and don't think I'll spend $50 again to sit through that. I'm so disappointed. DCI has been a huge part of my life for the better part of 25 years! I'm sure as the shows get further and further away from fan friendliness they'll price themselves out. Its just not exciting anymore. I hate it because for the first time in lifetime the Bluecoats are challenging for the title!

DW

I've been a paying customer Every year for 34 years now and I truly spend less every year. I went to the Arlington show this year and decided I'm NOT going to Murfreesboro. The gentleman that went with me to Arlington that evening has not been to a show since Murfreesboro 2004 and there's a reason he hasn't been back. He saw the writing on the wall then. I was in town visiting him and talked him into going to the Arlington show with me and when we left after the show for the first time I had to agree with him. IT IS NOT DRUM COPRS ANYMORE AND HASN"T BEEN FOR AWHILE!! Might as well change the name to MBI and get it over with.

Edited by Perry S

I don't know if you skipped over this part of the article or not, but I was a long standing member of the Bluecoats Board of Directors for 8 years, helped run the alumni association as well as souvenir operation. I've been there and done that, seen how opinions and concerns about the activity were blanketly ignored and now we have the product that sits before us. You have a VERY few strong personalities wagging the dog in DCI and no one wants to stand up to these people to reform for what's pleasing to the consumer.

I really dislike when drum corps hide behind the veil of education as well. Drum corps is a learning experience (moreso about life) but it is NOT music education. Its an entertainment medium by birth, nature, and structure.

DW

I didn't miss it. It's a shame you feel the way you do. A great deal of good is done for the kids in drum corps and we will be sorry to lose an obviously loyal fan. Many of us, where I live, felt the way you do when the Sky Ryders moved to Texas. There has been a void in this town ever since. Don't give up on the activity for the actions of a few. Eventually either reason will win out or there will be no more drum corps. I'm working for the "reason" side. Wish you would, as well.

I didn't miss it. It's a shame you feel the way you do. A great deal of good is done for the kids in drum corps and we will be sorry to lose an obviously loyal fan. Many of us, where I live, felt the way you do when the Sky Ryders moved to Texas. There has been a void in this town ever since. Don't give up on the activity for the actions of a few. Eventually either reason will win out or there will be no more drum corps. I'm working for the "reason" side. Wish you would, as well.

I guess that's why I've held out longer than my friend. I was hoping for reason. Now I'm Praying. I know this response you made was for 93Bluecoat but when I was reading his post I was saying to myself "Why didn't I write this". I hope I don't give up on it all together. There are some Corps getting back to accessible shows (The Boxer is one among others) but when I was listening to the horn EFX and watching ALOT (and I mean ALOT as the OP said NO Hyperbole) of people face palming and shaking their heads and muttering under their breath and even some open explitives, I cannot help but think something is VERY wrong. Even my friend who I talked into going with me saying "See, See, That's why I haven't been in 6 years!" Yeah, I see

edited for spelling and to add some last minute thoughts

Edited by Perry S

Not entirely sure about that...you HAVE to have some experience with marching band or drum corps in order to pull it off. Someone who has NO experience in corps, but say has experience in some sort of avant garde performance art would be more likely to incorporate elements of those performances...it's what they know.

Rather, I would the infusion shoulf be from people who have been involved, but who refuse to go for the sheets...go for the crowd.

Obviously a drum corps staff needs to have some grounding in the activity. But, it isn't rocket science. Music is music and any high school freshman can read a drill sheet. This fallacious idea that drum corps people have some magically special knowledge that others don't is a big part of what's holding it back.

Let me start by saying that I fully realize that with some of the things I’m going to write in this rant will alienate me with about 90% of the activity and even some of my Bluecoats family. I’m ok with that because I think, publicly, what I have to say needs to be shared. Its definitely being mutter by fans, alumni, and many people surrounding the activity and I think if its ignored, the activity faces losing generations of fan base. With that being said NOTHING in this rant represents the Bluecoats, their opinions, beliefs or anyone associated to that organization.

I probably agree with you 50% and disagree 50%, BUT I really do appreciate the way you presented your thoughts and feelings. It was well written and opinionated without being volatile or overly polarizing; kinda rare on DCP. Kudos!

Music is music and any high school freshman can read a drill sheet.

Don't get me going on the kids I was working with at the high school in 08!! :thumbdown: That one guy from the guard slowed EVERYTHING down because he was such a drama queen...when he graduated, Dave T was able to get work done the following year.

On the other hand...the 10 guys we had on the field for EG were able to easily understand the 12 or so drill sets I talked them through when I was trying to salvage the show.

Edited by 84BDsop