Open Class Predictions

My thoughts:

BDB, Spartans, 7th: BDB is big, talented, and hungry for a repeat. Spartans are being taught by the same staff that brought them 4 titles since 2004. They KNOW how to drive a corps to the top, simple as that. 7th is young, driven, and fresh staff provides a boost.

Revo, Raiders, OC: A lot of experience in this grouping. I hope to see a bright future for open class planted this season.

Impulse, Gold, Music City: Hoping to see Impulse back in mix, but I wanna see fresh faces taking strides. Music City is new, and has a lot to learn so if the kids stay sharp, and attentive, good things will happen.

I dunno who else is showing up for Nats, so that's what I have.

As for BDB being too big, and too competitive, big deal. In my time at Spartans we were NEVER the largest corps in top three. We worked with what was available, and cleaned the everloving crap out of it. Let BDB worry about BDB, Spartans worry about Spartans, etc...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for BDB being too big, and too competitive, big deal. In my time at Spartans we were NEVER the largest corps in top three. We worked with what was available, and cleaned the everloving crap out of it. Let BDB worry about BDB, Spartans worry about Spartans, etc...

Very good point! Another fine example are the Mandarins during their Division III heyday.

I'm guessing from your "blue4ever" name that you have a connection to the BD organization. Beyond having two sons who marched with the A corps and a daughter who works with the B corps I have none and have never had any connection besides competing against them, usually in vain. I think though that you're missing a point - which is that the issue for BDB is not where they compete or where they finish - it's whatever the BD organization says it is. Their focus, it seems to me, is less about conquering the world, and more about offering a Blue Devil quality experience to kids who for a variety of reasons, either do not wish to do the World Class experience at this time, or don't wish to be anywhere but with BDB. Kids age out of BDB. There are 16 year old kids there who have spent 10 years in the BD organization already. In short, the issue, as you put it, seems to have nothing at all to do with winning Open Class or where they might finish in World Class. It seems to be to provide the BD experience, in this case as administered by members of the Odello family, the virtual "first family" of the BD legacy. I think it would be a mistake for any of us to decide what's in that corps best interest. They seem to have that covered, and covered pretty well. As to their effect on other Open Class corps, they stand as a light-tower - as do the Vanguard Cadets - a goal to aim for. One thing to remember is that with few exceptions, BDB and SCVC are not, like their World Class counterparts, made up of the most talented kids from all over the country. These are essentially home grown organizations saying to the other Open Class corps - we did this - see what you can do. Not a bad model.

Ray, Very well spoken! 100%!! :thumbup::doh:

I would never doubt a corps work ethic. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed both of their shows this year. But, its obvious that SCVC and BDB are larger and quite a higher caliber than any of the corps in their division, and therefore, should not be competing against them. I feel the Open Class would be much more meaningful of corps could actually compete for a championship, rather than just handing it to a corps that is too big and too good to be in that division.

I usually just sit quietly and observe the comments on the DCP forum; however, as you can tell by my name, I am familiar with BDB and to just set the record straight with your comment that "BDB are large and quite a higher caliber than any of the corps...and therefore, should not be competing against them", During the past 6 years, BDB has been recruiting and trying to improve their membership numbers and have been very successful with this. The off season is spent at band competitions recruiting for new members. After winning the championship last year, more than 50% of the members either did not return this year or have moved on to World class corps. This year, the BDB membership consists of about 50% new members, most of which have never done drum corps. Their success can be attributed to the members' commitment and talent, and an excellent instructional and management staff. BDB had to work just as hard as any other open class corps to reach the caliber they are at, and perhaps it was just luck that the corps this year consists of such talented young adults, but luck or not, give them the credit they so deserve. I do not believe a championship will just be handed to them, they are working towards it just like any of the other Open Class Corps.

Ray nailed it on the head. I have nothing to add. Absolutely perfect explanation.

I usually just sit quietly and observe the comments on the DCP forum; however, as you can tell by my name, I am familiar with BDB and to just set the record straight with your comment that "BDB are large and quite a higher caliber than any of the corps...and therefore, should not be competing against them", During the past 6 years, BDB has been recruiting and trying to improve their membership numbers and have been very successful with this. The off season is spent at band competitions recruiting for new members. After winning the championship last year, more than 50% of the members either did not return this year or have moved on to World class corps. This year, the BDB membership consists of about 50% new members, most of which have never done drum corps. Their success can be attributed to the members' commitment and talent, and an excellent instructional and management staff. BDB had to work just as hard as any other open class corps to reach the caliber they are at, and perhaps it was just luck that the corps this year consists of such talented young adults, but luck or not, give them the credit they so deserve. I do not believe a championship will just be handed to them, they are working towards it just like any of the other Open Class Corps.

shh! you are giving away trade secrets :thumbdown:

agree with everything you state as well!

Well Spoken.

Okay, let's get back to predictions. I only commented on corps I know enough about.

1. Blue Devils B (this has already been explained enough in this thread :/ Personally I believe they will win just like everyone else, except they will peak and the gap will be closed to no more than 3 or 4 points ahead of 2nd place)

2. Oregon Crusaders

3. Spartans (back with everything they had in 07)

4. Raiders (great already, and I don't think they've even started all-days yet!)

5. 7th Regiment (Cool show and great talent! It took you long enough, but nobody questions your talent and seriousness now!)

6. Revolution (Improved program design over recent years and a smart move with the uniform alteration, it adds an element that looks great, goes with the show, and is unique to them. They will likely place higher than 6th, in fact all the corps in my 2nd to 6th place predictions will probably switch around and end up in different spots by finals.)

7. Legends

8. Music City

9. Genesis (amazing numbers and a great start to their hopefully long history!)

10. Colt Cadets

11. Forte (has everything they need to be great and one of my favorite uniforms in the activity, now just get a few more people on the field)

12. Les Stentors (With their DRASTICALLY improved numbers, I believe and desperately hope they will place higher and possibly make finals.)

13. Velvet Knights

14. Racine Scouts

15. Platinum (I don't like the uniforms at all, but that has nothing to do with predictions. You'll be great in time)

16. Spirit of Newark/New Jersey

17. Blue Saints

Yeah, only 17 corps are going to Michigan City. I've even heard that Platinum might not (don't hold me to that) so that would leave just 16. I don't know if they're gonna keep the split the same as always with everyone moving on to semis, or if they're gonna do it like in 2007 where only 15 corps move past the first day, or even something else. If someone could tell us what's going on that would be appreciated.

Also, is Strangnas performing as an international corps? Or are they competing with the rest of the corps in Open Class?

PS: I believe that Impulse, Gold, and Thunder would make finals (or at least high semis) if they went. Get out here guys!

Edited by MetalTones2012

I usually just sit quietly and observe the comments on the DCP forum; however, as you can tell by my name, I am familiar with BDB and to just set the record straight with your comment that "BDB are large and quite a higher caliber than any of the corps...and therefore, should not be competing against them", During the past 6 years, BDB has been recruiting and trying to improve their membership numbers and have been very successful with this. The off season is spent at band competitions [/b]recruiting for new members. After winning the championship last year, more than 50% of the members either did not return this year or have moved on to World class corps. This year, the BDB membership consists of about 50% new members, most of which have never done drum corps. Their success can be attributed to the members' commitment and talent, and an excellent instructional and management staff. BDB had to work just as hard as any other open class corps to reach the caliber they are at, and perhaps it was just luck that the corps this year consists of such talented young adults, but luck or not, give them the credit they so deserve. I do not believe a championship will just be handed to them, they are working towards it just like any of the other Open Class Corps.

I wonder..... do most Open Class corps spend the off season recruiting new members at band competitions? Or do most rely on open auditions? Does BDB approach kids from the more competitive bands at these competitions? Interesting strategy, if this is the case. Perhaps such recruiting is common practice among the other OC corps. It would be interesting to know.....

Okay, let's get back to predictions. I only commented on corps I know enough about.

1. Blue Devils B (this has already been explained enough in this thread :/)

2. Oregon Crusaders

3. Spartans (back with everything they had in 07)

4. Raiders (great already, and I don't think they've even started all-days yet!)

5. 7th Regiment (it took you long enough, but nobody questions your talent and seriousness now!)

6. Revolution

7. Legends

8. Music City

9. Genesis (amazing numbers and a great start to their hopefully long history!)

10. Colt Cadets

11. Forte (has everything they need to be great, now just get a few more people on the field)

12. Les Stentors (with their DRASTICALLY improved numbers and show, I believe and desperately hope they will catch up. It would be great to have a French Canadian corps in finals again!)

13. Velvet Knights

14. Racine Scouts

15. Platinum (I don't like the uniforms at all, but that has nothing to do with predictions. You'll be great in time)

16. Spirit of Newark/New Jersey

17. Blue Saints

Yeah, only 17 corps are going to Michigan City. I've even heard that Platinum might not (don't hold me to that) so that would leave just 16. I don't know if they're gonna keep the split the same as always with everyone moving on to semis, or if they're gonna do it like in 2007 where only 15 corps move past the first day, or even something else. If someone could tell us what's going on that would be appreciated.

Also, is Strangnas performing as an international corps? Or are they competing with the rest of the corps in Open Class?

PS: I believe that Impulse, Gold, and Thunder would make finals (or at least high semis) if they went. Get out here guys!

I think the Raiders start 5 straight days of Death Camp today. So while other corps can't practice due to schedules, work, facilities and other things, they will be setting every block, set by set, cleaning everything up and adding body movement to this years show and when hit the field by the end of the week, they will look very good. They have been doing this for years and it shows with thier finals placements every year. Goof luck to them and all the corps the rest of the season!

Edited by CT-Horn

I wonder..... do most Open Class corps spend the off season recruiting new members at band competitions? Or do most rely on open auditions? Does BDB approach kids from the more competitive bands at these competitions? Interesting strategy, if this is the case. Perhaps such recruiting is common practice among the other OC corps. It would be interesting to know.....

BDB does not "approach kids from the more competitive bands". The are very unassuming at these competitions. They set up a table, with information and answer questions, hand out flyers, just to get the word out to high school bands. An open audition is held.