Rainouts and Refunds

That was back when men were men... :tongue:

I guess times change due to "drill velocity" and all the plug in crap but I can remember performing and going to shows for years in the rain. Anyone else here watch 1/2 of finals in Jackson with trash bag ponchos on?

My 35-year love affair with drum corps was solidified at DCI Midwest prelims in Whitewater in 1975, watching the Madison Scouts, SCV, Kilties, Blue Stars, etc. perform through a driving rain. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: That's when I knew I had to be a part of a drum corps.

Edited by oldsoprano

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was dealt with much better at Naperville this year than last but it could have been better.

I'm hesitant to go into this because some will use rainouts to push their indoor d/c agenda, (at least outdoors I'll buy a ticket and risk eating it) but to kind-of quote one of those local people that sat next to me…we saw one corps last years and two and a half this year; why don't they put the good corps on first if they might have to cancel so we at least see them?

seemed reasonable to me, considering the delay, day and radar, there was enough time for corps to adjust...it was doubtful they'd get the entire show in anyway

I didn't stay for the standstill…I rushed out as soon as it was officially called…as I rushed towards my car I heard some corps person remark 'Blank corps was smart to leave already

*cringe*

I would have liked to gotten on the road and ahead of that storm too

Well, putting on the "good" corps as you call it seems logical, but it's in no way fair. No matter who it is, all the corps want to perform. So, just adjusting the order of performance because of unfortunate rain wouldn't make the corps feel any better..guess it would make the fans happier.

So, just adjusting the order of performance because of unfortunate rain wouldn't make the corps feel any better..guess it would make the fans happier.

And adjusting the order would make the fans happier because they would also be able to go home earlier. Another poster in a different thread described this very thing happening this year at the Jersey Surf Home Show when Surf went on last; according to him, over half the fans left the stadium prior to Surf performing and it didn't even rain.

Edited by Stu

And adjusting the order would make the fans happier because they would also be able to go home earlier. Another poster in a different thread described this very thing happening this year at the Jersey Surf Home Show when Surf went on last; according to him, over half the fans left the stadium prior to Surf performing and it didn't even rain.

don't know the exact number, but I was there and yes...far too many folks left prior to Surf...who did a fine job, BTW...

don't know the exact number, but I was there and yes...far too many folks left prior to Surf...who did a fine job, BTW...

What is extremely sad is that very thing gives a lot of fodder to Hopkins, Gibbs, Fiedler, Glasgow, Valenzuela, DeGrauwe, and Smith/Coats that they are "The Act" and many fans only want to see them.

Rain in Rochester...1985...we played through it even though the judges decided not to....no score for us that day...but best show ever :)

Rain at the Manning Bowl the following weekend...we waited for it to stop....great memory (as a performer, anyway)

Hurricane condition at DCA prelims in 2008...horrid for all concerned :(

Rain in Orlando last summer...show cancelled...spectator that time....not happy (understood...still not happy)

It is part of the drill in drum corps....maybe easier to swallow when the tix were $12...not so easy nowadays.

All the regionals are indoors....cant take a chance on this weather stuff...makes sense....even if Alamo, Georgia and Lucas sound like crap :)

Arrogant ###-holes...the new breed of drum corps fans!!!!!

Ummmm... you cannot blame just the fans. DCI has promoted itself as the Marching Music Major League, and Bob Jacobs, Surf Director, is also the DCI Marketing Director! Back in the day of local and regional atmospheres, most people would have stayed to support the local home team if they went on last. But today, the fans are geared and marketed toward by DCI that once the National Majors are done, time to go home. So, this decision by Bob Jacobs to put Surf on last was either a scheduling mistake, where he did not know better, or an experiment to see if people would support the smaller local group. My guess was it was an experiment because Bob is a smart person, and he probably wanted to test the G7 assertion that people only come to see the big corps; well he found out the hard way.

Shows used to go on in the rain; without lightning, of course. Now, the mere threat of rain will cause panic among the protectors of all the expensive and precious electronic "drum corps" equipment. :thumbup:

aaah. Congratulations! I wondered who would seize the opportunity to rip on electronics in this thread. You win! :tongue:

Just ask the Madison Scouts about performing in the rain in Jackson.

Someone a few posts ago mentioned a contribution-speaking as a tax professional, if you are donating to a non profit 501©3 registered non profit, you are allowed to deduct your donation less the value of any benefit you derived from it. So, if the sponsor of the Naperville show is a 501©3 non profit, and you purchased tickets but there was no performances, you can deduct the cost of the tickets on Schedule A of your federal income tax return. Similarly, if the face value of the tickets is lets say $35 each and you buy two tickets with a $100 check and tell them to keep the difference, you could deduct the $30. If some of the corps performed and the rest were cancelled by rain out, it would be reasonable to deduct an amount based on the percentage of corps that went on...for example, if the tickets were $30 each, with six corps scheduled and two performed, then the perceived value of each performance would have been $5, and since two performed you deduct that from the price of the tickets and are left with $20 which is what I would deduct in that case. At least then, you get some benefit and the tickets are not a total waste.