Rainouts and Refunds

So, when put into context, are you saying that Cowtown using the word "Good" in reference to some corps' does not cause the reader to infer that the other corps' are "Bad"? I remember a former President that tried using that logic by stating it depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. Words have meaning and they also have antonyms. The word Good has a converse; and that word is Bad. So do not think that I just skimmed over the posting and did not actually read it. Cowtown might not have meant to imply that other corps were Bad, but by referencing some corps' as Good, there is no other way for the reader to infer the usage of the word Good.

For those playing along at home: Cowtown repeated what SOMEBODY ELSE said.

Got it?

Cowtown didn't imply any #### thing about any corps. He reported somebody else's words.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those playing along at home: Cowtown repeated what SOMEBODY ELSE said.

Got it?

Cowtown didn't imply any #### thing about any corps. He reported somebody else's words.

This is not anything personal; I am sure that Cowrtown is a wonderful individual. However, in full context, by Cowtwon using the phrase "but to kind-of quote one of those local people that sat next to me", and by stating that "it seemed reasonable to me", Cowtown was actually agreeing with the idea that good corps should be placed ahead of the bad corps. Here is Cowtown's exact post:

"I'm hesitant to go into this because some will use rainouts to push their indoor d/c agenda, (at least outdoors I'll buy a ticket and risk eating it) but to kind-of quote one of those local people that sat next to me…we saw one corps last years and two and a half this year; why don't they put the good corps on first if they might have to cancel so we at least see them?

seemed reasonable to me, considering the delay, day and radar, there was enough time for corps to adjust...it was doubtful they'd get the entire show in anyway"

So please stop playing the it depends on what the word "is" is games!

Edited by Stu

I remember sitting at quarterfinals in 1999....a couple of women walked in and sat next to me. It was their first show. I struck up a conversation with them, and they said they came because they heard it was like professional marching band.

They could only stay for the first 3 hours, and were expecting the performances to live up to the promise....in short, they walked away saying they had seen as good or better from high school marching bands and didn't understand what the big deal was. It made me wonder how often that has happened.

I remember sitting at quarterfinals in 1999....a couple of women walked in and sat next to me. It was their first show. I struck up a conversation with them, and they said they came because they heard it was like professional marching band.

They could only stay for the first 3 hours, and were expecting the performances to live up to the promise....in short, they walked away saying they had seen as good or better from high school marching bands and didn't understand what the big deal was. It made me wonder how often that has happened.

We should just have a drum corps GONG so if you think they're not a "good" corps, you won't need to sit through the whole show. Where is this thread going?

This exemplifies the problem with trying to make DCI Marching Music Major League while also trying to keep it a youth based activity. It creates false expectations for the fans, and it diminishes the efforts of most of the corps that compete in DCI which have a younger average age.

We should just have a drum corps GONG so if you think they're not a "good" corps, you won't need to sit through the whole show. Where is this thread going?

We are discussing what show sponsors should do in case of rain; and there was a comment that the "good" corps should be allowed to bump the other corps if rain is in the forecast. So this thread is going in the direction of what to do in case of a possible rain out.

Edited by Stu

Just ask the Madison Scouts about performing in the rain in Jackson.

Someone a few posts ago mentioned a contribution-speaking as a tax professional, if you are donating to a non profit 501©3 registered non profit, you are allowed to deduct your donation less the value of any benefit you derived from it. So, if the sponsor of the Naperville show is a 501©3 non profit, and you purchased tickets but there was no performances, you can deduct the cost of the tickets on Schedule A of your federal income tax return. Similarly, if the face value of the tickets is lets say $35 each and you buy two tickets with a $100 check and tell them to keep the difference, you could deduct the $30. If some of the corps performed and the rest were cancelled by rain out, it would be reasonable to deduct an amount based on the percentage of corps that went on...for example, if the tickets were $30 each, with six corps scheduled and two performed, then the perceived value of each performance would have been $5, and since two performed you deduct that from the price of the tickets and are left with $20 which is what I would deduct in that case. At least then, you get some benefit and the tickets are not a total waste.

I would not follow this advice. First, you cannot be certain that the entity you purchased tickets from is in fact a 501©(3) organization. Second, under current IRS rules, you would need a receipt. Speaking from experience, contact information to provide a receipt is not available for well over half in attendance, and the cost of attempting to issue receipts for "donations" would be expensive and burdensome - especially when it was a purchase of a ticket, not a donation. Third, you did not make a donation. You bought a ticket. The terms of the ticket indicate there are no refunds or exchanges, and no make-up dates if it rains (standard terms on the tickets). If it rains, you cannot decide you didn't purchase a ticket and decide you made a donation. This is no different than purchasing a ticket and deciding not to use it. It does not become a donation.

I've been thinking about this alot since Saturday's major washout.......I think perhaps DCI needs to give a bit more to the fans than "oh, well" when this happens. Nobody can control the weather, and I also understand that the money is pretty much spent even before it comes in, so I understand the whole no-refund thing. I do have an idea........

When a contest is rained out.....partially, fully, nothing, or standstill......

If a fan keeps their ticket stub, and when they order a ticket for the same show next year.....they produce that ticket stub in person or by mail.....they get a discount on the ticket for the show. It would be a little bit of a give back, and may cause more fans to come back. When a new, casual fan shows up at a show, weather goes nuts, and they get nothing.....they are not likely to return.................

GB

instead of a refund, maybe a deeply discounted log-in for a webcast? free ticket to quarterfinals broadcast? (or a refund if ticket is purchased, to avoid people selling a ticket that was just handed to them...)